Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-16-2022, 11:43 AM   #1
losth1ghway
losth1ghway began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Turning Kindle 3 into an E-Ink notepad

Hey there,

Thanks for the great resource here. I have previously used the info here to jailbreak and set up ssh on my PW3 and it's incredibly useful.

I had the idea recently when I saw a dirt-cheap Kindle 3, that it might be a handy note-taking device. So far I've jailbroken the Kindle 3 and installed the myts terminal. That worked great except the font size was terribly small (not great for glancing at from a distance) and I didn't seem able to change it.. it was already at it's max width limit in the ini file.

Some further searching showed me there was a paid app some time ago called notepad that seemed to do as much as I needed. Notetaking with scaleable font size. However it seems like it's either not available in my region or been taken down or both.
I wonder if this is archived anywhere and I could install it myself?

Or is there a newer terminal that will enable font scaling on the Kindle 3?

I'd also like a way of fully disabling the screensaver (so the notes just stay on-screen at all times). I've installed the screen-saver hack, but as far as I can see completely disabling the screensaver doesn't seem to be an option.
losth1ghway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 12:24 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Have you tried the sleep disable KUAL extension?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=293264
I don't know whether it works on the K3, but if not it can probable be modified to work.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 04:06 PM   #3
losth1ghway
losth1ghway began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Have you tried the sleep disable KUAL extension?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=293264
I don't know whether it works on the K3, but if not it can probable be modified to work.
thanks a bunch for pointing me in that direction! it didn't work immediately on the K3 but it seems to have worked after manually creating the ds.sh script under /usr/bin.

would still love to know a terminal with scaleable fonts or a way to get that notepad app working!
losth1ghway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 01:03 AM   #4
Kusuri
Connoisseur
Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4+Fire 7", Onyx Boox Nova Air
isn't there a KUAL addon for note-taking? i have one on my PW4, and usually use it for quick notes (writing down my dreams when i wake up etc.). maybe you could give that a try. it allows you to choose the font & fontsize, to save it as a file you can also open on your kindle from your home screen etc.

it's called "Leafpad".

edit: i just hope that KUAL works on a k3.. my first kindle is a pw4 so i'm unsure about that.
Kusuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 07:28 AM   #5
aAaCHENaAa
aAaCHENaAa began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle(8th generation), Kindle(4th generation), Kindle Keyboard(Wi-Fi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusuri View Post
isn't there a KUAL addon for note-taking? i have one on my PW4, and usually use it for quick notes (writing down my dreams when i wake up etc.). maybe you could give that a try. it allows you to choose the font & fontsize, to save it as a file you can also open on your kindle from your home screen etc.

it's called "Leafpad".

edit: i just hope that KUAL works on a k3.. my first kindle is a pw4 so i'm unsure about that.
KUAL does work, but Leafpad doesn't.
I tried for many times, but Leafpad is just can't run on my Kindle 3.
aAaCHENaAa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 11:15 AM   #6
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by aAaCHENaAa View Post
KUAL does work, but Leafpad doesn't.
I tried for many times, but Leafpad is just can't run on my Kindle 3.
I just saw a reference in another thread to a text editor in KOReader. I don't use it myself, so I can't vouch for this. I am also unsure if your K3 is supported.

Dave

Last edited by dhdurgee; 12-06-2022 at 11:23 AM.
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 02:44 AM   #7
aAaCHENaAa
aAaCHENaAa began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle(8th generation), Kindle(4th generation), Kindle Keyboard(Wi-Fi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
I just saw a reference in another thread to a text editor in KOReader. I don't use it myself, so I can't vouch for this. I am also unsure if your K3 is supported.

Dave
It's there actually a text editor in KOReader? Oh I don't even know that!
Can you tell me where it is if you could please?
aAaCHENaAa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 07:42 AM   #8
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
How about this one? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=128347
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 08:22 PM   #9
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by aAaCHENaAa View Post
It's there actually a text editor in KOReader? Oh I don't even know that!
Can you tell me where it is if you could please?
It is one of the plugins, called Text Editor. See it in the top menu - Tools.
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote