Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-05-2008, 12:02 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
The Weirdest and the Longest Book Title

This is actually a list of the weirdest book titles and one listing for the longest book title.

WEIRDEST BOOK TITLES:

"1978: Proceedings of the Second International Workshop on Nude Mice (University of Tokyo Press)
1979: The Madam as Entrepreneur: Career Management in House Prostitution (Transaction Press)
1980: The Joy of Chickens (Prentice Hall)
1981: Last Chance at Love: Terminal Romances
1982: Population and Other Problems (China National Publications
1983: The Theory of Lengthwise Rolling (MIR)
1984: The Book of Marmalade: Its Antecedents, Its History and Its Role in the World Today (Constable)
1985: Natural Bust Enlargement with Total Power: How to Increase the Other 90% of Your Mind to Increase the Size of Your Breasts (Westwood Publishing Co)
1986: Oral Sadism and the Vegetarian Personality (Brunner/Mazel)
1987: No Award
1988: Versailles: The View From Sweden (University of Chicago Press)
1989: How to Shit in the Woods: An Environmentally Sound Approach to a Lost Art (Ten Speed Press)
1990: Lesbian Sadomasochism Safety Manual (Lace Publications)
1991: No Award
1992: How to Avoid Huge Ships (Cornwell Maritime Press)
1993: American Bottom Archaeology (University of Illinois Press)
1994: Highlights in the History of Concrete (British Cement Association)
1995: Reusing Old Graves (Shaw & Son)
1996: Greek Rural Postmen and Their Cancellation Numbers (Hellenic Philatelic Society)
1997: The Joy of Sex: Pocket Edition (Mitchell Beazley)
1998: Development in Dairy Cow Breeding and Management: and New Opportunities to Widen the Uses of Straw (Nuffield Farming Scholarship Trust)
1999: Weeds in a Changing World (British Crop Protection Council)
2000: High Performance Stiffened Structures (Professional Engineering Publishing)
2001: Butterworths Corporate Manslaughter Service (Butterworths)
2002: Living With Crazy Buttocks (Kaz Cooke – Penguin US/Australia)
2003: The Big Book of Lesbian Horse Stories (Kensington Publishing)
2004: Bombproof Your Horse (J A Allen)
2005: People Who Don't Know They're Dead: How They Attach Themselves to Unsuspecting Bystanders and What to Do About It (Gary Leon Hill – Red Wheel/Weiser Books)
2006: The Stray Shopping Carts of Eastern North America: A Guide to Field Identification (Harry N Abrams)
2007: If You Want Closure In Your Relationship, Start With Your Legs (Simon & Schuster US)"

AND MORE WEIRD BOOK TITLES:

"Scouts in Bondage by Michael Bell
Be Bold with Bananas by Crescent Books
Fancy Coffins to Make Yourself by Dale L. Power
The Flat-Footed Flies of Europe by Peter J. Chandler
101 Uses for an Old Farm Tractor by Michael Dregni
Across Europe by Kangaroo by Joseph R. Barry
101 Super Uses for Tampon Applicators by Lori Katz and
Barbara Meyer
Suture Self by Mary Daheim
The Making of a Moron by Niall Brennan
How to Make Love While Conscious by Guy Kettelhack
Underwater Acoustics Handbook by Vernon Martin Albers
Superfluous Hair and Its Removal by A. F. Niemoeller
Lightweight Sandwich Construction by J. M. Davies
The Devil's Cloth: A History of Stripes by Michel Pastoureaut
How to Be a Pope: What to Do and Where to Go Once You're in the Vatican by Piers Marchant
How to Read a Book by Mortimer J. Adler and Charles Van Doren"

THE LONGEST BOOK TITLE:

"A Handbook on Hanging, Being a short introduction to the fine art of Execution, and containing much useful information on Neck-breaking, Throttling, Strangling, Asphyxiation, Dcapitation and lectrocution; as well as Data and Wrinkles for Hangmen, an account of the late Mr. Berry's method of Killing and his working list of Drops; to which is added a Hangman's Ready Reckoner and certain other items of interest, by Charles Duff, New edition enlarged diligently compared and revised in accordance with the most recent Developments. All Very Proper to be read and Kept in Every Family."

WHAT IF THEY MADE THIS BOOK INTO A MOVIE:

Remember a few years back when films included the word “The Movie” in the title? When James Michener wrote “The Novel,” it was my hope that it would be made into a movie. This was my title for the film: “The Novel, The Movie.” Would that have been successful or just confusing? I always had the hope that he would write another novel entitled “The Movie" so that we could have this title: "The Movie, The Movie," but that never came to pass. What if the movie of “The Novel The Movie” had then been re-adapted into a series of books. Would it then be “The Novel, The Movie, The Book: Volume 1”? I admit this is only idle speculation.

What's the Weirdest book title and the longest book title you've seen?

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	farting.jpg.w180h258.jpg
Views:	1101
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	16039   Click image for larger version

Name:	livingdead.jpg.w180h270.jpg
Views:	819
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	16040   Click image for larger version

Name:	moviebath.jpg.w180h228.jpg
Views:	749
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	16041   Click image for larger version

Name:	radiation.jpg.w180h261.jpg
Views:	793
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	16042   Click image for larger version

Name:	snake.jpg.w180h274.jpg
Views:	846
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	16043  

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-06-2008 at 02:27 PM. Reason: For brevity
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:13 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Dr. Drib ftw !!!! “The Novel, The Movie, The Book: Volume 1” is now on my wish-list of books that haven't been written yet but that i'm dreaming of. thanks for this.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2008, 08:43 PM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I uploaded this oddity a while ago:

William Tebb and Edward Perry
Premature Burial, And How It May Be Prevented
With Special Reference To Trance, Catalepsy And Other Forms Of Suspended Animation
(1905)
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:19 AM   #4
Londoner
Londoner began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Here's a couple of beauties;

"This is the Miniature Schnauzer and Super Potency at Any Age" by Spirer, Louise Ziegler and Edwin Flatto, M.D. (respectively)
T.F.H. Publications, 1963 and Instant Improvement Inc. 1991

Looking Forward to Being Attacked by Lt. Jim Bullard
(Memphis Police Department, published 1977)

The Pantyhose Craft Book by Jean Ray Laury and Joyce Aiken
(Taplinger Publishing Company, 1978)

Taken from the thoroughly amusing http://www.pistilbooks.com/index.html
Londoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:17 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

All these additions are wonderful and very funny!

Don
Advert
Old 09-16-2008, 11:32 AM   #6
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
:tangent: Someone should start a company named "Thank You For Calling How May I Help You". Receptionists at the company would answer the phone," Thank you for calling Thank You For Calling How May I Help You, how may I help you?"
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:12 PM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
:tangent: Someone should start a company named "Thank You For Calling How May I Help You". Receptionists at the company would answer the phone," Thank you for calling Thank You For Calling How May I Help You, how may I help you?"
I like that!!

Let's hope, if that company comes into existence, they don't also try to add The Beatles' song, "Hello, Goodbye" to the title you suggested!!

"Thank You For Calling How May I Help You Hello Goodbye"

Don
Old 09-16-2008, 01:28 PM   #8
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
My favorite never makes these lists for some reason:

The Holy Spirit of My Uncle's Cojones by Marcos McPeek Villatoro.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:45 AM   #9
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I like that!!

Let's hope, if that company comes into existence, they don't also try to add The Beatles' song, "Hello, Goodbye" to the title you suggested!!
They could use that song on their hold music.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:56 AM   #10
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
My opening paragraph for "How to Avoid Huge Ships":

We truly live on "The Blue Planet". Estimates vary, but from 70% to 75% of the Earth's surface is covered in water. We are surrounded by water. In fact, we ARE water: at birth, 78% of the human body is composed of water. An increasing amount of this water contains ships, and the ships are increasing in size. The largest practical limit on vessel size used to be, "can it fit through the Panama Canal"? These so-called "Panamax" ships are being surpassed by truly huge ships, such as the "Capesize" vessels, which are typically above 150,000 long tons of deadweight. With such monsters prowling the water in which we are surrounded and composed, it is becoming more and more important to learn how to avoid huge ships.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 02:03 PM   #11
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
We truly live on "The Blue Planet".
Next to the Fish?

nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:23 AM   #12
prettybooks
prettybooks began at the beginning.

Device: iPod
So You Want To Be A Ham
http://www.amazon.com/So-You-Want-be-Ham/dp/0672216000
Anna Maria Falamagetti Presents The Cat Lover's Cookbook: (and tips for Better Living from the Land of Tuscany)
http://www.amazon.com/Maria-Falamage...1520713&sr=1-2
prettybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:37 AM   #13
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I've actually read Suture Self! That mystery series takes place in my neighborhood.

My contribution to this theme (a book I've read):

I Been in Sorrow's Kitchen and Licked Out All the Pots
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:58 AM   #14
Mortis
Canucklehead in Malaysia
Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
1989: How to Shit in the Woods: An Environmentally Sound Approach to a Lost Art (Ten Speed Press)
I actually own this book and its as informative as it is humorous.
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:10 PM   #15
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
The Sex Lives of Cannibals is actually a pretty good book.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
unutterable silliness