Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 12-22-2009, 04:57 AM   #1
ChrisDolley
Author
ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: none
Does a novelette need a TOC?

I'm bringing out a 13,000 word eNovelette through Book View Cafe next month and I'd like opinions as to whether I need a TOC for it. It has no chapters and if I was publishing it in a print mag I wouldn't worry about this at all. There are about a dozen scenes - each delimited by a scene break line of 'oOo' centred.

But would ebook readers prefer the scenes were converted into clickable scenes/chapters?

Chris

Resonance (Baen)
Shift (Baen)
www.chris-dolley.com

Last edited by ChrisDolley; 12-22-2009 at 05:01 AM. Reason: forgot sig
ChrisDolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 05:06 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
If it's not clearly delineated into sections or chapters then I wouldn't add a TOC.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2009, 12:05 AM   #3
Simon Wood
Addict
Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
If it's not clearly delineated into sections or chapters then I wouldn't add a TOC.
Ditto...
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:16 AM   #4
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
You might like to divide the scenes per chapter break which breaks the scenes up neatly without having to insert a TOC in your book! This can be done with Sigil, for example!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:50 AM   #5
ChrisDolley
Author
ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Thanks all for your input. I'll proceed without the TOC.
Advert
Old 12-24-2009, 09:02 AM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good idea, Chris. Apart from anything else, the page numbers in an ebook (depending on format and device) are unlikely to correspond with a table of contents.

Much depends on your text layout. If you are using no indentations and a line break between paragraphs (common ebook structure), separate sections with a device like *** or oOo. If you're using traditional layout (no line breaks between pars), DO NOT indent the first line of the first par of each section (indent first line of all following pars) and simply leave two line breaks between sections.

Good luck. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:06 AM   #7
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Good idea, Chris. Apart from anything else, the page numbers in an ebook (depending on format and device) are unlikely to correspond with a table of contents.

Much depends on your text layout. If you are using no indentations and a line break between paragraphs (common ebook structure), separate sections with a device like *** or oOo. If you're using traditional layout (no line breaks between pars), DO NOT indent the first line of the first par of each section (indent first line of all following pars) and simply leave two line breaks between sections.

Good luck. Neil
But your TOC doesn't need to have page numbers anyway, Neil. A TOC consists of anchors and links, where the anchors are the chpater titles. and the links are in the Contents section!

Merry Christmas!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:32 AM   #8
ChrisDolley
Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
If you're using traditional layout (no line breaks between pars), DO NOT indent the first line of the first par of each section (indent first line of all following pars) and simply leave two line breaks between sections.

Good luck. Neil
Hi Neil, I've seen this advice before - not indenting the first para - and it struck me as odd - never having noticed it in a printed publication. So I've just done a quick check of my library and print publishers seem split - some don't indent, some do, some go for the enlarged first character. So I think it's a matter of taste.

Though, talking about removing para indents, what I'd really like to do is remove the para indent from the copyright page of my book. I've tried putting style="text-indent: 0," on the copyright paras and it works for some ebook formats via Calibre but not on most.

Chris

Resonance (Baen)
Shift (Baen)

www.chris-dolley.com
Old 12-24-2009, 11:22 AM   #9
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Pretty well any print book you grab from your shelf will follow my layout advice, Chris. But it really ain't no big deal with ebooks.

MT: Point taken. I'm afraid -- even as a devout reader of ebooks -- I still think in terms of print whenever I offer editorial advice.

Best. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
short stories, toc