Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-22-2011, 04:59 AM   #76
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Oh yes of course. I did not think of going back to the original post. Silly me
Thanks man

Edit: Ok it's corrected
Cheers :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
I add such detail to the original post Check and see!

Last edited by Quexos; 04-22-2011 at 05:41 AM.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:13 AM   #77
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
What need is there to test the waters? I think it is widely accepted that ebooks are often littered with errors, and in this case the Tolkien books are no exception. Some of us are just bugged by errors in books. I routinely use the bookmark feature on my reader to flag issues for later fixing. Call it my OCD acting up, but I want things to be right because problems with the text pull me out of the story.
We've put up with this for long enough.
Why not use a famous ebook to highlight this growing problem?
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2011, 05:43 AM   #78
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If I may add the most important part:
A growing problem that needs not be, that can be fixed easily by the publishers. Let them just do what they do with print books: proofread, let them have feedback from us the community of readers meaning the job is even easier for them, sigh

Quote:
Old 04-22-2011, 08:14 AM   #79
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Added lots of Smeagol, the Aragorn and É romance (funny romance!) and a missing space in a sentence (pg14, pg 705, pg706, pg 795)

Last edited by AprilHare; 04-22-2011 at 08:24 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:42 AM   #80
CallOfCth'reader
Cultist
CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma, Kindle DX
There's no excuse for continuing errors in an ebook, when it's so easy to fix any errors that are highlighted.

Do I expect ebooks I buy to be perfect? Yes of course I do, when I'm paying good money for them.
CallOfCth'reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2011, 08:49 AM   #81
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
As I posted back on page 3 of this thread, Barnes and Noble's 3-in-1 version now seems to have corrected these errors. I didn't double-check all the errors pointed out in the OP, but I checked the first 7 and they are fixed. It's harder to check more, because the page numbers cited in the OP don't match my Nook's pagination exactly.

Vic
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:03 AM   #82
Quexos
Member Retired

Quote:
Added lots of Smeagol, the Aragorn and É romance (funny romance!) and a missing space in a sentence (pg14, pg 705, pg706, pg 795)
This time It's my turn to tell you to check my first post on this thread about "Smeagol" and "E" ... (*wink)

On the other hands pointing all the errors in the same post will make things more clear for the rest of us. Thank you for that
Old 04-22-2011, 09:03 AM   #83
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicLavigne View Post
As I posted back on page 3 of this thread, Barnes and Noble's 3-in-1 version now seems to have corrected these errors. I didn't double-check all the errors pointed out in the OP, but I checked the first 7 and they are fixed. It's harder to check more, because the page numbers cited in the OP don't match my Nook's pagination exactly.

Vic
Too bad for me that I cannot be a B&N customer. Maybe the rest of the world outside the United States is getting error ridden books for a reason?
Old 04-22-2011, 09:03 AM   #84
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
This time It's my turn to tell you to check my first post on this thread about "Smeagol" and "E" ... (*wink)

On the other hands pointing all the errors in the same post will make things more clear for the rest of us. Thank you for that
Of course I checked it. I searched for them and added them to my post.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:08 AM   #85
Quexos
Member Retired

Quote:
Pardon me but I don't see any missing space in sentence besides "knownin" you already mentioned before. I mean did you find a new missing space ?
Old 04-22-2011, 09:20 AM   #86
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
I see no problem with this. Gets the message out that we think it is silly that they're not putting the same effort into ebooks as they are for paper books. If nothing else, we're able to fix the problems in our own copies, so it doesn't bother us.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:23 AM   #87
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Pardon me but I don't see any missing space in sentence besides "knownin" you already mentioned before. I mean did you find a new missing space ?
Page 14: Also in The War of the Ring,Christopher Tolkien reproduces a page from the first manuscript of the chapter ‘The Taming of Smeagol’, and the printed text corresponding to this text is on the facing page (see pp. 90-91).
Old 04-22-2011, 09:34 AM   #88
Quexos
Member Retired

POTENTIALLY HUGE ERROR UNCOVERED

Ok I just stumbled by pure chance on what can be a big one. This one definitely needs to be checked with a print version. The candidate error is always the same, it's "O yes" which should normally be "Oh yes"
there are 19 instances of this error (if it is an error of course)

The first one happens on Book 4, chapter 2: The passage of the marshes

Quote:
Lots of His people will be there looking out for guests, very pleased to take them straight to Him, O yes. His Eye watches that way all the time. It caught Sméagol there, long ago.
The last one is on book 4, chapter 9: Shelob's lair

Quote:
We takes this one. She’ll get the other. O yes, Shelob will get him, not Sméagol: he promised; he won’t hurt Master at all. But he’s got you, you nassty filthy little sneak!’ He spat on Sam’s neck.
Also "nassty" is not correct but might be right as Tolkien intended it to express the hissing of Sméagol's talk.

Last edited by Quexos; 04-22-2011 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:37 AM   #89
MJK2111
FUBAR!
MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 S
Quote:
Originally Posted by John the Miner View Post
Right on, bro.
Good to see that somebody can pick up such an aphorism when it was deliberately misquoted by me to test the waters.
I guess it wouldn't be so obvious in an e-book?
That reminds me of the trolls who flame somebody online, and when they are called out, exclaim "Whoa, dude, I just forgot to put a smiley face after the flame. No offense intended!"

Obligatory Smiley ----->

Last edited by MJK2111; 04-22-2011 at 09:43 AM.
MJK2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:08 AM   #90
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
This one definitely needs to be checked with a print version. The candidate error is always the same, it's "O yes" which should normally be "Oh yes" ... Also "nassty" is not correct but might be right as Tolkien intended it to express the hissing of Sméagol's talk.
O yes is correct, as is nassty. Gollum's just a horrid little creature with horrible speech patterns.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote