Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-27-2015, 03:32 PM   #61
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
it's actually Daylight Saving Time. no "s" after "Saving".
...oops - kinda like saying ATM machine - I go hide now
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:36 PM   #62
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Since it is 5 o'clock somewhere, passing out the drinks.
Advert
Old 10-27-2015, 03:36 PM   #63
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
...oops - kinda like saying ATM machine - I go hide now
Actually, saying ATM machine is fine. You are allowed to use the last word of an acronym after the acronym itself, but not a synonym. For example, you can say OPEC countries, but OPEC nations is incorrect. I think you're old enough to remember the SALT talks?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:45 PM   #64
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Actually, saying ATM machine is fine. You are allowed to use the last word of an acronym after the acronym itself, but not a synonym. For example, you can say OPEC countries, but OPEC nations is incorrect. I think you're old enough to remember the SALT talks?
Well I'll be! I didn't know it was correct form. I always thought it was wrong to do that, including your examples. Learn something new.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:58 PM   #65
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Would it then logically follow that military time should be calculated from 0100 to 2459?

They had a reason, you know.
Where would we be if the first hour of the day was the last hour of the PMs?

Also it's the same 12 hour clock the whole world uses.
So what time is 2459 and where would it be used?
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2015, 04:00 PM   #66
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
There is no 2459. It is 2359.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 04:13 PM   #67
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
In most of the world 9/11/15 would be November 9, 2015
In the US, it means September 11, 2015.
Quote:
In the context of this discussion, "we USA people" use 11/09/15 for Nov. 9 and other locations (in the world) use 09/11/15.
Ah ok, I thought eschwartz meant other locations in the US. The YMD format obviously works great for date sorting of files on a computer and the DMY is just the reverse of that, but the US format is just confusing, and coincidentally enough, not used anywhere else in the world ....

I thought the 24HR clock and 12HR clock were pretty much interchangeable. They are both commonly used in the UK, but timetables etc stick to 24HR to avoid any confusion.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 04:26 PM   #68
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
Quote:
There is no 2459. It is 2359.
If you started at 0100, as eschwartz posited, then 2459 would be 11:59 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:12 PM   #69
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
If you started at 0100, as eschwartz posited, then 2459 would be 11:59 PM.
I was thinking it started at 0000.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:16 PM   #70
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
It does. eschwartz posited changing that to 0100.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:16 PM   #71
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
It does.

Now go back and (re)read my full post, and the context it occurred in, and it might suddenly begin to make sense.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 05:28 PM   #72
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
It does.

Now go back and (re)read my full post, and the context it occurred in, and it might suddenly begin to make sense.
Re read your post. It makes perfect cents.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:54 PM   #73
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Re read your post. It makes perfect cents.
Are you making fun of my typoo in the other thread?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:44 PM   #74
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Pretty much irrelevant when you're as far north as we are in the UK; it gets dark early no matter what. It's dark by about 3:30pm here in mid winter, so the hour's difference is really neither here nor there. There have been suggestions that we should stick to "summer time" all year round, but the objection is that children would then be going to school in the morning in the dark, especially in Scotland, and there are road-safety concerns about that.
During the 1970's energy crisis in the US we did have daylight savings time in the winter for a while. We had brightly colored armbands (I think we got them through the school?) that were supposed to help drivers see kids walking or waiting at school bus stops. I was pretty young so I don't remember it very well.

As an adult, I would prefer having daylight after work. I hate feeling like the day has been entirely used up while I was stuck in the office. I'm not a morning person so I don't care if it's dark then.

I would really hate to have it dark at 3:30 in the afternoon! I'm glad I'm in the south.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 07:14 PM   #75
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I would really hate to have it dark at 3:30 in the afternoon! I'm glad I'm in the south.
It's made up for by the nice long days in the summer. Still daylight at 10pm in the summer .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dst, kindle, wifi