Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-21-2018, 12:21 PM   #31
urnmo
urnmo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
a mere 3,181. And here I thought I was already in too deep. Thanks for enabling, y'all.
urnmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 06:46 PM   #32
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmo View Post
a mere 3,181. And here I thought I was already in too deep. Thanks for enabling, y'all.
There is a guy on reddit using calibre to organize 30,000 items and I think he has more now
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2018, 01:32 AM   #33
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza_Cant_Read View Post
There is a guy on reddit using calibre to organize 30,000 items and I think he has more now
30k is trivial- a search of this board will find claims of 300K or more books in calibre

& it seems to be bad form to ask if they were all legit purchases, or if they plan to live another 3000 years to actually read them
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 02:52 AM   #34
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
30k is trivial- a search of this board will find claims of 300K or more books in calibre

& it seems to be bad form to ask if they were all legit purchases, or if they plan to live another 3000 years to actually read them
We are talking about Calibre LIBRARIES. Where does this requirement that we should limit our libraries only to books we will definitely read. Or its corollary, that we should feel guilty if we have more books than we can read, or if we decide that a book we have will never be read.

I suspect most of those with truly large libraries acquired them in the old days when attitudes to piracy were a little different, and publishers had little or no interest in ebooks. Many also take advantage of the very good public domain ebooks which are now available from various sources.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 10:45 AM   #35
Aprril8
Aprril8 got an A in P-Chem.Aprril8 got an A in P-Chem.Aprril8 got an A in P-Chem.Aprril8 got an A in P-Chem.Aprril8 got an A in P-Chem.Aprril8 got an A in P-Chem.Aprril8 got an A in P-Chem.Aprril8 got an A in P-Chem.Aprril8 got an A in P-Chem.Aprril8 got an A in P-Chem.Aprril8 got an A in P-Chem.

Device: none
I have 3400 books on my computer. Some having borrowed from the library. I have Adobe Reader.
Aprril8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2018, 01:23 AM   #36
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
We are talking about Calibre LIBRARIES. Where does this requirement that we should limit our libraries only to books we will definitely read. Or its corollary, that we should feel guilty if we have more books than we can read, or if we decide that a book we have will never be read.

I suspect most of those with truly large libraries acquired them in the old days when attitudes to piracy were a little different, and publishers had little or no interest in ebooks. Many also take advantage of the very good public domain ebooks which are now available from various sources.
56,000 items maybe in US Public Domain. I would likely be satisfied with *only* those books to read. There is such an awesome amount of material before we die let alone TV and soon VR content. Makes me giddy

I want it all simply because I can have it all. Why not? Sure, the destruction of society is unlikely but what about destitution? That isn't too far off the charts of possibility. There is nothing wrong of having 'too much' of an infinite resource but too little of the same is borderline irresponsibility.

I may have brought that too far. But like I said... thinking about it makes me giddy!
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 05:40 PM   #37
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Public domain? I've got nearly 700 books in my library that are manuals downloaded from manufacturer's websites. (And probably a few hundred more in my calibre library at work.) I doubt these would be considered public domain, but I'm also sure it's not a copyright violation to collect them. (Yes, I've probably at least skimmed most of those, and likely at least touched the related device.)

Calibre has been great for organizing material like that, as well as adding notes and tags where the manual's title doesn't match the device's part number(s).
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:56 AM   #38
calibrejunkie
Page Junkie Dev
calibrejunkie got an A in P-Chem.calibrejunkie got an A in P-Chem.calibrejunkie got an A in P-Chem.calibrejunkie got an A in P-Chem.calibrejunkie got an A in P-Chem.calibrejunkie got an A in P-Chem.calibrejunkie got an A in P-Chem.calibrejunkie got an A in P-Chem.calibrejunkie got an A in P-Chem.calibrejunkie got an A in P-Chem.calibrejunkie got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Android Phone, Kindle, Surface Pro 3
How large is your Calibre library?

This is exactly my line of reasoning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza_Cant_Read View Post
56,000 items maybe in US Public Domain. I would likely be satisfied with *only* those books to read. There is such an awesome amount of material before we die let alone TV and soon VR content. Makes me giddy

I want it all simply because I can have it all. Why not? Sure, the destruction of society is unlikely but what about destitution? That isn't too far off the charts of possibility. There is nothing wrong of having 'too much' of an infinite resource but too little of the same is borderline irresponsibility.

I may have brought that too far. But like I said... thinking about it makes me giddy!
calibrejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 01:55 AM   #39
sydmalicious
Cantankerous Contrarian
sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MapleRead, iPad Pro 12.9" 2018, iPhone 12 Pro, Kobo Forma 32gb
3680. I can't really tell how many gigs are stored where; I have them ins several places on my HDD and Dropbox. I usually save the epubs only to one directory, and then I have a whole Books for iPad folder in my Documents folder on my Mac.

I have gotten some through Gutenberg, this free site for math, tech, and economics books call BookBoon, some from PacktPub free learning, some from GitBook. some from B&N, some from Amazon, Kindle Unlimited, and others.

I've honestly stopped collecting as many because I haven't been reading as much as I'd like which is why I picked up a Kindle Paperwhite. The iPad is good insofar as the fiddliness of the software settings, but I keep getting distracted. So I picked up the PW4 in hopes to cure my lack of reading. It is easier to plop in a small bag and take it to doctor's appointments, and other travel.
sydmalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 04:01 AM   #40
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibrejunkie View Post
Just curious, how many books do you guys have in your libraries?
4,548 entries. Not all of those entries have actual books. Some are placeholders. About 3,738 are books that I've bought, the others are freebies or public domain or placeholders. I've read 3,199 of them.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 08:03 AM   #41
Loz123
Loz123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
A couple hundred "normal" books.

Fanfics (each in separate library)
  • ~6,000 FF.net (unique)
  • ~5,500 AO3 (~2,800 deduplicated but I keep old versions in case I need to recover sync and annotation info from Marvin)
  • ~2,000 (iirc) Hawthorn & Vine (unique)

My manga collection is quite sizeable but is organized through folder structure.
I'm currently wading into the world of getting fanfic into my Calibre library and onto my Kindle. I'd be really keen to know your process, as I'm wondering if there's a more efficient way then I've been doing it! A couple of my go-to sites for Buffy fic thankfully have epub download options, but others don't... I just went through one such archive and individually saved whole stories as HTML files, then converted to mobi in Calibre, then realized they didn't display properly on my Kindle so went back and recovered to azw3. Do you have a similar approach? Or am I missing something?
Loz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 09:49 AM   #42
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loz123 View Post
I'm currently wading into the world of getting fanfic into my Calibre library and onto my Kindle. I'd be really keen to know your process, as I'm wondering if there's a more efficient way then I've been doing it! A couple of my go-to sites for Buffy fic thankfully have epub download options, but others don't... I just went through one such archive and individually saved whole stories as HTML files, then converted to mobi in Calibre, then realized they didn't display properly on my Kindle so went back and recovered to azw3. Do you have a similar approach? Or am I missing something?
AO3 has built-in epub download which is why it's my go-to at the moment.

There's also this:
FanFicFare Plugin

Thus far, I haven't really gone to archives that are unsupported by FFF.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 12:17 PM   #43
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Pop_Os!, Jutoh, Kobo Forma
Quote:
I just went through one such archive and individually saved whole stories as HTML files, then converted to mobi in Calibre, then realized they didn't display properly on my Kindle so went back and recovered to azw3. Do you have a similar approach? Or am I missing something?
I have about 33,000 items, very heavy on "pulp and prior" short pieces of the mystery or science fiction variety. I haven't kept track, but a large proportion came in as text/rtf files or saved htmls. Even great resources like Gutenberg and Roy Glashan's Library that do offer epubs often have very poor files from an e-reader device standpoint...they look like what I'd have if I just hit "convert" with a text file.

So I've learned to edit. With an arsenal of saved searches and my own css files, its amazing what you can do in just a few minutes. When I started editing, I might spend a day or two on some rocky file...after the learning curve, the same result can be had in 10 or 20 minutes. Calibre Rocks!

New purchased books I usually edit gently. Why do publishers try and make an e-book look like the paper version? I just can't read a quote in 7 point type.

I store everything as epub. I have Kindles, and recently, a Kobo Forma. I just convert as I want to read a piece....azw3 for the Kindle.
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:55 AM   #44
BigGeeNotts
BigGeeNotts began at the beginning.

Device: iPAD 10th Gen, Kindle Oasis
My Library at the moment is only at 1029, only about half of them are ebooks from humble bundles that I've got over time.

Some of them are placeholders for my real books that go on an actual shelf. Others are placeholders for books my dad has read so when I'm about and see a book that I'll think he will like, I can open my pdf calibre catalogue and see if he has read it already.

Tempted to start getting my fav fanfics downloaded but am pretty useless in making good covers for them and really hate the generic calibre ones so if anyone can help with that be great
BigGeeNotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:36 PM   #45
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGeeNotts View Post
Tempted to start getting my fav fanfics downloaded but am pretty useless in making good covers for them and really hate the generic calibre ones so if anyone can help with that be great
Once you grab up your fan fiction using the FanFicFare Plugin creating covers for them should be easy enough. Between the Generate Cover Plugin and this thread on Custom Covers (check out all links in the first post) you will be well on your way to quickly creating decent covers for all your fan fiction.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, library size