Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 03-23-2014, 03:58 PM   #1
user743
Addict
user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kindle PW2 special offers removed by Amazon for FREE
How do i deal with "calibre" tags in my css

When adding html files to calibre (portable 1.28 on Windows), as new ebooks. then converting them to azw3 to edit them. calibre adds many tags. (such as "<calibre p> <calibre class 1> <calibre class 2>".)

is there a way not to have "calibre" tags" added.
or is there a guide as to when calibre will insert each tag so i can properly create/edit my css file? (if it's in the calibre guide please tell me were)
user743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:17 PM   #2
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Use the editor to create an azw3 it rather than converting it with calibre. The editor adds nothing.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2014, 04:24 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
when calibre converts an ebook, it consolidates all css into unique "calibre*" tags. That was Kovid's design decision, for better or worse. There is no way to get around it by converting, so as mrmikel said, use the editor -- it can edit azw3 as well as EPUB. Or you can use kindlegen.

Is it really a problem though? I assume EPUB will be your master format, what does it matter what the AZW3 looks like inside? You will always be editing the EPUB.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:25 PM   #4
user743
Addict
user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
Use the editor to create an azw3 it rather than converting it with calibre. The editor adds nothing.

I don't understand, aren't you only able to edit azw3 and epub, not html.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:46 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
If you want TOTAL control over the CSS class names, don't let calibre convert the material. You can still use calibre, just avoid doing conversions with it.

Look at either using Sigil to create an ePub or the Calibre editor to create ePub or azw3 format file.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2014, 09:04 PM   #6
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

An epub is a collection of html files. Find one in the MR library and open it with Sigil or the Calibre editor. You will see the files and how they are organized and you can take a look at the CSS stylesheet too.

Create a blank book and import your html files, stylesheet and images. Work on it till you are happy. Use the Table of Contents Tools in either to create a TOC, or HTML TOC then save and preview in a target device. Note defects and fix, repeat.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:27 PM   #7
user743
Addict

where dose it say when each "calibre" tag is inserted? - if it's in the calibre guide please specify where.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:33 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It happens during the conversion output.

The calibre User Guide doesn't document the behind-the-scenes engines that power calibre.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:04 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The calibre "tags" or classes are built for each book based on the markup already present in the book. There is NO rule saying calibre1 is always used for the main text, or calibre59 for a heading.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:39 PM   #10
user743
Addict

How can i do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
If i understand correctly, i should open the editor directly.
which file is should i open?
how do i create a "azw3 it" ("xxxx.azw3" - if i understand correctly)? can i simply change the file name in the editor?

Last edited by user743; 03-24-2014 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:01 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by user743 View Post
how do i create a "azw3 it" ("xxxx.azw3" - if i understand correctly)? can i simply change the file name in the editor?
the book editor (W7 x64) does not seem to allow changing the type in Save a Copy
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:20 PM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Why would the editor allow changing format on Save As? That's not the purpose of the editor; rather its designed to create / edit a file in azw3 OR epub format.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:01 AM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by user743 View Post
Export the actual html pages from unpacking the EPUB. You can use the Unpack Book tool, with the shortcut key "U" (or add it to the toolbar, under Preferences ==> Interface ==> Toolbar) to get a folder with the html files. Then you need merely import those files into the current book.

You can also try kindlegen from Amazon, I believe they do not recreate the styles from scratch.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:40 AM   #14
user743
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Export the actual html pages from unpacking the EPUB. You can use the Unpack Book tool, with the shortcut key "U" (or add it to the toolbar, under Preferences ==> Interface ==> Toolbar) to get a folder with the html files. Then you need merely import those files into the current book.

You can also try kindlegen from Amazon, I believe they do not recreate the styles from scratch.
It looks like you misunderstood. I'm starting with one html file, that was never part of a ebook.
i want to
  1. edit it
  2. add a css file
  3. save it as a ebook (azw3).
adding it to a new empty ebook in cailbre, doesn't either work. because calibre gives me a error message that it's empty. (what is the point of adding a empty ebook if it stays empty. a bug?)
Old 03-25-2014, 08:51 AM   #15
mrmikel
Color me gone

Open the calibre editor. File edit, Import files into book. Import stylesheet into book.
Add step here: Split file at chapters so it doesn't make reader run slow or barf altogether.
Save.
That's it.
You make a shortcut to the editor directly in windows using:
"C:\Program Files\Calibre2\ebook-edit.exe"

Tags
<calibre> tags, calibre, calibre portable, css, html import to calibre