Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 06-08-2019, 11:44 PM   #16
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Here are my votes.

-2 to Blood Meridian
-1 to To the Lighthouse
-1 to The Bride of Lammermoor
-2 to Italian Hours
-1 to The Early Stories of Truman Capote
-1 to Celestial Bodies
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:43 AM   #17
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
About six hours left for voting!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2019, 07:03 AM   #18
Spinnenmonat
Guru
Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 Kindle Voyage 3G
2 to Huxley
2 to Woolf
2 to Brontë
2 to Walter Scott
2 to Henry James
Spinnenmonat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 02:47 PM   #19
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Initial voting is complete and we have a tie! Bookworm_Girl was correct .
The tie is between:

-Blood Meridian
-The Bride of Lammermoor

Run-off voting is now open!

Voting will close exactly TWO DAYS from this post.

Each person has ONE vote to use.

If the run-off also happens to end in a tie, the selection that received all its votes first will win.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:06 PM   #20
Spinnenmonat
Guru
Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My vote to Walter Scott
Advert
Old 06-10-2019, 12:38 AM   #21
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Blood Meridian
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:23 AM   #22
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I’m totally fine with either of these books. I’m going to go with Blood Meridian.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:54 AM   #23
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I’m totally fine with either of these books...
Actually, I am too - both were already on my reading list.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:25 AM   #24
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I have wanted to read Cormac McCarthy for ages! And, since I live in the Wild West near the Mexican borderlands, Blood Meridian is of particular interest to me. On the other hand, I was watching a Canadian TV show last night set in the early 1900s, and The Bride of Lammermoor was mentioned. How odd is that! I was delaying voting hoping that someone else wanted to make a definitive decision. So, I ultimately picked the more contemporary book just because we’ve read a few classics lately.
Old 06-11-2019, 04:24 AM   #25
Spinnenmonat
Guru

Walter Scott was a very successful writer in his lifetime, but nowadays, I guess, he is quite neglected, maybe because of his archaic writing style. I am not sure whether The Bride of Lammermoor is among his most well-known works, but it's definitely remembered by the opera lovers thanks to Donizetti's world-famous opera Lucia di Lammermoor.
Old 06-11-2019, 04:48 AM   #26
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

I’d be happy with either but I’ll go with Blood Meridian. That’s an intriguing note about the Lammermoor opera, Spinnenmonat. I’ve never read an entire Scott novel though I would like to.
Old 06-11-2019, 04:58 PM   #27
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

And we have a winner! Our something new is Blood Meridian. I'll have the discussion thread up soon.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:38 PM   #28
AnotherCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnenmonat View Post
Walter Scott was a very successful writer in his lifetime, but nowadays, I guess, he is quite neglected, maybe because of his archaic writing style...
Your nomination reminded me of an event which got me reading some of Walter Scott's novels.

In the early 2000s I was doing a long assignment for a company which one of its senior managers was a Scotsman who, it turned out, was a keen reader. We got talking about books which had him quizzing me about what Robert Louis Stevenson books I had read. The next day he turned up with one of the ones I had not read, and when I returned that to him he produced another until I'd read the lot.

Then, of course, he had Walter Scott in mind for the betterment of my education in Scottish literature and was disgusted when I confessed that the closest I had come to any of them was as Classic Comics when I was a kid. So I had to start on Walter Scott's novels and got through around four or five of the better known ones before the assignment ended and the supply dried up.

I have to say I found some parts of them hard going but did enjoy them even so and have since built up a complete ebook collection and put them on my "to read" list. However, I have only ever got to the "list" bit and not to the "read" bit. It is so long since I read the ones that I did that I have forgotten the stories - your nomination of The Bride of Lammermoor may just have prompted me to get started on them all again .