Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 01-22-2015, 03:32 PM   #31
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I dont mind, but in this case, your requests were on the todo list already and indeed, have already been implemented. The screenshots eschwartz posted were of a work in progress.
Kovid - I assumed you would, but it never hurts to ask

There's been no mention of Sigil's Links Report. I've 'tried' to use it on books with lots of links to foot notes, references, maps, and hierarchical index entries. It works after a fashion, but...

IMO what's really needed are side by side windows. The file with the link on the left, and the file where the target is on the right. Be nice if the two windows could be independently switched between code and preview modes and the link in question was highlighted. Maybe a double click on an entry in the report could pop an entirely separate two pane window rather than using the main window panes. The edit facilities in code view could/should be a subset of the main editor - i.e. just the basics.

Also be nice if the list would adjust column widths (Text and Target File) so that a line fitted on the available width. Exclusion of html links, and links with/without matches would be nice to have.

Be interested to hear from others who use this feature, particularly on books with lots of links. Maybe my expectations are not aligned to the reports intended use.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:54 PM   #32
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phossler View Post
Nice. Some questions about the 4 screenshots. Since they're preliminary, questions might not be valid any more

General Question: how interactive will the reports be?

Specifics:

Will a grid be sort-able by clicking on a column heading?
Yes, it does.

Quote:
Will the columns be persistently re-arrangeable? For example, in the [File] report, I'd like the file type first, and then the file name
Perhaps the feature to rearrange columns can be added, if it isn't on the TODO yet. We can do it in the main library interface, so probably.

Quote:
Will there be a 'collapse/expand'? I could collapse the 20 Text File lines into one to make the display more concise for the Style Sheets
Well, you could simply use the filter.

Quote:
If you click on a Filename or Image in the [Files] and [Images] reports, will that link and open to the file?
It will open the file in the main editor window, or switch to that tab. Same goes for the Style Rules tab.

Quote:
Will there be a Classes report?
Yep.

Quote:
It's nice that it shows an image is used 2 times, but showing the files where it is used and linking to the position in the file would make navigation faster
Links report?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	report-styles.png
Views:	204
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	134062   Click image for larger version

Name:	report-characters-all-characters.png
Views:	203
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	134063   Click image for larger version

Name:	reports-filter-stylesheets.png
Views:	202
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	134064  

Last edited by eschwartz; 01-22-2015 at 04:59 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2015, 05:45 PM   #33
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Links report?
Links Report (also known as The Structure of Magic :lol: )

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	134072

BR
Old 01-22-2015, 06:15 PM   #34
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
@eschwartz --

Thanks for more details

I was going by the screen shots in #22 which seem to be done at different times and I did miss some features

Quote:
Links report?
I would think of a links report more along the lines of capturing this type of information

Code:
<p class="noindent" id="note01"><a ref="chapter_2.html#cite01">[1]</a>
like BR's #33

What I was thinking was more of a 'Where Used' listing that would provide information that tells me that image001.jpg is use in chap_001.html 3 times and in chap_004.html 2 times
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:18 PM   #35
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I could see a links report listing image links as well...

@phossler, it is a work in progress, so I took a picture of each feature as I saw it added.
Advert
Old 01-22-2015, 06:39 PM   #36
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Well, I could see a links report listing image links as well...

@phossler, it is a work in progress, so I took a picture of each feature as I saw it added.
¡ can we have hourly progress reports on its evolution ¿

Sigils Links report only has meaning when you click on something, it takes you to the file where the link is, but not to the line containing the link, and the 'page' where the target is located in displayed in Preview. IMO you really want both ends available in code view (with a 'nice to have' switch to preview option)

Maybe the split could be done by splitting the code and preview panes horizontally with source and target at top and bottom respectively.

BR
Old 01-22-2015, 07:36 PM   #37
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Well, when you click on anything with line data in calibre's reports tool, which so far means Style Rules, you get sent to the line itself.

Everything Reports on files, obviously there is no line data, and word/character counts don't link to every time they are used...

I suspect any hypothetical Links Report pane would emulate the Style Rules.

I would prefer the Reports tool to be optionally dockable, rather than having its own editor and previewer. But maybe that is just me.

(I can do hourly reports. Nothing new as yet. It is 6 AM there though.)
Old 01-22-2015, 08:47 PM   #38
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
@eschwartz

Quote:

Understand and appreciate the updated status and information

Please continue

Thanks
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:59 PM   #39
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Double clicking images, words, characters takes you to the places in the HTML/CSS were they are linked to/used.

Double clicking entries in the style rules takes you to where the rule is defined, expanding a style rule you get a list of places in the html where it matches, and double clicking on those jumps to them.

I have no plans to add a links report. The Check Book tool already checks for broken links and allows you to jump to them, and the editor autocompletes href attributes.

I suggest you wait till the feature is released and play with it, otherwise I will spend more time explaining it here than actually coding it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:36 PM   #40
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Heh.

Just think of it as we are schmoozing here, and ignore us unless we are touching on something you decide to incorporate.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:47 AM   #41
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Kovid,
Big thanks for this report. I had just some time to play with it and I like the report very much.
I have some problematic books where I did some quick tests. Not only that I can open these much faster in the calibre editor (some of them take in Sigil some cups of coffee), the reports seems to be more accurate. I need some time to figure out all the differences, but what I am seeing is impressing me very much.

Something I am missing (and also in Sigil) is the information what kind of font is used for a character. I don’t know if this is something what is easy to pull from the reporting tool, but that is something what is sometimes very helpful if there is more than one character set involved. Maybe you have some when a bit spare time for this .
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:00 AM   #42
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Perhaps the feature to rearrange columns can be added, if it isn't on the TODO yet. We can do it in the main library interface, so probably.
It does now.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:05 AM   #43
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@Divingduck: Cool As for reporting what fonts are used for what characters, it is possible, but it would be fairly slow, and would only work for embedded fonts, since otherwise the font used is system dependent. Basically, it would use the code from the font subsetting tool.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:39 AM   #44
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
I like the report about styles a lot.

I used to use "search" to find out about them, but using the new report function works a lot faster and gains certainly more insight.

Much appreciated Kovid!
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:10 AM   #45
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I have no plans to add a links report. The Check Book tool already checks for broken links and allows you to jump to them, and the editor autocompletes href attributes.
My occasional use of Sigil's Links report hasn't been to resolve issues of broken links; rather the issue of wrongful links -- eg a footnote link in a Fish Head Soup recipe takes me to a note about Barbecued Bear Paws

Usually when it happens its not one link that's wrong, its a swag of them. The Links report is useful in detecting any pattern in the 'wrongfulness'; usually there is a pattern.

Given the limited usage of Sigil's Links report it's probably not worth bothering with it in the Calibre editor. The current version of Sigil won't stop working this side of Q3/2026, which is my guess for Win10 end of life.

BR