Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-10-2020, 01:41 AM   #31
Noobien
Enthusiast
Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Ive been playing around a little more with mine
SimpleInkLauncher has been really good, I've got it set to open my reading app on launch which makes the device feel like a much more cohesive ebook reader.

At the moment I'm deciding on if I make calibre companion the default reading app and then make it open up moon+ to actually read the books...
Definitely much happier with it now!

The only gripe I have currently is that when optimising apps to use speed mode, it seems to ignore the refresh every X pages setting. I would ideally like to use it on speed mode when reading for a faster refresh and have it refresh every 5 pages for example
Noobien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 02:25 AM   #32
AnimalOfArt
Groupie
AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: changing frequently
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
No, the NeoReader can only use the options available in Android.
However, many applications are designed for color, so it makes sense to set the background to white and the font to black and to switch off animations.
In my eyes, the NeoReader only makes sense in the Notes devices, because only it can be scribbled in ebooks.
Thank you for your insights. What about the ghosting in 3rd party apps? Doesn't NeoReader have less ghosting because it is optimized for the Boox devices?

Quote:
To do this, Android functions would have to be rewritten, which will certainly not happen.

You agree, that I can set the sleep/power off screens to my own images, right? I mean you can long press on an image and set as sleep/poweroff screen or use the "Screensaver" app, Onyx provides.

Now the developers would only need to program that function, that the Screensaver app provides into the NeoReader, when you open up an ebook with it.

Do you see what I mean?
AnimalOfArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2020, 03:43 AM   #33
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalOfArt View Post
Thank you for your insights. What about the ghosting in 3rd party apps? Doesn't NeoReader have less ghosting because it is optimized for the Boox devices?
It cannot be optimized - it uses the available features like every other Android app.
Quote:
You agree, that I can set the sleep/power off screens to my own images, right? I mean you can long press on an image and set as sleep/poweroff screen or use the "Screensaver" app, Onyx provides.
It is not from Onyx - it is an Android feature
Quote:
Now the developers would only need to program that function, that the Screensaver app provides into the NeoReader, when you open up an ebook with it.
Again - Boox and Likebook devices are not ebook readers.
They are Android tablets.
They can also be used as readers and because the screen is based on eInk, which is ideal for this.
The NeoReader is only suitable for Notes in my opinion - otherwise it stinks enormously against special applications, the library management contained in these devices is inferior and should not be used if you want a little convenience.

It is not worth the effort to intervene in the Android (Google) operating system (because it is not intended there) - and something like that would be necessary.
Quote:

Do you see what I mean?
Yes - I see, but you are wrong.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 04:53 AM   #34
kndlewis
Connoisseur
kndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watch

Device: Current Favorite: Boox Leaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobien View Post

The only gripe I have currently is that when optimising apps to use speed mode, it seems to ignore the refresh every X pages setting. I would ideally like to use it on speed mode when reading for a faster refresh and have it refresh every 5 pages for example
There's a "Full Refresh Frequency" slider in the App Optimization. Can you set this to work the refresh you're after?
kndlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 05:01 AM   #35
AnimalOfArt
Groupie
AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kndlewis View Post
There is a setting in Neo Reader under general settings for "Show Bookmarks Location". If you uncheck this box the blank bookmark on every page is gone but you can still tap the upper right corner to bookmark the page and the bookmark will show on that page.
Thank you, you helped me a lot!

Quote:
Yes - I see, but you are wrong.
Well, then please explain, why the Tolino App on Tolino devices can change the sleeping screen on android. And please watch your profanity. Thank you in advance!
Advert
Old 05-10-2020, 08:01 AM   #36
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well, then please explain, why the Tolino App on Tolino devices can change the sleeping screen on android. And please watch your profanity. Thank you in advance!
Tolino (Kobo) has been producing ebook readers and since Rakuten-Kobo bought Tolino, because it was in Kobo for a long time, it was also introduced at Tolino.
Onyx-Boox and Boyue-Likebook, on the other hand, create Android tablets that can also be used as readers - the reading application is not important, because others are better.

Also, I don't see anything like that - when the cover is closed, the screen is covered, and when it is open, .....

Last edited by ottischwenk; 05-10-2020 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-10-2020, 08:35 AM   #37
AnimalOfArt
Groupie

Quote:
Tolino (Kobo) has been producing ebook readers and since Rakuten-Kobo bought Tolino, because it was in Kobo for a long time, it was also introduced at Tolino.
Onyx-Boox and Boyue-Likebook, on the other hand, create Android tablets that can also be used as readers - the reading application is not important, because others are better.

Also, I don't see anything like that - when the cover is closed, the screen is covered, and when it is open, .....
For me, it was about the technical possibilty, not about the device philosophy. I mean, when the Tolino app can change the Screensaver of its eink android ereaders, than the NeoReader (Boox App) should technically be able to change it on Boox' eink android tablets.

But let's not argue about it. You obviously don't care about this feature, so why bother it discussing with me ?!

What 3rd party reader apps do you recommend?

Last edited by AnimalOfArt; 05-10-2020 at 08:55 AM.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:14 AM   #38
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
For me, it was about the technical possibilty, not about the device philosophy. I mean, when the Tolino app can change the Screensaver of its eink android ereaders, than the NeoReader (Boox App) should technically be able to change it on Boox' eink android tablets.
Of course, such things are theoretically possible, but surely nobody will do this effort.
Quote:
What 3rd party reader apps do you recommend?
Calibre Companion and Alreader and only for fixed layout the NeoReader.
Dictionary - Goldendict app.
Amazon books - Kindle app.
Onleihe - Onleihe App and Pocketbook app for reading Adobe DRM books.
Important - in apps: switch off animation and set background to white and fonts to black.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:50 AM   #39
Noobien
Enthusiast
Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There's a "Full Refresh Frequency" slider in the App Optimization. Can you set this to work the refresh you're after?
I've tried that and it sadly doesn't work. Seems to work as intended in regal and normal mode but not in speed or X mode unfortunately
Old 05-10-2020, 05:09 PM   #40
kndlewis
Connoisseur
kndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watch

Device: Current Favorite: Boox Leaf
I think 'speed' and 'x' are designed to not refresh much in order to enable faster screen draws. That's probably why the full screen refresh doesn't work in these modes.
kndlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 11:07 PM   #41
Noobien
Enthusiast

Quote:
I think 'speed' and 'x' are designed to not refresh much in order to enable faster screen draws. That's probably why the full screen refresh doesn't work in these modes.
Yeah I figured that was the case. The other option is to just sue the nav ball to manually refresh, but it would be nice if you could have the increased speed and be able refresh every 10 pages or so
Old 05-11-2020, 12:47 AM   #42
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Yeah I figured that was the case. The other option is to just sue the nav ball to manually refresh, but it would be nice if you could have the increased speed and be able refresh every 10 pages or so
Do you really want a full screen refresh while watching video?
Because that's what X-Mode is used for.
Old 05-11-2020, 08:51 AM   #43
Noobien
Enthusiast

Quote:
Do you really want a full screen refresh while watching video?
Because that's what X-Mode is used for.
No, but I wouldn't read in X mode anyway. It would be nice to have the option to refresh in speed mode or be given the option to disable refresh entirely for those modes. Speed mode is about as fast as my Kindle Oasis 2.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:41 AM   #44
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Speed mode is about as fast as my Kindle Oasis 2.
Speed Mode is Regal Mode of Carta display refresh.
Full refresh is only in normal mode available.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 05-11-2020 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-12-2020, 06:54 AM   #45
Simboubou
Connoisseur
Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quick question regarding the android thing.

I've grown more aware of rendering issues ebooks (bad hyphens, weird word spacing, etc...).

I could consider switching from kobo to Poke2. If it's an android tablet, does it mean I can download the same reading apps on my phone to test them, see the options they have and, if I like them, expect to have the same experience on Poke2 ?
Simboubou is offline   Reply With Quote