Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-27-2011, 10:15 PM   #1
Catew
Catew began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Moving archive to new Kindle

I've got a brand new Kindle 3 sitting here, with nothing on it. (My old one died. This is Kindle number 5 for me; I've been using one since they came out).

Since I've had a fair amount of experience moving into a "new" Kindle, I know that the way I do it is a huge pain. I end up sending things by ones and twos from the "manage your Kindle" page on the Amazon site, and then I manually place them into collections on the Kindle. This takes forever, and it seems so inefficient. I always end up not transferring books I wanted.

Also, I'm not very good at keeping things organized on the Kindle, especially with the free books I collect. When this Kindle died, I had, literally, 35 (strike that - it's 80) pages of uncategorized books.

Can anyone give me advice about the best/fastest/most organized way to move into this new kindle? And also, what do people like to help them keep their kindle organized once they're well into using it? I have a windows PC, and I'm not adverse to jailbreaking if it gets me to the result I want.

I've "had" to use an ipad the past week to get to my books, and I really like the ipad interface. It's so nice to see the book covers, for one thing.

Anyway, I would love any advice and opinions folks have to offer. I'm going to wait to get things set up until this weekend, because I really want to do it thoughtfully this time!

Thank you...

Last edited by Catew; 07-27-2011 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Quantification error
Catew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:50 PM   #2
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool

sorry

Last edited by alansplace; 07-28-2011 at 02:10 AM.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2011, 01:08 AM   #3
Deja Moo
Enthusiast
Deja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipse

Device: PaperWhite
Umm. . . If he has to download from the "Manage Your Kindle" page, he got them from Amazon, so many of them will have DRM: so copying from one Kindle to the other won't work. Unless he's already stripped the DRM (shhh, keep it quiet)
Deja Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:57 AM   #4
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
If all your books are managed in Calibre, the process of moving to a new Kindle is trivial. But since you haven't done that before now, you're going to have to send them from Amazon the hard way.

I would strongly recommend using Calibre to manage your books. While it is technically possible to use Calibre without removing DRM from the books, there are obvious benefits to having the DRM off, especially if the need is to move the books to a new device when the old one dies. Calibre can make the process of removing that DRM easier (google Apprentice Alf), but doesn't in and of itself have anything to do with DRM.

Another plus of Calibre is the ability (with Plug-ins) to manage your collections on your PC instead of having to do it on your Kindle.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:19 AM   #5
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I thought that if you pulled the collections from the old Kindle onto the new Kindle you didn't have to then add the books to the Collections - you just have to download the books to the new Kindle.

But in any case, setting up a new Kindle without liberated books sitting in a Calibre database is not a task I'd enjoy.

My process is multi-select and then click "Send to Device."
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2011, 11:22 AM   #6
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool gives a wrong impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
....it is technically possible to use Calibre without removing DRM from the books....
i think that the way you've worded that implies that calibre comes out-of-the-box as a drm stripper, which it doesn't. i think it might be better to say 'it is technically possible to use calibre to remove DRM from the books', but certainly not necessary.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:23 PM   #7
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I have absolutely no organization on my Kindle. When I buy a new book from Amazon, it gets sent to my K3, and that's it. They just pile up.

I keep all of my ebooks (Amazon and others) in Calibre and a list in Delicious Library (for Mac). When I need a new book to read, I look at those lists and choose my next book.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:53 PM   #8
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I thought the process would be:

1) Regsiter the new Kindle
2) De-register the older one
3) Pick the books you want sent to the Kindle and click send to kindle - unfortuantely this needs to be done one-by-one

In my case I keep two books on the reader, at most, at all times therefore the process is not that bad.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:46 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Why do you need to instantly turn your new Kindle into a clone of the original? I would simply wait until I actually needed one of my previous purchases. Then either download it from my archive, or sideload it from a calibre repository.

The "As Needed" technique will eliminate all headaches.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:50 PM   #10
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
i think that the way you've worded that implies that calibre comes out-of-the-box as a drm stripper, which it doesn't. i think it might be better to say 'it is technically possible to use calibre to remove DRM from the books', but certainly not necessary.
My intent was to be clear that Calibre isn't involved directly in DRM removal, so clearly I failed in that. It can, however, be configured to do so, with the addition of Tools. But with or without DRM removal, it's still a great way to
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:23 PM   #11
Catew
Catew began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks -- it looks like Calibre is the thing I need to look into. It helps to know where to start.

I don't really need to organize the books, true, BUT...I have two kids and a husband, all with Kindles on my account. I get interrupted a lot, which means I start books and have to pick them back up all the time. I have always had stacks of "dead tree" books around to choose from, and went kindle to avoid the storage issues, but now I find that I'm drowning in potential reads, some of which I've started and some I got free for some "desperate" day, and there are some that I bought that I really wanted to read 4 months ago and was really busy then and so they are now subsumed under others...I hope this sounds familiar to someone.

I guess there's no way to avoid getting the house in order, so to speak, and I guess I'd better start sooner rather than later. Losing the DRM is a nice side benefit. I'll look into that while I'm at it. Thanks -- any additional input more than welcome and appreciated!

(Forgot to add: thanks for suggesting that I hook the old kindle up and back it up to the PC. All the keys are dead and I can't even turn it off, but it still had charge enough that I was able to back up the /documents subdirectory.)

Last edited by Catew; 07-28-2011 at 10:26 PM. Reason: typos
Catew is offline   Reply With Quote