Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 03-18-2011, 05:51 PM   #1
guyjack
Edge User

a new UI for a new eDGe!

What I really think a future EE or PE with new and faster hardware needs is a new UI that is somewhat like the WebOS in that you can have multiple applications open and viewed as "cards" arranged around your desktop. You can move them around in a certain order or "toss" one to the trash if you wish to delete it. This way we could have multiple applications running in the background or in standby mode so that when you pick a card, it instantly becomes useful. To close a certain app, just slide it off the screen. If we want to open a certain file in the ereader screen, just slide it or toss it at the screen and it will automatically come up there.

What do you guys think?

Old 03-18-2011, 06:46 PM   #2
alefor
Edge User

I think the cards ideas is great, and I believe something like that is how they designed the upcoming RIM "Playbook".....but I could be wrong.

Advert
Old 03-18-2011, 06:48 PM   #3
Filark
Edge User

Sounds awesome! Much like the preview videos of Notion Ink Adam, but even better. Can it be done??

Old 03-18-2011, 06:56 PM   #4
guyjack
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
Sounds awesome! Much like the preview videos of Notion Ink Adam, but even better. Can it be done??
Yeah! It has already been done with WebOS and the new Blackberry Playbook...but just think how great it would be on a dual-book like the eDGe, you could sooo take better advantage of the multi-tasking abilities on such a device!!

Old 03-18-2011, 07:06 PM   #5
Filark
Edge User

Agreed.

EnTourage? Are you listening??

I so hope they are working on making a great device even greater . . . .

Advert
Old 03-21-2011, 11:46 AM   #6
onebrokenneck
Edge User

Android 1.6 already supports multitasking. Just hit the home button with any app open, open your next app and keep working. When you want to return to a previous already open app, hold the home button for 3-4 seconds and a list of recent apps will appear. Touch the one you want and you will return to the app that was running in the background. Clicking the back arrow button will usually exit apps.

Entourage may develop some kind of custom app but there are existing apps out there that do what you want as far as visual task managing goes, see link below. I haven't tried installing on the edge but I also don't have a problem with the current setup. FWIW, the requested functionality is built into Android 3.0 (see link below) which according to the google will have absolutely no hardware minimums and should work on all existing Android devices.

As far as a faster device goes, searching this forum and the interwebs would reveal that the EE has a 1.2GHz processor that is throttled down to 800MHz to achieve better battery life. In other words, there is more speed to be had but possibly at the cost of loosing precious battery time. I would take battery time over a faster processor clock speed since I use mine for college and need to get through a whole day without consistent access to outlets. Plus I don't want to carry around a power brick if I don't have to.

http://www.androidpit.com/en/android...b-Task-Manager

http://developer.android.com/sdk/and...ighlights.html

Old 03-21-2011, 12:24 PM   #7
thenzero
Edge User

I couldn't find a reference to there being "absolutely no hardware minimums" on that page you linked, although I found several google results that claim otherwise.

Could you point me to a source for that info?

I also wanted to mention to you this thread. The power device from Powerline mentioned there is much slimmer and easier to tote around than the power brick that comes with the eDGe.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:53 AM   #8
onebrokenneck
Edge User

For starters, the link I posted for Android 3.0 was in reference to his request for a visual UI for navigating open apps which that link shows clearly being integrated into 3.0.

Secondly, the 3rd party app I listed while it looks on the surface to be what he wants, it ran like crap on my G1 running CM6.1. I won't bother trying to install on my edge as I'm happy with the current UI. It did offer the full image view of the running apps which was nice but even after setting it as default launcher, ADW kept taking back over and opening instead. The Itching Thumb app also did not have an intuitive way to open the app tray to access stuff that wasn't running. Maybe it will get better but I just needed to do my due diligence on testing stuff I post or recommend. After fussing with it for most of the day, it has since been deleted since as previously stated, I wasn't longing for that functionality. I have tried five or six different launcher apps and most all of them have flashy UI tweaks but don't offer enough compelling reasons to switch. The stock 1.6 launcher works fine for me on the EE.

Finally, maybe you should start by fact checking your own links. Android 3.0 is Honeycomb, not Gingerbread. Gingerbread is 2.3 and designed for smart phones while 3.0 Honeycomb is designed for tablets. All of the links you posted are WAYYYY out of date and are referencing 3.0 as Gingerbread. There is talk of Honeycomb making its way onto smart phones as well but the primary purpose of the new OS is for Android platform that was built specifically for tablets.

Here are a couple links with quotes from Dan Morrill @ google stating no processor minimums:

http://androidandme.com/2011/01/news...gets-debunked/

http://androinica.com/2011/01/rumor-...-requirements/

And since you obviously aren't familiar with the new version, here is a nice video that shows several of the new features and UI stuff in Honeycomb (including the one that this thread was started for):

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-m...deo-yet-2011-1

It kind of falls flat at the end when he is trying to initiate a video chat but who really wants to do that anyway?

Old 03-22-2011, 04:33 AM   #9
onebrokenneck
Edge User

For starters, the link I posted for Android 3.0 was in reference to his request for a visual UI for navigating open apps which that link shows clearly being integrated into 3.0.

Secondly, the 3rd party app I listed while it looks on the surface to be what he wants, it ran like crap on my G1 running CM6.1. I won't bother trying to install on my edge as I'm happy with the current UI. It did offer the full image view of the running apps which was nice but even after setting it as default launcher, ADW kept taking back over and opening instead. The Itching Thumb app also did not have an intuitive way to open the app tray to access stuff that wasn't running. Maybe it will get better but I just needed to do my due diligence on testing stuff I post or recommend. After fussing with it for most of the day, it has since been deleted since as previously stated, I wasn't longing for that functionality. I have tried five or six different launcher apps and most all of them have flashy UI tweaks but don't offer enough compelling reasons to switch. The stock 1.6 launcher works fine for me on the EE.

Finally, maybe you should start by fact checking your own links. Android 3.0 is Honeycomb, not Gingerbread. Gingerbread is 2.3 and designed for smart phones while 3.0 Honeycomb is designed for tablets. All of the links you posted are WAYYYY out of date and are referencing 3.0 as Gingerbread. There is talk of Honeycomb making its way onto smart phones as well but the primary purpose of the new OS is for Android platform that was built specifically for tablets.

Here are a couple links with quotes from Dan Morrill @ google stating no processor minimums:

http://androidandme.com/2011/01/news...gets-debunked/

http://androinica.com/2011/01/rumor-...-requirements/

And since you obviously aren't familiar with the new version, here is a nice video that shows several of the new features and UI stuff in Honeycomb (including the one that this thread was started for):

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-m...deo-yet-2011-1

It kind of falls flat at the end when he is trying to initiate a video chat but who really wants to do that anyway?