Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-19-2018, 10:08 AM   #1981
tessa33
tessa33 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G + Wifi
Thank you!

@ilovejedd:

Thank you thank you! Your tip helped me officially get jailbroken (I have the doc 'You are Jailbroken' now!!) and get KUAL installed.

I'm one step closer to where I need to go! (Ultimately I'm trying to install LibrarianSync so I can have Calibre manage my collections - that's the end goal!)

Next step was to install Python (per LibrarianSync requirements on https://github.com/barsanuphe/librar...ster/README.md) -

I downloaded the
'kindle-python-0.14.N-pw2_kt2_kv_pw3_koa_kt3.zip', unzipped it, and dropped the file into the 'mrpackages' folder and used ;log mrpi to install it. I *hope* that's correct? (is there any way to verify it was installed correctly?)

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to install LibrarianSync - I downloaded the LibrarianSync 1.10.tar.gz file from (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=2903535) and have tried to drag the entire folder, as well as unzipped versions of the folder into the 'extensions' folder of the Kindle, but that doesn't seem to be working, since it doesn't show up on KUAL like it's supposed to. I even tried putting the Update_librariansync_1.10_kindle5.bin file into the 'mrpackages' folder and using ';log mrpi to install it but that didn't seem to work either.

**edit - figured it out! Had to download the files directly from GitHub (https://github.com/barsanuphe/librariansync) - and use the green 'Clone or download' button on the top right to download it. Then moved the librariansync folder into the extensions folder per the installation instructions and now it shows up in KUAL! Whoohoo!!

Now...I *think* I need the Collections Manager plugin, I'm not entirely positive. Off to do some more reading and looking through threads to figure out what I need to do!

Thanks all - and thank you SO VERY much to all of the developers out there who make all this possible!!

Last edited by tessa33; 12-19-2018 at 10:33 AM.
tessa33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 11:32 AM   #1982
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessa33 View Post
I downloaded the
'kindle-python-0.14.N-pw2_kt2_kv_pw3_koa_kt3.zip', unzipped it, and dropped the file into the 'mrpackages' folder and used ;log mrpi to install it. I *hope* that's correct? (is there any way to verify it was installed correctly?)
I think that Python version might be too old. Use the one from NiLuJe's snapshots. You can check <KindleDriveLetter>:\extensions\MRInstaller\log\mr installer.log to see if there were any errors with installing packages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Packages targeting the Kindle 5 (Touch/PW1/PW2/KT2/KV/PW3/KOA/KT3/KOA2/PW4):

Note, there's a bug in the Dec 10 Python release so you'll need to make a minor change.

From LibrarianSync thread:
Quote:
Okay, confirmed, and tracked down to a bad interaction between Python 2, and the current unreleased requests/urllib3 versions I'm using.

Next snapshots will be fixed, but they won't come until I'm done with other things, so, in the meantime:

In /mnt/us/python/lib/python2.7/site-packages/requests/models.py around L392 (basically just above the offending unicode_is_ascii call), insert:

Code:
        if is_py2:
            host = unicode(host)
Honoring the whitespace *exactly* (this is Python, indent > everything, as it should!).
On Windows, that /mnt/us/ is just the drive letter for your Kindle (e.g. F:\ ). Also, probably best to move further discussion to the LibrarianSync thread.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 12-19-2018 at 11:40 AM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2018, 01:16 AM   #1983
Vidyvideni
Vidyvideni began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle oasis
KUAL not survived after I upgrade my jailbreak device to 5.10.2, can't see the KUAL luancher
Vidyvideni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 01:33 AM   #1984
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidyvideni View Post
KUAL not survived after I upgrade my jailbreak device to 5.10.2, can't see the KUAL luancher
Please do not double post.

That is: re-read the forum guidelines again.
(link at bottom of every page)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:49 PM   #1985
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Vidyvideni: And re-read the JB & KUAL FAQ while you're at it .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2018, 02:12 PM   #1986
bloor
bloor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG 3.2.1
Hello,

Absolute nooblet (with Windows) here. Objective is simply to us KOreader whose instructions mention you need to have KUAL installed. Have a Kindle DX (Franken'ed it to 3.2.1). Have followed instructions. Installed everything. Just unable to see a Launch KUAL option here. Dont have library view obviously.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Spent 3 days on this. Will continue using the older pdfviewer (Shift P D) in the meantime. Have tried to use Launchpad prior to this but unsuccessful

- Thank you for all your time and effort over the years
bloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 04:06 PM   #1987
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@bloor: If memory serves me, yeah, getting Kindlets (f.g., KUAL) to run on Frankensteined DXs is a bit of an uphill battle, so that's not terribly surprising.

I vaguely think someone figured out how to do it, but I wouldn't know where the hell to point you to, unfortunately :/.

EDIT: Haha! Turns out I'm awesome (and/or I know how liable I am to forget shit like that so I tend to write it down ;p), and this was in the FAQ .

EDIT²: This *may* be DXg specific, so original DX users, beware!

Last edited by NiLuJe; 12-21-2018 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:03 PM   #1988
bloor

Quote:
@bloor: If memory serves me, yeah, getting Kindlets (f.g., KUAL) to run on Frankensteined DXs is a bit of an uphill battle, so that's not terribly surprising.

I vaguely think someone figured out how to do it, but I wouldn't know where the hell to point you to, unfortunately :/.

EDIT: Haha! Turns out I'm awesome (and/or I know how liable I am to forget shit like that so I tend to write it down ;p), and this was in the FAQ .

EDIT²: This *may* be DXg specific, so original DX users, beware!
NiLuJe, thank you for keeping everything going for so long!

I did look at your FAQ and I did try the steps:

The TJW post mentions:
"NOTE:
This script will patch better if 2.5.8 files are provided, you can either put
KindleDeviceServicesTN-1.0.jar under /mnt/us/deviceHack
or rootfs.img under /mnt/us/output/ (generated by yifanlu's updater)
or rootfs.img under /mnt/us/deviceHack/"

I have an international DX frankened to a DXG frankened to 3.3...sooo tough.

I do not have the original 2.5.8 files.
Placing "KindleDeviceServicesTN-1.0.jar under /mnt/us/deviceHack" was unsuccessful.

Its a great device...dusted off after several years so obviously can use it. Just that KOreader sounds nice. Would there be another way to load it on this device without KUAL or KPV Booklet? (Tried without success). Launchpad?

Will give up otherwise

Thank you
Old 12-21-2018, 08:32 PM   #1989
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@bloor: Sure, LP should work, you'll just have to setup the key-bindings yourself, asking it to launch /mnt/us/koreader/koreader.sh --kual /mnt/us/documents

I don't rightly recall how LP handles user-configuration, but that should work .
Old 12-21-2018, 08:39 PM   #1990
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The DX(G) has a keyboard.
KOReader is for touch screen devices.

There is an (old) fork of KOReader for the keyboard devices.
Hasn't been maintained for a long time.

Consider getting a newer model (the "Kindle Basic" (KT3) is reasonably priced and if you can find (from Amazon, not a third party) a "re-furbished" PW3, it will be your best bet for the money).

I do recall that at least one person in your situation just re-installed 2.5.8 and then JB and installed whatever they wanted.
Note: Follow our old(er) de-bricking directions to locate where we hide the complete keyboard system image files.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:11 PM   #1991
bloor

Thank you for all the options gents. Will soldier on for now. I can afford another device but stubbornly sticking to this as long as possible

And again, thank you for maintaining all of this.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:22 PM   #1992
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@knc1/@bloor: Current KOReader versions should be mostly feature-complete on touch-less devices .

There's a few minor widgets that might not be usable, but it's generally okay now .
Old 12-21-2018, 11:12 PM   #1993
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
@knc1/@bloor: Current KOReader versions should be mostly feature-complete on touch-less devices .

There's a few minor widgets that might not be usable, but it's generally okay now .
Nice to know. I don't use it myself.

Since the person (geekmaster) who had the account which held all of the old recovery images died;
those things may have disappeared.
I never thought to check before I suggested that someone look for them.
(I do have a complete set of devices running 2.5.8 if we need to recreate system recovery images.)
Old 12-23-2018, 11:41 AM   #1994
blaser
Enthusiast
blaser began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Tried to follow the instructions, I have a dxg with version 3.3 installed.
installed MKK first, successful.
copied the file KUAL-KDK-1.0.azw2 to the document folder
copied the helper folder under the extensions.
copied the file KUAL.cfg to the extensions folder.
I cannot see anything different and not a new kindlet.
blaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 12:47 PM   #1995
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@blaser: We've just covered the "3.x on a DX(g)" case like, three posts above yours...

Tags
kindle touch, kindle touch hacks, kindlet, kual, launcher, launcher add-ons, paperwhite, sqlite, unified