Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-25-2022, 09:05 AM   #2956
eriver
eriver began at the beginning.

Device: PW2 6th, 9017, FW 5.12.2.2.
Finished

I did copy the python and linkss files into the root/mrpackes folder. Screensaver works.
eriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 04:27 PM   #2957
STANirvanaIND
STANirvanaIND began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader N289
Posting this here for posterity since I had a lot of issues finding a way to successfully convert images, this is based on the posts by mergen3107 and NiLuJe (thanks both!). Using ImageMagick and the gradient file NiLuJe posted, the below powershell command will convert images with no issue for an Oasis (change resolution, etc. to match your model):

convert input.png -filter LanczosSharp -resize 1264x1680 -background black -gravity center -extent '1264x1680!' -colorspace Gray -dither Riemersma -remap eink_cmap.gif -quality 75 -define png:color-type=0 -define png:bit-depth=8 pngut.png
STANirvanaIND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 03:55 PM   #2958
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Riemersma is broken (and has been for over a year) in IM 7 (haven't actually checked IM6, though) when doing that sort of things, so I'd switch to FloydSteinberg, otherwise you don't get any dithering at all, just plain ugly quantization.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 04:45 AM   #2959
Ceroes
Ceroes began at the beginning.

Device: Oasis 2
KOA2 Showing Kid reading under a tree only.

I get stuck on that screen when I try to use the Screen Savers. Here is a picture of the kindle and the file I am attempting to use.

I noticed that if I flip my cover it will in fact load the digimon picture I have. But once my screen saver goes away it will load that image of the tree. If I connect my kindle to usb and disconnect it then the tree goes away and I can use the kindle.

Not sure if this is the same as being stuck on the last screen issue.

I edited all my images in photoshop and manually made sure they were all the correct resolution and format. They are even greyscale I don't know what to do...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20220926043107.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	875.7 KB
ID:	196783   Click image for larger version

Name:	GallantmonCM.png
Views:	118
Size:	564.0 KB
ID:	196784  

Last edited by Ceroes; 09-26-2022 at 04:48 AM. Reason: added detal.
Ceroes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 10:17 AM   #2960
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is that what's shown instead of the ScreenSaver (which wouldn't make sense), or is it actually stuck during the actual boot process (which would possibly make more sense, although I've never seen it happen).

IIRC, the Oasis 2 can run a FW w/ native screen saver support. And this has *never* been tested on such FW versions.
Old 09-29-2022, 07:24 AM   #2961
Ceroes

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Is that what's shown instead of the ScreenSaver (which wouldn't make sense), or is it actually stuck during the actual boot process (which would possibly make more sense, although I've never seen it happen).
It is not stuck during the bootup process for certain. The best way I can describe it is: Whatever was last on the screen is what the screensaver will be shown as the screensaver but on top of that the screen will NOT refresh if you unlock the device. Either it attempts to unlock and fails OR the screen does not refresh even if you touch buttons or the screen that should make it change what's on the screen. Now I found only ONE way to get around that. Which was to plug it into my computer. it would then change the screen and when disconnected would function when unlocked but either show that image again or show what was last on the screen and once locked wouldn't function properly again.

After extensive attempts at figuring out what was incorrect. I believe it is most similar to this issue:

"Q. Get the last thing shown on screen (or a blank screen on FW 2/3/4) in cycle mode, either straight-away or after a few working custom images?

A. One of the files in your screensaver pool upset the Kindle firmware . That rarely happens on FW 2/3/4 (you're much more likely to see a corrupted image, rather than breaking the whole thing, which is what happens on FW 5.x: once it fails in this way, only a reboot will make the framework try again, even if the next file in the cycle is okay, the framework just appears to give up on screensavers), but on FW 5.x, that means checking the size, format, resolution of each and every file in your pool, to see if it matches the device, and really is a PNG8 (256c) (optionally properly dithered down to 16 colors, but not indexed to 16c), without any embedded ICC profile."

While I did read the initial instructions, "One the KV/PW3/KOA: PNG files, 1072x1448. Grayscale if possible, but color works too (you can even play with an alpha channel if you like)." is what I followed. I did not know about it having to be a specific version of PNG8(256c), dithering, and index. I at least didn't embed a ICC profile.

But I think what would solve all of that, is to provide Sample files for each version that works. Specifying PNG8(256c) in the install information would be helpful as well but I am betting that most people will not know how exactly to do all of those things when making a new file. Simply providing a properly formatted color file will allow anyone to use it as a template reducing responses related to that particular issue.

I will be honest I am assuming PNG 8 means an 8bit PNG, 256 is the number of colors though I am going to need to look at how to implement the dithering and ensure it's not indexed.

Currently, I have it showing my Gallantmon file since I corrected the "256" issue. Though even though it is the correct resolution it is not being displayed full screen...

Quote:
IIRC, the Oasis 2 can run a FW w/ native screen saver support. And this has *never* been tested on such FW versions.
I am sorry for being such a noob I dont know what you mean by "FW w/ native screen" specifically "FW and w/" Full Width?
Old 09-29-2022, 09:19 AM   #2962
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
FW = firmware.
"native screen saver support" = Kindles since IIRC firmware 5.13.4? havs had "native" / built-in "book cover as screensaver" functionality.
And this hack predates that built-in feature and also was never tested on those newer firmware versions.
In any case it can't be a clever and good thing to have that built-in feature enabled AND at the same time try to use this hack.

So that would be my question to you: do you have "Display Cover" (Settings > Device Options> Display Cover) set to "on" or "off"? (and do you have that as a first option inside Device Option section at all?)

Also what exact firmware version is currently installed on your Kindle? You can check that by doing: Menu > Settings > Menu > Device info(rmation).
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 06:35 PM   #2963
Ceroes

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
FW = firmware.
So that would be my question to you: do you have "Display Cover" (Settings > Device Options> Display Cover) set to "on" or "off"? (and do you have that as a first option inside Device Option section at all?)

Also what exact firmware version is currently installed on your Kindle? You can check that by doing: Menu > Settings > Menu > Device info(rmation).
1: I do not have the option for display covers at all.

2:I am on 5.14.3.2
Old 11-15-2022, 04:15 PM   #2964
readandread
Zealot
readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen) v5.14.2
@NiLuJe I'm currently having issues with the screen saver hack. It worked before (so all images meet the requirements) with all 8 images using shuffle mode. Now it only shows the first image no matter what. If I change the numbering of another pic in the pool to 00 then only that one shows.

Any ideas what the issue could be?

I'm on version KPW (11th Gen) v5.14.2 with 0.25.N
readandread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 12:27 PM   #2965
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@readandread: That has *never* been how you're supposed to update your image pool. Read the documentation again, and do *NOT* touch the numbered files, that *will* break it.
Old 12-02-2022, 05:02 AM   #2966
Calc_
Calc_ began at the beginning.

Device: KT4
Question Script Failed

To begin with,hi everyone!I'm newly registered.I really appreciate your packages!
So here's the thing...I got my KT4 jailbroken about half year ago, then for some reason I lent it to my cousin,and I FORGOT TO BLOCK THE UPDATE.When I took it back,the FW has been upgraded to 5.15.1,the newest one.I tried to reinstall python but the script kept exiting with a message like
"ln: /usr/bin/python3: read-only file system"
I downgraded the FW(https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...46784),flashed the newest hotfix with MRPI,and the script worked again.
Could anybody possibly know what happened during the upgrade?I tried a lot of tricks before finding the correct one and I absolutely don't want to come over such incidents anymore.
(English is not my mother tongue,by the way.Sorry if there's any confusing expression.)
(Oh, and, is this the right place to ask this question? I just Clicked the link in the snapshot page.)

Last edited by Calc_; 12-02-2022 at 05:05 AM.
Calc_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 08:02 AM   #2967
NiLuJe
BLAM!

The bridge code just requires a couple of reboots to restore everything properly after a FW update.
Old 12-02-2022, 06:24 PM   #2968
Calc_
Calc_ began at the beginning.

Device: KT4
Thanks Buddy.
Calc_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 08:55 AM   #2969
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
It's been quite a while since anything relevant was updated, but there was a KFX tweak (I don't really remember any details, though) a couple months ago, so you might have been using an older version.
Bringing back an old item... Maybe I am the only one who is consistenly using SS hack and KFX but... no, SS hack keeps showing the wrong cover image 90% of the times, even if the correct one is marked in metadata. For example, see the attachment (of the epub version): only two images in the book; one of them correctly identified as the cover in metadata... ans SS hack displays the other one.

You might say the "real" cover was somehow in a bad format? But it is not. I removed the other picture (and the only html line where it was displayed, which was something like "created with Writer2Pub" and the the inline code to place the image).

I re-converted the epub to kfx, and now the correct cover image gets displayed.

Of course this is not a solution, as it is not always possible delete all other image different than the cover, but it shows the "real" cover is actually a good image... but ss hack consistently choses the wrong image to display as a cover when working with a KFX.
At least that is my experience.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Images_list.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	2.5 KB
ID:	198799   Click image for larger version

Name:	content_opf.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	198800   Click image for larger version

Name:	content_opf2.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	198801  
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 09:50 PM   #2970
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskie_it View Post
Bringing back an old item... Maybe I am the only one who is consistenly using SS hack and KFX but... no, SS hack keeps showing the wrong cover image 90% of the times, even if the correct one is marked in metadata.
While I was still using stock reading software and KFX books (last 6 months I've switched over to KOReader + epub combo) this bug / this issue with SS hack annoyed me sufficiently to go and use my limited programming knowledge to modify "ExtractCoverThumbs" Python script and re-package it as a KUAL extension which I use to "pre-process" / "pre-extract" correct cover image from KFX books and dump them into that folder used by SS hack.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=1182

Code:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/10tFdRxeDtD5QCCzNhgFIdNDi3Nflm0d8/view?usp=sharing
So, after every new batch of transfered KFX files I run that "fix KFX covers" extension and then SS hack will use the images, luckily it doesn't try to overwrite existing files inside that "cover cache" folder.

p.s. The image resolution is "hardcoded" to screen resolution of Kindle PW3 since that was the device I was using that KUAL extension

Last edited by shamanNS; 01-02-2023 at 09:55 PM.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch