Old 05-05-2019, 08:26 PM   #1
Mistyfarm
“Tis but a scratch!”
Mistyfarm began at the beginning.

Device: Mac 2007
Limited Kindle Unlimited

Has anybody else been locked out?

I received an email from "M" at Amazon.com.au telling me;
"I have checked the details and I see that you have reached maximum number of books you can borrow per month. You will be able to borrow books in a few days once the borrow books goes below the limit in last 30 days.

To learn more about the terms and conditions please visit the link below :

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201556940"

I can't find any mention of maximums or monthly limits.

I can still purchase fine, just not download KU.

It's hardly "unlimited" if there's a limit! Especially since there's a limited no of titles to begin with!

......... It looks like the Terms link above doesn't work anymore but the FAQ still says:

Unlimited Reading
Kindle Unlimited gives you the freedom to explore over 1 million titles. Try new genres, discover new authors, and dive into new adventures with unlimited access to our wide and varied selection of books. From business to romance, or comedy to tragedy, you will find unlimited stories waiting to be discovered. Relive the classics you grew up with, start on that bestseller you’ve been wanting to read or try one of the hundreds of thousands of books that are exclusive to Kindle. Find your next great read today.
Mistyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:06 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
How many books have you borrowed in the past 30 days? But I agree that any limit is odd on Kindle Unlimited.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2019, 06:16 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The FAQ is not quite correct. Any bestseller I want to read would not be available on KU. So how can they say to read that bestseller? It's all wrong.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:36 AM   #4
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistyfarm View Post
Has anybody else been locked out?

I received an email from "M" at Amazon.com.au telling me;
"I have checked the details and I see that you have reached maximum number of books you can borrow per month. You will be able to borrow books in a few days once the borrow books goes below the limit in last 30 days.

To learn more about the terms and conditions please visit the link below :

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201556940"

I can't find any mention of maximums or monthly limits.

I can still purchase fine, just not download KU.

It's hardly "unlimited" if there's a limit! Especially since there's a limited no of titles to begin with!

......... It looks like the Terms link above doesn't work anymore but the FAQ still says:

Unlimited Reading
Kindle Unlimited gives you the freedom to explore over 1 million titles. Try new genres, discover new authors, and dive into new adventures with unlimited access to our wide and varied selection of books. From business to romance, or comedy to tragedy, you will find unlimited stories waiting to be discovered. Relive the classics you grew up with, start on that bestseller you’ve been wanting to read or try one of the hundreds of thousands of books that are exclusive to Kindle. Find your next great read today.
How many books are you currently borrowing? What happens if you return a couple of your books?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:58 AM   #5
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I suspect that there is an large, unstated limit on how many KU books can be borrowed and read in a short time in order to block accounts created merely to increase revenue for specific KU authors.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2019, 08:08 AM   #6
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
There was a poster on the old Kindle forum, during the first few month of KU, that complained about being limited in the same way the OP describes.

Turns out she was borrowing hundreds of KU books per month. Her issue was part of an early scam, where "books" where published and placed in the KU program, by scammers. The books in question were nothing but masses of text, that made no sense.

She insisted they were legit books, and that she could read a few hundred books each month. The number she gave was outrageous, 300-400 per month, IIRC.

Anyway, here is the relevant snippet from the TOS for KU:

Restrictions

We reserve the right to accept or refuse membership in our discretion. You may not transfer or assign your membership or any Kindle Unlimited benefits. We may take reasonable actions necessary to prevent fraud, including placing restrictions on the number of titles that can be accessed from the program at any one time.

In all my years on the forums, she was the only person who ever came around posting about Amazon curtailing the number of books that could be borrowed each month.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:15 AM   #7
ShortNet
Connoisseur
ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (all flavors from 1 thru Oasis)
Possibly they think someone is borrowing and then saving them/selling them into a file sharing service using DRM removal? I could see that as an issue Amazon would be worried about.
I've had around 20-30 KU in a single month and haven't gotten that response (it was a long series of short books).
ShortNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:21 AM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNet View Post
Possibly they think someone is borrowing and then saving them/selling them into a file sharing service using DRM removal? I could see that as an issue Amazon would be worried about.
I've had around 20-30 KU in a single month and haven't gotten that response (it was a long series of short books).
To my knowledge Alf's tools won't remove the DRM from KU books. I might be mistaken, but that's what I've heard. Of course, not all books have DRM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:01 AM   #9
Mistyfarm
“Tis but a scratch!”

I'd have to go back and check for an exact number but I'd agree, probably more than enough to flag my account for April but no excuse for not contacting me to check that my account hadn't been hacked, if they really were worried. Instead, they just lock the account without notice - even though they can phone you in seconds if you request it under Support.

Other institutions are smart enough to do that IF they thought there was an issue.

But for a couple of months end feb to early april I didn't download any .... they didn't refund me for "non use".

They call it and specifically say it's "Unlimited" so, silly me, I took them at their word and just browsed and searched.

They pulled the plug without warning or subsequent contact, I had to make numerous Support tickets before "M" finally told me what was going on.......... and I'm still waiting to be told what the undisclosed limit really is now, "so I can follow the rules".

I even made a few purchases in that period for books that I thought were worth it and that I wanted, those purchases were processed promptly, even the 2 or 3 after I was locked out of KU. I used the same credit card that has been on file with them for years.

I've had an account with these geniuses for nearly a decade, very many purchases, they've even got a couple of my credit cards on file.

So what was I doing? I was trawling thru available KU titles on suicide, ptsd, depression and related subjects for a specific project I'm working.

I was looking for and did keyword searches for my current needs so I churned thru a quite few titles in April.

There were a couple of decent titles on the issues I was looking for but there are a lot of very short (<10-40 pages), questionable to downright weird KU titles offered for "discerning" KU customers.

But I wasn't worried .... it was "Unlimited" right?

Still waiting to hear back from "M" and Kindle Au.....................................
Old 05-06-2019, 10:19 AM   #10
Mistyfarm
“Tis but a scratch!”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
There was a poster on the old Kindle forum, during the first few month of KU, that complained about being limited in the same way the OP describes.

Turns out she was borrowing hundreds of KU books per month. Her issue was part of an early scam, where "books" where published and placed in the KU program, by scammers. The books in question were nothing but masses of text, that made no sense.

She insisted they were legit books, and that she could read a few hundred books each month. The number she gave was outrageous, 300-400 per month, IIRC.

Anyway, here is the relevant snippet from the TOS for KU:

Restrictions

We reserve the right to accept or refuse membership in our discretion. You may not transfer or assign your membership or any Kindle Unlimited benefits. We may take reasonable actions necessary to prevent fraud, including placing restrictions on the number of titles that can be accessed from the program at any one time.

In all my years on the forums, she was the only person who ever came around posting about Amazon curtailing the number of books that could be borrowed each month.
Fraud?? ........ Oh, please, please, please allege "Fraud"! ...... see my reply re having my account and credit card, ID, "Showing 201 - 229 of 229 items in Books--All" etc already purchased and on file, for nearly a decade of Amazon membership.

...... I'll see their Fraud ...... and raise them, False Advertising!
Old 05-06-2019, 10:36 AM   #11
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I suspect there isn't a definite number of books that will tip a person past the limit. You can't really compare 10 books of 280 pages with 10 books of 10-40 pages.

The "limit" is most likely based on other algorithms.

Like the old example I posted...the very small books being borrowed may trigger red flags.

Editing to add...it may be "fraud" of the book sellers, not the subscriber that Amazon is concerned about. Unfortunately the customer is pulled in to the issue as well.

Last edited by Deskisamess; 05-06-2019 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:50 AM   #12
Byrdie
Walking Library
Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle Paperwhite 5, 16 gb version
I'm in Canada and KU only lets me have 10 books at a time, had to return one a couple days ago when I found another I wanted to read and hadn't realized I was already at the maximum. So maybe it's really only Kindle Unlimited for U.S. members.
Byrdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:55 AM   #13
Mistyfarm
“Tis but a scratch!”

It's all good mate! I have no problems following the rules at all.

I only ask that they're upfront with the rules.

They're quick to take my money when I buy but just as quick to freeze my access to KU when it suits them or if their "algorithm" says so ........ are Amazon and Boeing outsourcing to the same software programmers?? (OK, ack cheap shot)
Old 05-06-2019, 10:57 AM   #14
Deskisamess
Wizard

It's 10 books at the same time in the US as well. The "limit" the op has bumped in to is one of the total number borrowed over a one month period.

Amazon doesn't name this limit, because it's rare to run into it.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:57 AM   #15
Mistyfarm
“Tis but a scratch!”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdie View Post
I'm in Canada and KU only lets me have 10 books at a time, had to return one a couple days ago when I found another I wanted to read and hadn't realized I was already at the maximum. So maybe it's really only Kindle Unlimited for U.S. members.
Yep, here too. I return all crappy and/or non relevant books promptly.

So have been at Zero since 28th,