Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-26-2011, 02:52 PM   #121
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Now you're reduced to calling me a liar... normally I resist ignore but you have just become a viable candidate for the honour... and Dave Fischer was a L33tist jerk, late to the scene...
Not calling you a liar, just that it is surprising. Kind of one of those things you see so often, when you encounter someone that it is new to, you find it a bit unfathomable. I apologize though, I do not want to appear as if I was calling your honor and honesty into question.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:01 PM   #122
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Moderator Notice
Just a friendly reminder that here at MobileRead everyone is entitled to share his or her opinion politely and to receive the same in response.

Our posting guidelines are located here. Please take a moment to review them and our expectations for posting in our community.

The MobileRead Moderation Team
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2011, 03:10 PM   #123
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Good call Sharpe, It does not hurt to remind some of the basic rules

Let us not forget what this thread is about so if anyone spots hitherto undiscovered errors in the LOTR books, let the rest of us know. Thanks
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:21 PM   #124
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
That I find extremely hard to believe. I started with BBS's and moved to usenet and so on before there were browser based forums, and people generally were hypercritical when it came to post etiquette. I mean, there were HUGE flamewars about the subject after Eternal September.
I've been on-line when the dial-up speed was 300 baud. I've been on the very first BBS. So I've been online longer then most and I can say that we used to call people who top posted AOLers or weenies. And when the net became public, there were indeed a lot of arguments on how to post and that top posting was wrong. Top posting is still wrong.

elcreative, I'm sorry nobody every showed you how to properly reply to messages on a BBS, forum, & email. But top posting isn't conducive to want to read what you write. And if this forum had proper quoting, then your top posting would be even worse. So please do us a favor and stop top posting. I remember when the best way to get someone to stop top posting was to ignore that person's posts. Don't make us do that to you.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:09 PM   #125
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Please, please ignore if it'll stop this stupid nit-picking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've been on-line when the dial-up speed was 300 baud. I've been on the very first BBS. So I've been online longer then most and I can say that we used to call people who top posted AOLers or weenies. And when the net became public, there were indeed a lot of arguments on how to post and that top posting was wrong. Top posting is still wrong.

elcreative, I'm sorry nobody every showed you how to properly reply to messages on a BBS, forum, & email. But top posting isn't conducive to want to read what you write. And if this forum had proper quoting, then your top posting would be even worse. So please do us a favor and stop top posting. I remember when the best way to get someone to stop top posting was to ignore that person's posts. Don't make us do that to you.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2011, 04:15 PM   #126
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Silence everyone, how dare you all highjack this thread on errors in the LOTR books ?
The penalty for your unspeakable crimes against this thread is: I get to decide what is proper posting. But we must all agree my decision is absolute and flawless and all must accept it blindly and unquestioningly ! ok agreed.
The proper method of posting is ... whatever one I use. I'm glad we all agree.
There, can we now get back to topic please ?
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:26 PM   #127
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Top posting is what derailed the thread.

As for errors in TLOTR, does anyone happen to know why there are errors in the 3-in-1 that are not in the 1-in-1?

I've just realized that LOTR is incorrect. To be correct, it would have to be TLOTR since the second the gets a letter, then the first the must also have a letter.

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-26-2011 at 04:29 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:50 PM   #128
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For acronyms, if you're being proper, words like "the", "by", "of", "a", and "as" are not included, as only initial letters are included. That being said, it would make it LR, and non intial letters are included to be more specific, thus "LotR". Even when non-initial letters are included, general convention is to start only with the first initial letter.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:22 AM   #129
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Please, please ignore if it'll stop this stupid nit-picking...
Plonked.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:15 AM   #130
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Shouldn't you people be helping us all and reading LOTR 3-in-1 (or indeed the 1-in-1) for mistakes, instead of bickering about posting stylings?
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:54 AM   #131
Hellmark
Wizard

I just picked up the 1 in 1, it is the next on my list to read. I want to try and make my way though out all the middle earth books.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:27 AM   #132
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Please excuse the frankness, but reading the previous pages of this thread has been like watching little boys see how far they can p up the wall!!

Settle down lads. Please don't turn your bickering on the semantics of the title of the discussed work of literature.
The OP merely seeks help and support re proof-reading, and discussion as to why reader-lead proof-reading should be necessary.

Stop being children.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:32 AM   #133
John the Miner
Enthusiast
John the Miner began at the beginning.

Device: Eco e-reader
Do OCR programs proofread?
John the Miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:35 AM   #134
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by John the Miner View Post
Do OCR programs proofread?
to the limit of their inbuilt algorithms .... a human eyeball would still be needed.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:40 AM   #135
John the Miner
Enthusiast
John the Miner began at the beginning.

Device: Eco e-reader
Well, then, why complain when they don't perform as a human would/could/should? The publishers are laughing all the way to the bank. You buy the electronic books at whatever the freight will bear and whinge when the mistakes become evident ... you can't have it both ways.
John the Miner is offline   Reply With Quote