Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-13-2010, 02:57 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Gajah Oaxis ebook readers

Gajah International is a tech startup out of Singapore.They currently have 4 distributors in: USA, Holland, Russia, and Spain. As you can see from the photos, they have a number of models planned with several different screen technologies: E-ink, LCD, and Sipix (when it is available).

Unfortunately, not all of my photos came out well, so I can't show you all the models. My notes aren't good for much either. I visited the booth on Saturday, so my higher brain functions were shot after 3 days at CES. But I can tell you that Gajah is developing some e-readers with Adobe DE support, and some with Wifi. There are models both with and without touchscreens.

Oh, and the most important detail: they're shipping ereaders right now. I described the ones they have under development, and I have a good feeling that the new models will be released.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0439.jpg
Views:	733
Size:	776.2 KB
ID:	43313   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0440.jpg
Views:	725
Size:	726.0 KB
ID:	43314   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0441.JPG
Views:	698
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	43315   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0442.JPG
Views:	672
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	43316   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0443.JPG
Views:	708
Size:	835.7 KB
ID:	43317   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0444.JPG
Views:	646
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	43318   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0445.JPG
Views:	630
Size:	844.8 KB
ID:	43319   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0446.JPG
Views:	656
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	43320   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0447.jpg
Views:	651
Size:	646.5 KB
ID:	43321   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0432.JPG
Views:	716
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	43323   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0433.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	736.5 KB
ID:	43324   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0436.JPG
Views:	705
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	43325   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0437.JPG
Views:	670
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	43326   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0438.JPG
Views:	679
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	43327  

Last edited by Nate the great; 01-13-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:13 PM   #2
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
The blue one looks nice even with that big bezel. Any prices yet?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:23 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
The blue one looks nice even with that big bezel. Any prices yet?
If you'll look at pictures 7 and 8, you'll see that the blue one is in front of a poster. I believe the model number in the poster matches the unit on display. My notes say it has a release date in March, and I don't know the expected price.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:32 PM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
The white one, to the right of the last picture is for sale right now at the Dutch newspaper/bookshop ako (www.ako.nl) for €199. I did hear there were some problems with the firmware...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:37 PM   #5
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Where do they distribute in Spain?
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:15 AM   #6
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Do they have any big screen reader?
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:34 PM   #7
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
I really like Gajah's designs and will probably work one into my store soon.

They are all very thin and the bezels are not very deep. I have seen on some devices the Bezel create a shadow on the display. They had a range of devices on display that were using different Freescale Arm processors. Slower processors would be basic readers at with a couple simple buttons with no touch or wifi etc etc. The devices with the faster processors would allow for touch,wifi and other bells and whistles.

I liked the basic black one shown in Nate's pics and they said they would probably do it with less shiny materials. Also the "Oaxis" version and some of the others would have that rubberized grippy material that I appreciate so much on my TV remote. It doesn't slide when you put it down and it feels good in hand.

Its possible that with their designs we could see a device with a 6 inch display that would still fit in pockets pretty well AND get close to being $200 at retail.

One of the cleanest designs they have is actually going to end up as a new device for another well known ereader company similar to how Bebook is using Onyx hardware for its NEO.

They will be making a 9 inch version as well. They had a poster for it but no device at hand.

One really nice design they had would intrigue yvanleterrible i bet , seeing his avatar. In this pic by Nate you can see the drawing of a drawing in the background depicting a hand and some buttons? One of the devices had Page Turn buttons on the BACK.

The idea for this was commuters standing on the trains holding the book with one hand and a strap/bar with the other. Because of the placement of the buttons you could easily hold the device in either hand and use your index or middle finger to turn the pages using those buttons ala the finger placement in yvanleterrible's avatar

My pic didn't turn out well but I'll have better ones from them soon and I'll post them here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0432.JPG
Views:	2330
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	43734  

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 01-18-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:09 AM   #8
Scott Nielsen
Groupie
Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: iPad, K3, K4, T1
Looks promising.

But I'd be concerned about the future of any company that do not respond to questions sent to their sales email address (I've tried through both myoaxis.com and through their parent, Gajah).
Scott Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:44 AM   #9
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Nielsen View Post
Looks promising.

But I'd be concerned about the future of any company that do not respond to questions sent to their sales email address (I've tried through both myoaxis.com and through their parent, Gajah).
I contacted them a while back too, but no reply.
This is why I am so impressed with the people from Onyx (and their resellers). They are genuinly interested in communicating with the customers and they seem to be taking our feedback seriously.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:56 AM   #10
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
"No more ink on your fingers"
"Environmentally friendlier choice"
"Take along to your destination"

These people need to try watching an episode of Mad Men or something.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:16 AM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
I contacted them a while back too, but no reply.
This is why I am so impressed with the people from Onyx (and their resellers). They are genuinly interested in communicating with the customers and they seem to be taking our feedback seriously.

This may be difficult to convey, what I'm about to say, but sometimes (ESPECIALLY in Peru), there is a cultural "lag" in the way companies do business with individuals. Companies do NOT return phone calls; also, Peruvians do not have the same sense of "TIME" that Western cultures have. (I am NOT generalizing, and these are not my words - they were taken from a number of professionals that I work with. Here time is jokingly called "Peruvian Time.")

What this means, regarding Peru, is that other countries have come in and have been doing business using different methods and MANY businesses have been successful. They have taken dominance over their Peruvian competition simply because they are receptive to the demands/requests of their customers. Returning something as simple as a phone call conveys a sense of caring.

What is my point here? Simply this:

If returning phone calls from start-up companies is non-existent due to cultural issues or sheer incompetence, then consumers will move - like a herd of packed and tagged cattle - into another area of easy ingress.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:34 AM   #12
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
This may be difficult to convey, what I'm about to say, but sometimes (ESPECIALLY in Peru), there is a cultural "lag" in the way companies do business with individuals. Companies do NOT return phone calls; also, Peruvians do not have the same sense of "TIME" that Western cultures have. (I am NOT generalizing, and these are not my words - they were taken from a number of professionals that I work with. Here time is jokingly called "Peruvian Time.")

What this means, regarding Peru, is that other countries have come in and have been doing business using different methods and MANY businesses have been successful. They have taken dominance over their Peruvian competition simply because they are receptive to the demands/requests of their customers. Returning something as simple as a phone call conveys a sense of caring.

What is my point here? Simply this:

If returning phone calls from start-up companies is non-existent due to cultural issues or sheer incompetence, then consumers will move - like a herd of packed and tagged cattle - into another area of easy ingress.

Don
I hear you Don. Me thinks Peruans and Saudis have a lot in common
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote