Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-30-2010, 11:49 AM   #121
Balerion
Connoisseur
Balerion began at the beginning.

Device: K2i K3w
Hey NiLuJe... what I meant by "file system fonts"... I meant all the other fonts that the Kindle uses (in the menus, titlebars etc)... the uninstall changed the Serif_Regular.ttf back to normal, but all the other fonts stayed hacked... don't know if it was just a glitch or what... I've since reinstalled the hack now that you been a legend in supplying a list of what each font is resonsible for so that I can mix 'em up a bit.
Balerion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:32 PM   #122
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by al3bsi View Post
can yo help me please

i want arabic font to read list books correct
You're welcome to try a font containing arabic unicode glyphs, but I'm not sure the result will be great. From what I understand, arabic uses a lot of ligatures and other stuff that's really supported only with Opentype fonts and Opentype-aware software in order to look correct. So, not sure how it would come out with a classic TrueType font on the Kindle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
I am loving the fontin2 font! I have found that if you use Calibre to eject your kindle, the kindle doesnt freeze and the restart is very simple to do.

I have ordered another kindle for my partner - I have to remember how to do all the hack setup from the beginning, once I have upgraded it to 2.5.3!
Err, it's been a while since I tried, but I don't ever remember the Windows 'safe unplug' USB device thingy to ever correctly 'eject' the Kindle (or any other usb device...) (ie. make it usable with the USB cord still plugged in, and not on the 'USB plug' screen)... But then, I did encounter this issue with a proper 'eject' on Linux. Anyway, that shouldn't be such an issue anymore in the next version .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-30-2010 at 08:16 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2010, 07:35 PM   #123
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balerion View Post
Hey NiLuJe... what I meant by "file system fonts"... I meant all the other fonts that the Kindle uses (in the menus, titlebars etc)... the uninstall changed the Serif_Regular.ttf back to normal, but all the other fonts stayed hacked... don't know if it was just a glitch or what... I've since reinstalled the hack now that you been a legend in supplying a list of what each font is resonsible for so that I can mix 'em up a bit.
That's... weird. And it shouldn't happen, at least not after a full restart after the uninstall. if you didn't do a full restart after the uninstall, then I may have an idea why it happened. And, hopefully, that'll be fixed in the next version .
Old 06-30-2010, 10:22 PM   #124
al3bsi
al3bsi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
i want arabic font to support book list

my kindle dx 2.5.2 ver”

how i can put it ???
al3bsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:47 PM   #125
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post

Err, it's been a while since I tried, but I don't ever remember the Windows 'safe unplug' USB device thingy to ever correctly 'eject' the Kindle (or any other usb device...) (ie. make it usable with the USB cord still plugged in, and not on the 'USB plug' screen)... .
Yes, USB eject works properly for me, usually, but not after doing the font hack!
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2010, 05:34 PM   #126
wilbur9
wilbur9 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi, all...
I must be doing something wrong!!
I applied Jailbreak.
I applied the screensaver hack and it works fine. (I love it!!)
Then I applied the Font update on my K2 US and updated.
Then I copied the georgia2 fonts (over writing the old ones in the Linkfonts\fonts directory).
Then I restarted

When I compared the same book on my kindle with the wife's, the fonts looked the same!
Can someone tell me what I have done wrong or maybe it doesn't work on the K2 US...
Help,
I have the K2 US and updated to 2.52...
Thanks,
Will...
wilbur9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:03 PM   #127
chalito
chalito began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Hi, I updated my Kindle DX to the 2.5.2 firmware. Here is the question, I install the jailbreak and fonts, where in the linkfonts folder has a lot of files regarding fonts. But the book I am reading is with serif fonts, how I change to a sans serif font an bolder one? Also most of the additional fonts that are out there they have the same name in the outside, but if you scanned the file it said another name.

Best Regards

Last edited by chalito; 07-02-2010 at 12:55 AM.
chalito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:32 PM   #128
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
I am on 2.5.2 (International) and installed the Jailbreak, then the Screensaver Hack. But I still have dead folks not my own pictures.

The Jailbreak said the update was successful, it didn't give any fail message - is it supposed to? The firmware version doesn't change - on previous ones it changed to +SSi etc when a hack was installed.

Any ideas?

I had the screensaver hack working great with 2.3.3 but can't get it to work now.
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:42 PM   #129
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
OK - figured it out - the jailbreak file in the top posting here DOES NOT FAIL. The jailbreak file from the Clarknova post linked to in the first post does work (by failing), and gives the 'Update Failed' message.

Now the personal screensavers work. The firmware shows the SS version as expected.

It is late here now but now I know the certificate sign is working I'll try font hack tomorrow.
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:53 PM   #130
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Err, no, it _does_ fail. Unless your Kindle already was jailbroken.

And, no, neither of the hacks posted here add anything to the version tag in the Settings. Unless you already had another SS hack installed/badly uninstalled (clarknova's SS v0.3 didn't correctly remove the version tag, if I remember correctly. If that's the version tag you're seeing, you'd better use clarknova's uninstaller to reset your version tag, or you won't be able to install official updates).

Anyway, you seem to have been mixing up hacks from all around the place, and if the initial jailbreak you had wasn't clarknova's, you'll also probably have to uninstall it with the author's uninstaller in order to be able to install official updates, because AFAIK, most of the others K 2.5 jailbreak hacks _overwrote_ Amazon's cert. clarknova's and mine leave it alone and just _add_ another cert, which is a bit safer, especially if you forgot you had it installed, since if you forgot what hacks you have installed, you pretty much have no visible way to know if a jailbreak has been installed other than trying to install a hack. With a font or ss hack, you obviously have different fonts & ss ^^.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-02-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:24 AM   #131
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am about to receive hubby's new kindle on Monday. I will update to 2.5.2 then leave the whispernet on to see if it updates to 2.5.3 overnight. Now, I have done the hacks before and have successfully hacked with the 2.5.3 for both font and screensaver. This was the process to get the screensaver folder into the kindle etc etc.

For a brand new kindle, could you confirm exactly the process I now need to do. Do I still need to set up the screensaver folder etc that we had to for earlier firmware, or does the hack for the 2.5 update (clarknova) mean that I dont have to go through this process with a new one?

Thankyou!
Old 07-03-2010, 01:17 PM   #132
NiLuJe
BLAM!

The process described on my first post is for a vanilla Kindle, so, there, that's a good start ^^.

I'm not sure what you mean with the whole 'screensaver' folder though...

And on a sidenote, the next version of the hacks (at least the fonts) should be out in a few days, hopefully today or tomorrow! .
Old 07-03-2010, 05:05 PM   #133
al3bsi
al3bsi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
[QUOTE=NiLuJe;986857]You're welcome to try a font containing arabic unicode glyphs, but I'm not sure the result will be great. From what I understand, arabic uses a lot of ligatures and other stuff that's really supported only with Opentype fonts and Opentype-aware software in order to look correct. So, not sure how it would come out with a classic TrueType font on the Kindle.

QUOTE]

thank you Mr.NiLuJe to answer me

just try please

It's a big problem as it is difficult to know the lists of books, but the device supports the Arabic nicely and I can read

Only the LIST BOOKS , it does not show the letters Arabic

can help me please!!!!!!!!!!!!
al3bsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 05:29 PM   #134
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@al3bsi: I can't really test that, since I have no idea how arabic is supposed to look like . But if you say that the font used by the reader supports Arabic and it works, then a crude workaround would be to *copy* the four Serif_*.ttf fonts over the four Sans_*.ttf fonts, in order to use the Serif fonts nearly everywhere (and especially in the book list ^^). AFAIK, Arabic doesn't really have the same notion of Sans/Serif as latin languages anyway...
Old 07-03-2010, 06:46 PM   #135
Pushka
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
The process described on my first post is for a vanilla Kindle, so, there, that's a good start ^^.

I'm not sure what you mean with the whole 'screensaver' folder though...

And on a sidenote, the next version of the hacks (at least the fonts) should be out in a few days, hopefully today or tomorrow! .
Wonderful NiLuJe. My kindle has been flavored for so long I no longer knew what each hack created in it's own right.

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet