Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 04-11-2017, 04:45 PM   #1
Just some guy
Enthusiast
Just some guy began at the beginning.

Device: none
Can't add cover in Calibre -- get "svg-error" (the property 'svg' should be declared)

When I add a cover to my ePub file, I get this Validator error:

"ERROR: OEBPS/titlepage.xhtml -- The property 'svg' should be declared in the OPF file."

Could anyone please tell me how I fix this?

EDIT: I've tried adding the cover in the two ways:

1) Using Calibre's "Add cover" option.
2) Adding the image as a New File, and then adding that file as a cover.

But both ways result in the same error. Am I missing a third way?

Last edited by Just some guy; 04-11-2017 at 05:12 PM.
Just some guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 05:35 PM   #2
Just some guy
Enthusiast

OK, inspired by an old post by theducks, I tried "Add cover" in Sigil instead, and now it works!
Advert
Old 04-11-2017, 05:58 PM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Would I be right in thinking this was an EPUB3 rather than an EPUB2? The cover page you added via calibre probably contained an image wrapped in an <svg> tag.

For EPUB3s, EpubCheck will show an error if the OPF manifest item for an XHTML file containing an <svg> tag doesn't have a properties="svg" attribute e.g.
Code:
<item href="text/titlepage.xhtml" id="titlepage" media-type="application/xhtml+xml" properties="svg"/>
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:09 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just some guy View Post
OK, inspired by an old post by theducks, I tried "Add cover" in Sigil instead, and now it works!
Now that is just strange
Either one should work.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:07 PM   #5
Just some guy
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Would I be right in thinking this was an EPUB3 rather than an EPUB2? The cover page you added via calibre probably contained an image wrapped in an <svg> tag.

For EPUB3s, EpubCheck will show an error if the OPF manifest item for an XHTML file containing an <svg> tag doesn't have a properties="svg" attribute e.g.
Code:
<item href="text/titlepage.xhtml" id="titlepage" media-type="application/xhtml+xml" properties="svg"/>
Yes, it is an ePub3 file, and the image was indeed wrapped in an svg tag!

But I assume I would have to open the file as an OPF (whatever that means ) in order to edit it, and I've no idea how to do that.

Anyway, the problem is solved, and my ebook finally looks exactly like it should.

So I'll say everybody for now!
Advert
Old 04-11-2017, 08:33 PM   #6
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just some guy View Post
...But I assume I would have to open the file as an OPF (whatever that means ) in order to edit it, and I've no idea how to do that.
The OPF file is the master control file for your EPUB. You edit it like any other file when you have the EPUB open in the calibre Editor (or the Sigil editor).
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:27 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
The OPF file is the master control file for your EPUB. You edit it like any other file when you have the EPUB open in the calibre Editor (or the Sigil editor).
Edited very carefully.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:54 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
There are tools in Calibre and Sigil that do most of the normal entry tasks. On occasion, you might have to resort to direct edit to cleanup things left behind
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote