Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-31-2011, 03:34 AM   #16
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
It is not true that all accounts need to be Administrator accounts under XP to allow them to share a library. That is only needed if the Calibre library (and contents) have not been set up to allow full read-write access to all users. Using Administrator only type accounts is simply a way of avoiding having to get the file/folder permissions set up correctly.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:02 AM   #17
Philip36Fld
Enthusiast
Philip36Fld began at the beginning.

Device: none
Some more detailed information might be appropriate here, itimpi. Keep in mind however that my background is on legacy mainframes, not this small stuff where I am just a "dumb user", and that I have not written a piece of code (COBOL, EASYTRIEVE, and SQL at that) in over 30 years.
Philip36Fld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2011, 12:06 PM   #18
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I jsut created a specific folder to hold the Calibre library (e.g. D:\CalibreLibrary) and then right-clicked and called up properties and ensured that the permissions allowed all users full control over that folder and all files and sub-folders. Having done that I had no problems with users sharing the calibre library.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:53 PM   #19
Philip36Fld
Enthusiast

It has been a long time since I have had to think at this level with these machines so it was not immediately intuitive that there are indeed multiple levels of sharing. Thank you for your patience.

It now seems that I have run into the long-standing and infamous "unable to remove Read-Only attribute" design feature in my OS. Specifically my machine is running Windows XP Professional 32-Bit with Service Pack 3, version 3.0.

Again, for now I will have to live with either making all calibre user accounts Adminstrator accounts prior to any of them using calibre, or with having just one calibre user on the computer in question.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:14 PM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip36Fld View Post
It has been a long time since I have had to think at this level with these machines so it was not immediately intuitive that there are indeed multiple levels of sharing. Thank you for your patience.

It now seems that I have run into the long-standing and infamous "unable to remove Read-Only attribute" design feature in my OS. Specifically my machine is running Windows XP Professional 32-Bit with Service Pack 3, version 3.0.

Again, for now I will have to live with either making all calibre user accounts Adminstrator accounts prior to any of them using calibre, or with having just one calibre user on the computer in question.
You have Professional. That has more control(s)
Did you try right click on the Folder: Properties Sharing tab?

BTW Calibre installs the program for All Users if installed by an Administrator

(Look in: /Documents and Settings/All Users/Start menu) See if the Calibre shortcut is there
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2011, 08:57 PM   #21
Philip36Fld
Enthusiast

Yup, done did all of that; Properties Sharing and even tried the attrib command at DOS as per other suggestions. A web search using "unable to remove Read-Only attribute" will give you a good idea of the road I have been down.

Presently I am the only one on the machine, so yes when I installed calibre I was, and still am the administrator. calibre was indeed installed in C:/Documents and Settings/All Users/Start Menu/Programs.

This is not of an immediate concern. What I have been trying to do is prepare in advance for my SO. With the results so far our mutual comfort and funding levels will have to determine the final solution; administrator access or a separate computer.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:08 AM   #22
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
You would be better of running calibre with a batch file as if I remember correctly even if you are able to use the library from both profiles calibre settings would be different for both users so you will have to install plugins etc 2 times and any custom setting you make won't be available to the 2nd profile.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:31 AM   #23
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
You would be better of running calibre with a batch file as if I remember correctly even if you are able to use the library from both profiles calibre settings would be different for both users so you will have to install plugins etc 2 times and any custom setting you make won't be available to the 2nd profile.
Good idea.

Running one common calibre settings folder is an advantage of starting calibre from a batch file. All plugins and calibre library custom settings will then be the same for all users. This is how I run my library from dropbox, even though I install calibre independently on each of the machines, the config directory is the exact same directory on each machine.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:57 AM   #24
Philip36Fld
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlutes View Post
Forget I said anything - I misread your question and thought you were asking about multiple Calibre logins/users - not Windows users.
jlutes, you did not miss anything . Keep in mind that I have been "playing" with this software for less than a week now or there abouts, ebooks in general for less than a month.

In deed one of the options I had been considering was multiple id's within calibre itself . That was of course just before I discovered custom columns and tags which I am now using to identify books currently being read by multiple people and books that they have already read.

Last edited by Philip36Fld; 09-01-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:12 AM   #25
Philip36Fld
Enthusiast

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Good idea.

Running one common calibre settings folder is an advantage of starting calibre from a batch file. All plugins and calibre library custom settings will then be the same for all users. This is how I run my library from dropbox, even though I install calibre independently on each of the machines, the config directory is the exact same directory on each machine.
Dopedangel and dwanthny, you have both given me a lot to think about.
After doing a search of the user manual and a quick peek at the relevant material I have some studying to do before plotting out how I want to implement things.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:17 AM   #26
rbid
rbid began at the beginning.

Nice... hope soon some locking will be implemented and multiple PCs can access the database.

Here at home, I have a NAS box with all my books and music, and I was planning to use Calibre from different PCs to manage and access the books from several locations, also allow my family to access the books at the same time.. which is currently a problem as far I see on this thread.
rbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:23 AM   #27
itimpi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbid View Post
Nice... hope soon some locking will be implemented and multiple PCs can access the database.

Here at home, I have a NAS box with all my books and music, and I was planning to use Calibre from different PCs to manage and access the books from several locations, also allow my family to access the books at the same time.. which is currently a problem as far I see on this thread.
As you have mentioned there is a potential problem if multiple instances of Calibre are running aginst the same calibre database.

However how about in your case letting family members view and retrieve books using the calibre Content Server? There are no problems with multiple people using that at the same time as the Content Server never updates the database. You should also be able to use multiple instances of the Calibre viewer at the same time I believe.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:57 AM   #28
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
letting family members view and retrieve books using the calibre Content Server? There are no problems with multiple people using that at the same time as the Content Server never updates the database.
Not only is it possible to let multiple people access the same library at the same time, it's also possible to restrict access for different users. He can run multiple servers against the same (or different libraries), each server can have a different password, and each can have a different restriction (subset of accessible books in a common library). It's not a perfect multiuser system, but it can meet most needs.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote