Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > BBeB/LRF Books

Notices

Old 05-05-2007, 11:17 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Post Childers, Erskine: The Riddle of the Sands. v1. 5 May 07

One of the first great spy novels, "The Riddle of the Sands" is set during the long suspicious years leading up to the First World War. The story builds in excitement as two young men on a sailing holiday discover a German plot to invade England.

This book, published in 1903, was hugely popular and influential in the years prior to WWI. Winston Churchill later said that it directly influenced the Admiralty to build a number of major British naval bases. The book remains worth reading, both as an excellent spy story and also as one of the all-time great sailing novels, for its wonderful depiction of early 20th century small boat sailing, in the days when the two most important things to take along on a cruise were a compass, and a pound of your favourite pipe tobacco.

Unfortunately the author, Erskine Childers, came to a sticky end. He was heavily involved in Irish nationalism and was executed by firing squad in Dublin by the government of the Irish Free State in 1922, regarded as a traitor by all sides in the (then ongoing) Irish civil war.

I've added the maps and charts of the original book to the PG text, which (I think) makes the book tremendously better.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: zip The_Riddle_of_the_Sands.zip (734.5 KB, 1791 views)
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 01:16 PM   #2
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
Please consider making this version available to Project Gutenberg. This book definitely should be available in HTML.

BTW there was a nice series from this book in TV many years ago.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2007, 01:23 PM   #3
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1/REB 1200
It is already at Project Gutenberg, and there's a HTML version also, which is where I suspect the maps came from...
ashkulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 01:30 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's correct. There is an HTML version, but it only seems to be available for reading on-line in a "page by page" manner. I downloaded the maps from that, and added them to the text version which is at PG.

There would be nothing particularly to gain from an HTML version of the book's text, because all it has, over the text version, are italics, which are marked in the usual PG manner of _italics_ in the text version. Obviously I've converted these back to proper italics in my version. The main thing the PG version lacks are the maps, which are in the HTML version.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:33 PM   #5
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

HarryT, do you use GutenMark as the first step for your conversions? I've found it to give quite good output on whatever books I've tried..
Advert
Old 05-05-2007, 01:35 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

No, I've not tried that. I'll give it a go. Thanks for the recommendation!
Old 05-05-2007, 01:48 PM   #7
sartori
Connoisseur
sartori began at the beginning.

Harry,

I'm not sure if this site would be a time-savings for you but they have many of the books you have been posting already converted to xml format. Here is the book listed in this thread http://arthursclassicnovels.com/arth...y/riddls10.xml

The main site is http://arthurwendover.com/arthurs/

The books are from the PG sources but have been cleaned up. Unfortunately it doesn't look like the images are included though.

Sartori
sartori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 02:00 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks, Sartori - I'll take a look at that.

I'll be perfectly honest, though. There are two main reasons I'm converting these books:

Firstly, because I want to read them.

Secondly - and this is the main reason - which is simply that I find it a really fun and satisfying thing to do; to start with a text file and finish up with a good-looking book on the Reader.

I'm doing it really solely for my own selfish reasons. If, by uploading them here, other people also find them interesting to read, that's purely a "bonus".

I'm no saint - I wouldn't be spending several hours a day doing this for any reason other than the fact that I just plain enjoy doing it .
Old 05-05-2007, 02:17 PM   #9
sartori
Connoisseur
sartori began at the beginning.

Harry,

I know what you mean - I've started to play around with converting stuff. Right now I'm at the point of taking the PG plain text and then locating the scanned copy on archive.org and trying to format the book as close to the original as possible. (This is also a great source of images - I've found searching for the book title + the keyword DJVU is the easiest way to find the original book scans in JPG or TIF)

It is fun to try and overcome the limitations of the lrf file format. I'm still not as skilled in BD as I would like to be but the learning process is enjoyable.

P.S. Thanks for all your contributions, they look great.

Sartori
sartori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 02:41 PM   #10
ashkulz
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sartori
Right now I'm at the point of taking the PG plain text and then locating the scanned copy on archive.org and trying to format the book as close to the original as possible. (This is also a great source of images - I've found searching for the book title + the keyword DJVU is the easiest way to find the original book scans in JPG or TIF)
That's a very nice tip! I especially love illustrations. I'll look into downloading these and including illustrations...
Old 05-06-2007, 12:48 AM   #11
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
PG has only the plaintext version.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote