Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-26-2008, 09:47 AM   #1
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Adding "Wanted" books to Calibre database?

I was wondering if there was any way to add books that I want to have but have not yet acquired to the Calibre database? In effect create the meta-data and associated cover art wtihout having the actual book stored in any format?

There does not see to be a way to do this via the GUI, but perhaps one of the command line options would do this?

If this facility does not exist perhaps it would be worth adding?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:42 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
In English, what is wanted is a wish list.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2008, 11:18 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, but I would like to see the "Wanted" books listed just like all the others with their meta-data, cover art, series details etc. I am not looking for some completely separate sub-system. I was wondering if any of command-line tools would allow you to create such an entry in the metadata database even without the book being to hand or whether they demand a book file before they will create the metadata! In other words is the capability I want already there if I just knew how to invoke it

I would not mind some visual indication that it is a "wish" rather than an actual book but I guess I could live with seeing that there is no associated format stored.

I guess related to the above, is there a way to use the Search facility in the GUI to look for the presence or absence of specific formats. If so what is the syntax?

Last edited by itimpi; 11-26-2008 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:19 PM   #4
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
You use format:"LIT" to find ones with LIT and not format:"LIT" for ones with no lit format
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:46 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Just add a dummy file and then delete the format in the edit metadata dialog. Tag the book with "wanted"
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2008, 02:18 PM   #6
itimpi
Wizard

That's easy! I had not realized one could delete all formats and keep the database entry.

It was such an obvious requirement that I felt there might be a way to achieve it. Is it worth adding this as a tip in the documentation?

Thanks
Old 11-26-2008, 03:14 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Alternately, create a file called dummy.wanted and add it to the database. Then you can search for format:wanted
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote