Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-04-2011, 03:29 PM   #106
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
You are a lucky gal. A frugal man is good. As you go through life you will see many of examples of couples who fail because of poor finances. It is the same in literature. Of course a frugal gal is a help to the couple too.

On a personal note, I kicked my first wife to the curb because she spent all my money when I wasn't looking or away, put us in debt, and lied constantly about it. Other than that she was perfect.

I just couldn't afford her.
Thinking it about it, she did O.K. She kept marrying up. Her current husband made Admiral about 3 years ago. Poor sucker. (I emphasize the "poor.")
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:38 PM   #107
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks
emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: HTC Flyer; Kobo WiFi
Frugal ... to a point. He's the type that loves really high end stuff, but wants it cheap. Sometimes he gets his way, after a very agonizing search. Or he buys it anyway (like his big, flat screen monitor), and now he wants a bigger TV. I'm actually cheaper than him. ;-) Mostly when it comes to clothes (I rock that clearance rack hard ;-)), cars, computers, etc. This tablet is my splurge (and at this point a frustrating quest).

Hmm, $199 on Amazon? No choice in colors, but that's completely frivolous. Notice there is no mention of Google's app market. My bad, it's in the description. How terrible is it I'm tempted to order through Amazon? Cheaper, good return policies, etc. Oooooh dear ...

Last edited by emilikins; 11-04-2011 at 03:44 PM. Reason: correction
emilikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2011, 03:47 PM   #108
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilikins View Post
...Notice there is no mention of Google's app market.[/COLOR] My bad, it's in the description...
That's the same blurb that appears in the description of the K1. Isn't that the model that's currently being discussed in the Lenovo forum (no full access to Android Market or whatever the deal is)?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:56 PM   #109
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks
emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Yeah. I was at first thinking Lenovo dropped the Market ad, but it appears not. It's a problem across all their tablets apparently. But Lenovo keeps advertising it, despite Google saying no and end users getting error messages when they try to do that.

Still, for $199 for the 16GB, I'm still tempted. From Amazon. Thinking of calling them and asking what the ship date is, since I don't see it listed anywhere. The product's page is pretty bleak.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:05 PM   #110
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
You are a lucky gal. A frugal man is good. As you go through life you will see many of examples of couples who fail because of poor finances. It is the same in literature. Of course a frugal gal is a help to the couple too.

On a personal note, I kicked my first wife to the curb because she spent all my money when I wasn't looking or away, put us in debt, and lied constantly about it. Other than that she was perfect.

I just couldn't afford her.

Very compassionate of you btw, weren't you the guy talking about "helping" others by sharing books? And accusing those of us who said no of being uncaring?
Ah yea, here it is: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=596

Last edited by kennyc; 11-04-2011 at 04:11 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2011, 04:33 PM   #111
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks

Wow, kennyc, you've got a memory.

Slickdeals has a thread going with the Amazon pricing. Something interesting of note:
Quote:
Based upon my experience, the 1GHz A8 Cortex Processor is too slow. You do not mind it if you do not know any better. But, if you like or are use to speed, it will bother you.

The 1GHz A8 Cortex Processor is essentially the Apple A4 processor used in the iPad and iPhone 4. The A5 in the iPad2 and iPhone 4S has twice the processing speed and 9 times the graphics speed.
I know technically speed isn't relative, but what one person says is slow and another says is fine is definitely relative these days. I haven't heard people complain that the iPad is slow, so I shouldn't be too worried. I think the Flyer would have more legs, so to speak, with more RAM, speed, proven Market access, and the fact HTC has leaked its Honeycomb upgrade ... but is that worth $100 more?

I've put my Amazon pre-order in, so I can call dibs while thinking things over or watching for other deals. There isn't a release date yet, and I'm sure Lenovo is going to be busy handling their CS calls regarding the price differences as well as fulfilling preorders (someone's getting that white one I cancelled).
Old 11-04-2011, 04:42 PM   #112
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Wow, kennyc, you've got a memory.

Slickdeals has a thread going with the Amazon pricing. Something interesting of note:

I know technically speed isn't relative, but what one person says is slow and another says is fine is definitely relative these days. I haven't heard people complain that the iPad is slow, so I shouldn't be too worried. I think the Flyer would have more legs, so to speak, with more RAM, speed, proven Market access, and the fact HTC has leaked its Honeycomb upgrade ... but is that worth $100 more?

I've put my Amazon pre-order in, so I can call dibs while thinking things over or watching for other deals. There isn't a release date yet, and I'm sure Lenovo is going to be busy handling their CS calls regarding the price differences as well as fulfilling preorders (someone's getting that white one I cancelled).
And amazon is great for returns, etc.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:22 PM   #113
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks

Hmm, looks like my post didn't post earlier

On the Lenovo forums, someone pointed out that the model number on Amazon and Lenovo are different. A poster wondered if the Amazon ones didn't "make the cut" for Lenovo. Lurking around that community, those who've received A1s in other countries or have K1s say they're buggy/slow/DoA, etc.

I'm too lazy to go back and find the SlickDeals post lamenting that the Cortex processor is slow (of course, one person's slow is another's just fine) while at the same time saying it's the same as on the iPad (which I've never heard someone call slow).
Old 11-04-2011, 11:01 PM   #114
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Hmm, looks like my post didn't post earlier

On the Lenovo forums, someone pointed out that the model number on Amazon and Lenovo are different. A poster wondered if the Amazon ones didn't "make the cut" for Lenovo. Lurking around that community, those who've received A1s in other countries or have K1s say they're buggy/slow/DoA, etc.

I'm too lazy to go back and find the SlickDeals post lamenting that the Cortex processor is slow (of course, one person's slow is another's just fine) while at the same time saying it's the same as on the iPad (which I've never heard someone call slow).
Asia, particularly Russia and China got the first Lenovo A1s, and in any new manufacturing process, the first few months have the most defects. Even the vaunted Apple machine.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:27 AM   #115
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks

Quote:
Even the vaunted Apple machine.
You mean ... Apple has flaws, makes mistakes?! An Apple fanboy works in the next cubicle over. Anything something goes wrong in the library, he says, "Well, if we went Apple, this wouldn't happen." Then when the "smart cover" security flaw was revealed, we teased him with, "Oh, is that a new feature? Like dropped calls from holding the iPhone?" Every electronic manufacturer is going to incur problems, it's just Apple refuses to admit it that's annoying.

Check this out. I'm skeptical, though I've seen it pop up in a couple of random places (forums, blogs), but apparently the Amazon model number, aside from maybe coming with a different processor, will come with Windows 7 starter?!

Again, I don't know how to verify any of this, especially with 5400 rpm typos! Amazon now shows it's Android 2.3 now (apparently it previously showed Windows 7 Starter), the rpm (teehee), the processor we've seen most associated with the device, but it's weird that model isn't on their site (model # is MU, not EU).
Old 11-06-2011, 11:28 PM   #116
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You mean ... Apple has flaws, makes mistakes?! An Apple fanboy works in the next cubicle over. Anything something goes wrong in the library, he says, "Well, if we went Apple, this wouldn't happen." Then when the "smart cover" security flaw was revealed, we teased him with, "Oh, is that a new feature? Like dropped calls from holding the iPhone?" Every electronic manufacturer is going to incur problems, it's just Apple refuses to admit it that's annoying.

Check this out. I'm skeptical, though I've seen it pop up in a couple of random places (forums, blogs), but apparently the Amazon model number, aside from maybe coming with a different processor, will come with Windows 7 starter?!

Again, I don't know how to verify any of this, especially with 5400 rpm typos! Amazon now shows it's Android 2.3 now (apparently it previously showed Windows 7 Starter), the rpm (teehee), the processor we've seen most associated with the device, but it's weird that model isn't on their site (model # is MU, not EU).
There seems to be a little confusion on the Amazon site thus far. They will get it straight.
Ask your friend next door, if he has had battery problems with his 4S. The fix is on the way I understand.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:32 PM   #117
frahse
occasional author

What I have been looking for is a complete listing of I/O ports on the Lenovo.

This is getting down the the nitty-gritty.

I am about to buy at least one A1.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:44 AM   #118
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
In the end, it all boils down to: what are you willing to risk.... When I ordered my JE100 from the Chinese manufacturer 2 years ago, I was the very first. No reviews, only product descriptions. I have made use of it 2 years, until it was replaced by my Flyer. Never had any problems with it (except, by now, it really needs a new battery, but that's easily remedied as it requires a simple Nokia battery that can be user-replaced...)

I would have done the same with the Lenovo, except that they kept complete silence and then kept postponing the introduction date..
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:10 AM   #119
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks

Sweetpea, how you like your Flyer?

frahse, the cube neighbor doesn't have the 4s. I was referring to the problem with the previous iPhone on where they placed the antennae, so when you tried to use it as an actual phone, calling was unstable. Steve Jobs basically told everyone they're holding it wrong.

If the A1 works properly, I'm sure it'll be more value for the money as opposed to the HTC Flyer, for most people's needs. I just really don't like how Lenovo is handling things, especially on the customer service side. It's okay to tell us there is a back up in production for reasons x,y,z, but they don't even really do that or adequately explain the conflicting information from Google and their sales team on Market.

I really like the look of the A1 and wanted it to be my tablet, but I've gone sour. Maybe I'll have a change of a heart in the next few days. The fact it's priced the same as the Nook Color now (old, not new) and better spec'd should help it - as long as they get it out there and get their info straightened out.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:46 PM   #120
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Sweetpea, how you like your Flyer?

frahse, the cube neighbor doesn't have the 4s. I was referring to the problem with the previous iPhone on where they placed the antennae, so when you tried to use it as an actual phone, calling was unstable. Steve Jobs basically told everyone they're holding it wrong.

If the A1 works properly, I'm sure it'll be more value for the money as opposed to the HTC Flyer, for most people's needs. I just really don't like how Lenovo is handling things, especially on the customer service side. It's okay to tell us there is a back up in production for reasons x,y,z, but they don't even really do that or adequately explain the conflicting information from Google and their sales team on Market.

I really like the look of the A1 and wanted it to be my tablet, but I've gone sour. Maybe I'll have a change of a heart in the next few days. The fact it's priced the same as the Nook Color now (old, not new) and better spec'd should help it - as long as they get it out there and get their info straightened out.
On the Lenovo site for the A1, they say it has the Android market.