Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-19-2017, 02:27 PM   #2611
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by glimm View Post
Today arrived my new Voyage bought from conrad.de. It was also on firmware 5.8.9.0.1.

Successfully jailbreaked it and then installed firmware 5.8.10. All is working.

Thanks!
And thank you for another confirmation.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:52 AM   #2612
milo1984
milo1984 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
No, you can't.

The device is either still jail broken or it is not, if not, using the serial port is the only way to jailbreak 5.8.10

What you now need to do is install the package attached to:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...69&postcount=5
Put it in the top of visible USB storage, disconnect the USB cord, use UYK (Update Your Kindle) menu entry to install it.
(and if that doesn't work, try the package attached to the post above that one)

You will then have to re-install anything that no longer seems to work (which is normal after an Amazon update).

= = = = =

The only thing about step #7 is the addition of the FOLDER NAME given in that step, into the top level of visible USB storage.

It would be nice to know for certain if it had been there and what firmware version you had been running.
It would have told us if there was a specific firmware version that could defeat that method of OTA protection.
(In the distant past, there had been at least a few versions that could defeat it, but nothing in the recent firmware versions could.)
But all of that will have to remain a mystery in this case.
Understood. I think I'll hold fire for now as the reason I "jailbroke" the device in the first place was to allow me to organise by subfolders, which I still couldn't do easily.

Thanks again for your help, and sorry I couldn't provide more info.
milo1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 05:24 AM   #2613
fonix232
Enthusiast
fonix232 doesn't litterfonix232 doesn't litter

Device: KOA4
Quote:
The circumstance are not the same, or even similar.
Hmm. So we don't have N+1 models where model AND firmware version decides the way of doing the jailbreak?

Quote:
Every "jail break" of a Kindle has used a different vector.
Hence, a process that differs for every vector.
Yes, just like with the 3DS (check the git repo of the guide I linked, since it's open source, you can see all the revisions). The point is not to re-write the whole freaking thing, but to have a single, organized repository of all guides and files that can easily updated. Which is pretty much why the 3ds.guide page was created.

Quote:
But if you think it can be done, why don't you open a public site using one of your own servers and domain names and start writing?
Of course it can be done. Why didn't I do it yet? Because 1, I am not even close to being an expert or even a novice regarding the Kindle scene, OS, jailbreaks, whatnot, 2, I do not have the time. It was a suggestion, not an instruction, or a command.

Quote:
The firmware for all models prior to the PW2 are no longer being changed by Amazon, which means that the jail breaks for all of them, for all the firmware versions they run, are still valid as written at this site.
And you have the sticky jail break index to guide you.
Just start at the K2 (the K1 does not require a jail break) directions and work forward. You only have the directions for less than 80 models to re-write to your own satisfaction.
Again, it was an instruction. You know, even though you can afford to be a jerk because you achieved quite much in the scene, it does not mean that you have to be one because someone suggests something that you do not agree with completely.
fonix232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:49 AM   #2614
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonix232 View Post
- - - -
Again, it was an instruction. You know, even though you can afford to be a jerk because you achieved quite much in the scene, it does not mean that you have to be one because someone suggests something that you do not agree with completely.
We have a Wiki.
The Wiki is open to updates by anyone, not just members of the site.

You know what you want, you can translate that into an outline in the form of headers on the Wiki page(s).
Something you already know, how you want the content organized.

Everything is already written down, unchanging, only not in the form to fit your outline.
It only requires read and re-entry to fit your form.
Your post demonstrates that you can do that also.

So if you want to call my encouragement that you contribute what you suggest as being a jerk, I guess it is true, I am a jerk.
Just think of my being a jerk a privileged of age.
I am not the only member here in their 70's, you will meet others of my generation also.
That you can think of as a test of your: "jerk tolerance".
Old 09-22-2017, 11:51 AM   #2615
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
We have a Wiki.
The Wiki is open to updates by anyone, not just members of the site.

You know what you want, you can translate that into an outline in the form of headers on the Wiki page(s).
Something you already know, how you want the content organized.

Everything is already written down, unchanging, only not in the form to fit your outline.
It only requires read and re-entry to fit your form.
Your post demonstrates that you can do that also.

So if you want to call my encouragement that you contribute what you suggest as being a jerk, I guess it is true, I am a jerk.
Just think of my being a jerk a privileged of age.
I am not the only member here in their 70's, you will meet others of my generation also.
That you can think of as a test of your: "jerk tolerance".
Yes and if one chooses to be rude to the older members, they might have to deal with not only the older member, but the half century members that don't take kindly to their elders being disrespected.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:54 AM   #2616
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hmm. So we don't have N+1 models where model AND firmware version decides the way of doing the jailbreak?

Yes, just like with the 3DS (check the git repo of the guide I linked, since it's open source, you can see all the revisions). The point is not to re-write the whole freaking thing, but to have a single, organized repository of all guides and files that can easily updated. Which is pretty much why the 3ds.guide page was created.

Of course it can be done. Why didn't I do it yet? Because 1, I am not even close to being an expert or even a novice regarding the Kindle scene, OS, jailbreaks, whatnot, 2, I do not have the time. It was a suggestion, not an instruction, or a command.

He wasn't being a jerk, he was pointing out that all the instructions are available and if you think it needs put together feel free to use your time to do that.
Don't think others will do it for you.
Remember the old adage: if you want something done, do it yourself.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:22 PM   #2617
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I know it's a bit far-fetched, but take a look at https://3ds.guide/ - a Nintendo 3DS hacking (jailbreaking) guide.

Since there are multiple models and firmware versions, this guide was made so that the most simplistic user can go through with it, in a wizard style. I think something similar would make Kindle jailbreakers' work a bit easier (and by that I mean the Regular Joe who happens on this thread and wants to open up their device, not the actual developers who know every step on every firmware version even if woken up from their best dream).

I understand that this would be a great effort in the beginning, but it would make things simpler on the long run.
Quote:
- - - -
Of course it can be done. Why didn't I do it yet? Because
1, I am not even close to being an expert or even a novice regarding the Kindle scene, OS, jailbreaks, whatnot,
2, I do not have the time.
- - - -
Users of this forum and the Wiki are the source of all content.
There is not an editorial staff that makes up this content, it is all provided by users like yourself.

So I guess you now know why the jail breaks are not described here the way you suggest:

Because of the reasons you list as to why you haven't done it (yet).
Old 09-23-2017, 02:30 PM   #2618
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Can we help to a man? He got PW3 with 5.8.9.0.1, NOT registered, automatic updates NOT disabled.
Installed initial factory firmware, then successfully applied jailbreak, then (don't ask why) without hotfix turned off airplane mode, registered the device and immediately got automatic update to 5.8.10.
Now he cannot install neither niluje's hotfix, nor the coplate's one.

Last edited by hius07; 09-23-2017 at 03:27 PM.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 04:37 PM   #2619
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
Can we help to a man? He got PW3 with 5.8.9.0.1, NOT registered, automatic updates NOT disabled.
Installed initial factory firmware, then successfully applied jailbreak, then (don't ask why) without hotfix turned off airplane mode, registered the device and immediately got automatic update to 5.8.10.
Now he cannot install neither niluje's hotfix, nor the coplate's one.
No way to get out of that one, other than use the serial port jail break.

An Amazon update will write over our certificate file and without the "survival code" installed, it is gone forever.

Last edited by knc1; 09-23-2017 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:45 PM   #2620
saluli
Connoisseur
saluli began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3,
Ok. I am a little confused if my kindle can be jailbroken after so many posts.

It's a PW3, on 5.8.9.0.1 (3175970011). (The serial number is important? I can post it if is needed).
No special offers either, they don't sell them on Brazil.

Just opened the box and did not registered or turn on Wi-Fi before.

Should I try to downgrade? And which steps should I follow? Saw a few posts ago that there are 2 methods?

I love the covers hack and collections manager, even if I never really got how to use Koreader. But I can't even say how a serial port looks like, so this method will not help me.

I will wait some answers before I do something that can damage JB chances.

Thanks in advance.

Enviado de meu XT1635-02 usando Tapatalk
saluli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 02:49 PM   #2621
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by saluli View Post
Ok. I am a little confused if my kindle can be jailbroken after so many posts.

It's a PW3, on 5.8.9.0.1 (3175970011). (The serial number is important? I can post it if is needed).
No special offers either, they don't sell them on Brazil.

Just opened the box and did not registered or turn on Wi-Fi before.

Should I try to downgrade? And which steps should I follow? Saw a few posts ago that there are 2 methods?

I love the covers hack and collections manager, even if I never really got how to use Koreader. But I can't even say how a serial port looks like, so this method will not help me.

I will wait some answers before I do something that can damage JB chances.

Thanks in advance.

Enviado de meu XT1635-02 usando Tapatalk
I believe that any new fresh-out-of-the-box paperwhite should be able to do the downgrade.

Follow the steps to check your serial number for the right "factory" download.

Pay attention to the notes that the factory downgrade takes a long time ( 10-20 minutes ).

To skip the wifi setup step, get the paperwhite to the screen where it asks you to connect to wifi, but then press [x] in the corner.

One other thing to note: When you do register after the jailbreak is complete, I believe it removes the 'hotfix'.

So my method ( please read all the instuctions, this is just the short version of some of them )

Downgrade.
Create the 'update blocker folder"
Connect to wifi.
Register
Install jailbreak and everything else.

Last edited by coplate; 09-25-2017 at 02:53 PM.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:08 PM   #2622
knc1
Going Viral

As if the directions where not long enough already, I just made them longer to cover a couple of recent complaints.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:18 PM   #2623
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Is this sentence correct?
The factory images **are not** model locked, your care taken with this step is your Kindle's only protection! If not found in the table, STOP HERE and tell us.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:33 PM   #2624
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Is this sentence correct?
The factory images **are not** model locked, your care taken with this step is your Kindle's only protection! If not found in the table, STOP HERE and tell us.
Yes, that is still correct.
We handle anything not in the table, or marked in the table as "not supported" one user at a time.
The reason is because there could be exceptions.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:24 PM   #2625
saluli
Connoisseur
saluli began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3,
Question

[QUOTE=coplate;3585217

One other thing to note: When you do register after the jailbreak is complete, I believe it removes the 'hotfix'.

So my method ( please read all the instuctions, this is just the short version of some of them )

Downgrade.
Create the 'update blocker folder"
Connect to wifi.
Register
Install jailbreak and everything else.[/QUOTE]

I managed to downgrade, register, and I think Imanages to JB, considering ther is a document saying "you are jailbroken" on my kindle.

But I still cannot make KUAL works, it says it is not signed. I tried rereading all the topics and installing again the JB, but is grayed out. I tried to istall mkk also, but it does not work.

I spent hours on every post and still cannot find my error. Could be a fault of my english (non-native) or my lack of tech abilities... I am totally lost here

saluli is offline   Reply With Quote