Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-12-2017, 01:04 AM   #46
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
Has anyone ever filled up their 4GB Kindles with ebooks? Does it really bog down? Wouldn't 8GB or 32GB filled with books be crazy slow?
No.
And keep in mind, this is newer, faster, hardware with more resources available to its dual core cpu.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:37 AM   #47
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Now that I think about it. Oasis Never been on sale, rarely has the Voyage gone on sale.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2017, 03:07 AM   #48
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why not just take a quick shower and then go read? Reading while sitting in dirty water is no my idea of fun.
I have learned never to criticize the XYL's love of bubble baths, hot tubs, etc. Survival of the quietest.

Quote:
What are you doing with your H2O? Are you not ejecting it properly? I've had once since around Thanksgiving of the year they first came out and I've never had to factory reset.
Sadly, I've had to do quite a few factory resets on my Kobo ereaders over the years but then my use pattern is not quite standard -- between other reader software, SSH, Android, etc., I've needed that capability to recover from my own bad decisions such as FTPing a batch of books to the ereader and then triggering a USB unplug event from software. Hey, it worked until it didn't quite work as expected.

Last edited by DNSB; 11-12-2017 at 03:12 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 03:10 AM   #49
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
Maybe they bathe more often than you do, Jon.

Barry
'Nuff said.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:12 AM   #50
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
What are you doing with your H2O? Are you not ejecting it properly? I've had once since around Thanksgiving of the year they first came out and I've never had to factory reset.
I also had problems with my kobo.(I gave it away) I had to do the pinhole reset at least three times a week.(screen would freeze)I read fan fiction using the pocket feature and books from the library mostly. I tried all of the available firmware hoping for something to help.
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2017, 11:42 AM   #51
Shinytop
Connoisseur
Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle Oasis
It's really simpler than you all make it out to be. I don't know everything I may want to download in the future. I don't know what advances will be made in the type literature or illustrations that will be made. I don't know if I will start using audible. So by spending that extra $30 I have future proofed my purchase as much as I can. Better to have 32 Gig and not need it than need it and not have it.
Shinytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:31 PM   #52
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
I was just going to say basically the same thing. I have never gotten an e-reader wet. If I read outside and it starts raining I close my cover and go inside. I don't read in the tub because I take showers but if I did take a bath why would I want to read floating around in dirty water, and naked??? These are reasons why I think waterproof e-readers are not necessary for me. Cellphones would probably be the only device I use that I would like to be waterproof and rugged. They are used constantly and in all environments.
I don't read in the bath or poolside or at the beach, but I appreciate waterproofing as I have a cat that loves to hover around when I read in bed and he has this, um, drool problem.

He drips like a leaky faucet. Down the back of my neck, in my ear, on my reader, it's water torture! With purring. But with my Kobo Aura ONE, no worries. Same would be true for KOA2 if I get one.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:37 PM   #53
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
I don't read in the bath or poolside or at the beach, but I appreciate waterproofing as I have a cat that loves to hover around when I read in bed and he has this, um, drool problem.

He drips like a leaky faucet. Down the back of my neck, in my ear, on my reader, it's water torture! With purring. But with my Kobo Aura ONE, no worries. Same would be true for KOA2 if I get one.

That's the best reason for getting a waterproof reader I've ever heard!
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 04:37 PM   #54
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Elderly with all the aches & pains are Encouraged to Soak in a Hot tub. the lady I took care of for 15 years soaked morning to get the aches pain & stiffness out so she could get thru the day. At night so she could relax & get some sleep. Me I go to the local Wellness Canter Pool for the same reason... & do light exercises! At the pool I see Lots of folks using eReaders!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:13 AM   #55
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post

Awww. But he needs a baby bib. With a pocket. With a sponge in the pocket. Ask me how I know.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:47 AM   #56
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
Realistically though, all these devices are limited by their batteries which will wear out far sooner than anything else.

My ideal kindle would take rechargeable batteries, a la the old jetbook lite. If my PW1 worked on commonly available rechargeable batteries I'd probably never buy another reader.
Changing batteries on kindles is actually pretty easy. You just need a very small screwdriver and something to separate the top from the bottom. Way easier than an iPod. The battery last 3-4 years with constant use, 2 with excessive use. Hard to complain about that.

As to Black Friday sales on newly introduced stuff, sometimes yes, sometimes no. New basic models are often discounted in December. I don't recall the Voyage being dropped more than $20 the first year.

Waterproofing- if I still commuted by bus or train, I would definitely get a waterproofed ereader. Can't tell you how many books I had get wet during 15 years of bus commuting no matter how careful I was. If it didn't get rained on directly, someone would splash water on me or it would drift on from my wet raincoat.

I have a leaky faucet as well, but he will settle down on my feet while I read. Have to have blankets on the recliner though, to soak up all the drool from a 14 pound feline.

Last edited by Tarana; 11-13-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:36 PM   #57
imabuddha
Electron Choreographer
imabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, PW2, Kobo Glo, Nook SimpleTouch, iPad, iPhone…
Unfortunately changing the battery in the new Oasis won’t be as easy as earlier models. It also won’t be water proof afterwards. ��
imabuddha is offline   Reply With Quote