Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-28-2014, 12:06 AM   #1
yochaigal
yochaigal began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
After 3.12 update, I get a residue on wake-up of screensaver

Hello all.
I've had my Kobo Aura HD for a little under a year; great device. After the recent 3.12 update however I've noticed exactly ONE problem: if I close my sleep cover (the official one) and let the Kobo sleep for more than ~5 hours or so, upon wakeup I will see a weird "meshed" or "burned-in" page mixed in to whatever page I was one in the book + the screensaver (book cover). It goes away after a refresh (page turn). This happens no matter what book I'm reading!
I will have to wait until tomorrow for enough time to pass for this problem to re-occur, so I can post pictures.
Anyone seen this?
yochaigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 12:18 AM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Yes, that seems to be the same on all devices with firmware 3.11.0 and 3.12.0

Although I don't have a sleepcover to test, I think there are actually two seperate problems:

1. The screen doesn't refresh when woken by opening the sleepcover (this problem doesn't happen if woken with the switch.)

2. The page shown upon waking is has very light text, which darkens to normal when the page is turned. (I think this problem might make the first problem appear even worse when using a sleepcover, as the ghosting from the sleep screen is more noticable when the text is very light.)
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2014, 02:36 AM   #3
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Yes--I see the same thing on my HD. If I set the page refresh to one, it of course goes away after the first page turn. But, I like the page refresh set at six, so that's where I leave it. If it's bad enough to be really bothersome, I just turn the page back and forth six times to trigger a refresh before reading.

It's my understanding that this is only a problem when waking with the sleep cover. If you use the switch to wake the reader, it doesn't exhibit ghosting of the title page. So another option, it the display is too bad is to turn the reader off and on with the switch.

Hopefully Kobo will fix this in their next firmware update...but I'm not holding my breath.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 08:02 PM   #4
christopher22
Zealot
christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.

Device: Kobo Aura & Touch
Ghosting

I was wondering about this.
I have this on my Kobo Aura (nonHD) as well. Firmware 3.12. No sleepcover.

It should most likely be fixed in a firmware update if enough people complain about it. I know of someone who returned their model for a different one because of this issue.

I'm keeping mine. It's not a deal breaker for me. I hope for a fix in a update release.

Last edited by christopher22; 12-28-2014 at 08:02 PM. Reason: adding
christopher22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 08:07 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yochaigal View Post
Hello all.
I've had my Kobo Aura HD for a little under a year; great device. After the recent 3.12 update however I've noticed exactly ONE problem: if I close my sleep cover (the official one) and let the Kobo sleep for more than ~5 hours or so, upon wakeup I will see a weird "meshed" or "burned-in" page mixed in to whatever page I was one in the book + the screensaver (book cover). It goes away after a refresh (page turn). This happens no matter what book I'm reading!
I will have to wait until tomorrow for enough time to pass for this problem to re-occur, so I can post pictures.
Anyone seen this?
It's not a screensaver as eInk doesn't need to be saved. It's just a cover showing you what you are currently reading.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2014, 08:09 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Yes--I see the same thing on my HD. If I set the page refresh to one, it of course goes away after the first page turn. But, I like the page refresh set at six, so that's where I leave it. If it's bad enough to be really bothersome, I just turn the page back and forth six times to trigger a refresh before reading.
You do not have to set the page refresh to one. On my H2O, all I have to do is turn the page and it's back to normal. Text is what it should be.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:10 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher22 View Post
I was wondering about this.
I have this on my Kobo Aura (nonHD) as well. Firmware 3.12. No sleepcover.

It should most likely be fixed in a firmware update if enough people complain about it. I know of someone who returned their model for a different one because of this issue.

I'm keeping mine. It's not a deal breaker for me. I hope for a fix in a update release.
I was using a T1 with a modified reading app that allowed the screen to be updated without the flash and the number of page turns before the flash to be user set. I got used to a similar lighter page on wake with the T1 because the T1 did not flash when it woke.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:33 PM   #8
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You do not have to set the page refresh to one. On my H2O, all I have to do is turn the page and it's back to normal. Text is what it should be.
That doesn't work for me on my Aura HD--Firmware 3.11. When I turn on my reader by opening the sleepcover, there is ghosting from the cover remaining on the screen. Depending on how dark the cover is, this can be distracting. To completely get rid of the image, I either have to turn the reader off and on with the switch or turn the page six times to force a refresh. The other option would be to change the refresh to refresh every page, then the ghosting would be gone with one page turn. But--as I said in my previous post, I leave my page refresh at the max (6 in the case of the Aura HD) and simply page back and forth six times if the ghosting is too distracting.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:34 PM   #9
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
That doesn't work for me on my Aura HD--Firmware 3.11. When I turn on my reader by opening the sleepcover, there is ghosting from the cover remaining on the screen. Depending on how dark the cover is, this can be distracting. To completely get rid of the image, I either have to turn the reader off and on with the switch or turn the page six times to force a refresh. The other option would be to change the refresh to refresh every page, then the ghosting would be gone with one page turn. But--as I said in my previous post, I leave my page refresh at the max (6 in the case of the Aura HD) and simply page back and forth six times if the ghosting is too distracting.
Ditto for me (when it was happening). For whatever reason, I don't get the heavy-duty ghosting anymore, but I have no idea why it went away. I am on FW 3.11.0.
icallaci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:37 PM   #10
Cecell3000
Enthusiast
Cecell3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cecell3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cecell3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cecell3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cecell3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cecell3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cecell3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cecell3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cecell3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cecell3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cecell3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Bug Fixed Here.
Cecell3000 is offline   Reply With Quote