Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-06-2016, 01:07 PM   #1
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis 9th Gen
Freshly Jailbroke Kindle Voyage - Covers missing?

Thanks for all the great documentation and work put into the JB. I have the screensaver hack successfully setup and working!!! That was the reason for the Jailbreak.

But now I can't get my covers to show in my library??? I have a program I downloaded a month ago which used to restore the covers to books I emailed from Calibre. But after the jailbreak it does not appear to be working...

What information can I provide that would help identify the problem?

Last edited by radamo; 12-06-2016 at 01:22 PM.
radamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 02:00 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, iPad, Nexus 7
What firmware version were you running on your Voyage prior to the jailbreak and what version are you running now?

There was a change in version 5.8.5 that affects cover thumbnails for personal documents in AZW3 format. See this thread.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2016, 02:26 PM   #3
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
What firmware version were you running on your Voyage prior to the jailbreak and what version are you running now?

There was a change in version 5.8.5 that affects cover thumbnails for personal documents in AZW3 format. See this thread.
Was running 5.8.5.0.2 and copied /documents to my desktop prior to doing the full reset during the JB. Then after the JB completed i moved back to 5.8.5.0.2 and restored my /document folder.

Then tried to restore my covers to no avail.

Now I am on 5.8.7
Old 12-06-2016, 02:51 PM   #4
radamo
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post

Just read through this a bit and it looks like you are correct. Wow, new Kindle owner and just getting comfortable and BOOM, back to square one.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:35 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by radamo View Post
Just read through this a bit and it looks like you are correct. Wow, new Kindle owner and just getting comfortable and BOOM, back to square one.
It was, and still is, YOUR decision of what Amazon firmware to run.
Run an earlier version if you have to.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2016, 08:13 PM   #6
radamo
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I was thinking that same thing. Right now I am happy to have the book cover show as my screensaver. Can't believe that is not an option for those that have paid to get rid of the ads...
Old 12-06-2016, 11:31 PM   #7
radamo
Addict

Quote:
I tried to load 5.8.2 using the standard method of putting the .bin file into the root directory of the kindle and ejecting from my pc. I keep getting a message that my file is invalid. I downloaded both from SPOILER 1 and 2 to see if it was the file. Do I have to load updates from the /mrpackages folder? I thought that was only add ins?
Thanks...
Old 12-07-2016, 08:55 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I tried to load 5.8.2 using the standard method of putting the .bin file into the root directory of the kindle and ejecting from my pc. I keep getting a message that my file is invalid. I downloaded both from SPOILER 1 and 2 to see if it was the file. Do I have to load updates from the /mrpackages folder? I thought that was only add ins?
Thanks...
What you are seeing is error code 12 -> "Downgrade Attack" (Lab126's name for it).
"Consumer Firmware" has that attack protection built-in.

You must follow the jail break instructions.
That loads a "Factory Firmware" version without "Downgrade Attack" protection (and a lot of other things different that makes the jail break possible).

When you reach Step #7, install the Consumer Firmware version of your choice, rather than the most current.
They are all on the Amazon download server, I only listed a few of them.

How to form the download URL is one of the FGA entries.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:08 AM   #9
radamo
Addict

Quote:
What you are seeing is error code 12 -> "Downgrade Attack" (Lab126's name for it).
"Consumer Firmware" has that attack protection built-in.

You must follow the jail break instructions.
That loads a "Factory Firmware" version without "Downgrade Attack" protection (and a lot of other things different that makes the jail break possible).

When you reach Step #7, install the Consumer Firmware version of your choice, rather than the most current.
They are all on the Amazon download server, I only listed a few of them.

How to form the download URL is one of the FGA entries.
The actual message is "Update Error"
An invalid update file has been loaded on your device. Please go to....

So are you saying I need to go back through the entire jailbreak? Or start from step #3? Load factory firmware?

Thanks so much for your help.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:26 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

I do not know what all has been done to / on your machine since the last jailbreak.
The steps #0 .. #2 assure there will be no problems at step #3

You could start at step #3 if you feel safe in skipping #0 .. #2.

Just review those steps, think what has been done, skip as you wish.
(If the only thing done was adding books to visible USB storage, I think you would be safe in starting at #3.)

You realize that I had to write those directions to deal with any Kindle, in any condition, in the hands of anyone that might read them.

But you are no stranger here, you have done it before (so know what to expect). That is a lot more than most people who are using the full set of steps.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:34 AM   #11
radamo
Addict

Okay... this was my first jailbreak of a kindle. I did run through all steps to the end. My device has been upgraded to the latest firmware 5.8.7 and I can still use the screensaver hack to see my book covers when the unit is off. I have KUAL loaded and working. I just get the Invalid File message when trying to downgrade to 5.8.2.1. Does that mean my jailbreak is working or not? Seems like it is.

Last edited by radamo; 12-07-2016 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:52 AM   #12
radamo
Addict

Quote:
I do not know what all has been done to / on your machine since the last jailbreak.
The steps #0 .. #2 assure there will be no problems at step #3
I just need to know... when a (kindle) device is jailbroken should I now be able to load older firmware with the normal manual load process of putting the bin file into the root folder and eject from PC then go to Update Your Kindle?

Therefore if mine is NOT allowing this (although other things requiring jailbreak work, like the screensaver hack) do I need to REDO the entire process?

Thank you...
Old 12-07-2016, 09:53 AM   #13
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Okay... this was my first jailbreak of a kindle. I did run through all steps to the end. My device has been upgraded to the latest firmware 5.8.7 and I can still use the screensaver hack to see my book covers when the unit is off. I have KUAL loaded and working. I just get the Invalid File message when trying to downgrade to 5.8.2.1. Does that mean my jailbreak is working or not? Seems like it is.
Everything is normal now, 'normal' as defined by Amazon.
There is nothing wrong with what you have done (other than you don't like Amazon's choices about cover handling).

The "Invalid File" message is the normal behavior of Customer Firmware.
Amazon/Lab126 has blocked the ability to downgrade Customer Firmware.

The Factory Firmware image used in the jail break is able to side-step the downgrade protection (which is part of the reason it is not 'model locked' - a different internal format of the package).
Old 12-07-2016, 10:00 AM   #14
radamo
Addict

Quote:
Everything is normal now, 'normal' as defined by Amazon.
There is nothing wrong with what you have done (other than you don't like Amazon's choices about cover handling).

The "Invalid File" message is the normal behavior of Customer Firmware.
Amazon/Lab126 has blocked the ability to downgrade Customer Firmware.

The Factory Firmware image used in the jail break is able to side-step the downgrade protection (which is part of the reason it is not 'model locked' - a different internal format of the package).
Ahhh.... NOW I get it.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:20 AM   #15
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Ahhh.... NOW I get it.
Yup - it is a 'naming the baby' problem with the English language.

We decided to call those files: "Factory Initial"

Meaning (in our minds): The firmware initially used for internal factory purposes. (They should never have escaped from the factory.)

Being read as: The initial firmware as provided by the factory.

I have been using the English language now for nearly 3/4 of a century - and I still can't get things right at times.