Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-24-2011, 08:55 AM   #106
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
I'm mystified. AOL style? What's that? We never caught onto AOL here so no idea..
You used to be able to tell that someone was using AOL when you got top posting instead of the correct bottom posting. This reply is bottom posted.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:26 AM   #107
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
A: It reverses the normal flow of conversation.
Quote:
Q: What's wrong with top-posting?
Quote:
A: Top-posting.
Quote:
Q: What's the biggest scourge of usenet discussions?
Of course, it's not quite so relevant in on-line forums.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2011, 12:14 PM   #108
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Most people top post on forums because the purpose of the post is to read that person's comment whereas the purpose of the quote is to remind you what the comment refers to if you have lost the thread due to the disjointed nature of forum posting...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:25 AM   #109
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Why quote at all if you're just going to bury it?
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:57 AM   #110
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As I said above... because the primary purpose of a post is the comment of the poster... the quote is simply to point to what you may be replying to because it is possible to lose the direct linkage of replies as the postings aren't linear... the quote is not the primary point of the post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Why quote at all if you're just going to bury it?
Advert
Old 04-25-2011, 10:22 AM   #111
MJK2111
FUBAR!
MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 S
Quote:
Originally Posted by John the Miner View Post
MJK2111, I'm afraid, so terribly, terribly afraid, that you're 100% wrong.
Well, I'm sure I'll have to take you at your word (snicker, snicker).

But just in case, you'll be the first on my list of ignored users. Congratulations!
MJK2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:27 AM   #112
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
A: It reverses the normal flow of conversation.

Of course, it's not quite so relevant in on-line forums.
I do think it is quite relevant as we not only loose the flow, we have to shift down to the quote and then back up to the post. It's better to start with the quote and then move to the post. Especially if we want/need to read the quote before the post.

Top posting is so AOL, it's not funny.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:34 PM   #113
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
As I said above... because the primary purpose of a post is the comment of the poster... the quote is simply to point to what you may be replying to because it is possible to lose the direct linkage of replies as the postings aren't linear... the quote is not the primary point of the post...
No, it isn't the primary point, but it does create some momentary confusion. If I don't know what you're talking about, I have to look at the bottom of your post in order to get an idea of what you're referring to. If I am not used to your way of top posting, then I may not see the quote and have to read through previous posts, thus removing the point in quoting in the first place.

Top posting on forums is not the norm, and if people aren't used to it, it just makes issues.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:18 AM   #114
John the Miner
Enthusiast
John the Miner began at the beginning.

Device: Eco e-reader
Well, gee, golly gosh willikers, MJK2111, if I'm not the top of your pops, the ones in front of me must be absolute BTs!
John the Miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:16 AM   #115
AlexSno
Connoisseur
AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
As always not all things are perfect in life .....
AlexSno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:05 AM   #116
elcreative
Wizard

So now we're reduced to talking about order of posting... well, my only comment is tough, if you don't like the way I post then don't read it... I've been posting and commenting online since long before the web even existed and this is the 1st time someone has been so anal as to complain about the way I post... if you can't figure it out then possibly the whole site may be a little too technical for you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I do think it is quite relevant as we not only loose the flow, we have to shift down to the quote and then back up to the post. It's better to start with the quote and then move to the post. Especially if we want/need to read the quote before the post.

Top posting is so AOL, it's not funny.
Quote:
No, it isn't the primary point, but it does create some momentary confusion. If I don't know what you're talking about, I have to look at the bottom of your post in order to get an idea of what you're referring to. If I am not used to your way of top posting, then I may not see the quote and have to read through previous posts, thus removing the point in quoting in the first place.

Top posting on forums is not the norm, and if people aren't used to it, it just makes issues.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:32 AM   #117
Hellmark
Wizard

Quote:
So now we're reduced to talking about order of posting... well, my only comment is tough, if you don't like the way I post then don't read it... I've been posting and commenting online since long before the web even existed and this is the 1st time someone has been so anal as to complain about the way I post... if you can't figure it out then possibly the whole site may be a little too technical for you...
That I find extremely hard to believe. I started with BBS's and moved to usenet and so on before there were browser based forums, and people generally were hypercritical when it came to post etiquette. I mean, there were HUGE flamewars about the subject after Eternal September.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:16 PM   #118
elcreative
Wizard

Now you're reduced to calling me a liar... normally I resist ignore but you have just become a viable candidate for the honour... and Dave Fischer was a L33tist jerk, late to the scene...

Quote:
That I find extremely hard to believe. I started with BBS's and moved to usenet and so on before there were browser based forums, and people generally were hypercritical when it came to post etiquette. I mean, there were HUGE flamewars about the subject after Eternal September.

Last edited by elcreative; 04-26-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:43 PM   #119
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Douse your fire, nobody likes show-offs !
I see that you like to quibble. And it is not the first time someone complains about what you post. Stop attacking people.

Quote:
I've been posting and commenting online since long before the web even existed and this is the 1st time someone has been so anal as to complain about the way I post... if you can't figure it out then possibly the whole site may be a little too technical for you...
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:35 PM   #120
elcreative
Wizard

Where's the quibble, what's the show-off (try looking at the tech savvy thread for that) and I didn't try the obscure (for most users) reference... If I am attacked then may I not reply or do you only prefer sycophantic agreements, preferably with yourself? As for quibbling... got a mirror?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Douse your fire, nobody likes show-offs !
I see that you like to quibble. And it is not the first time someone complains about what you post. Stop attacking people.

Last edited by elcreative; 04-26-2011 at 02:38 PM.