Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 10:27 AM   #1
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Lightbulb "Kindlet Jailbreak" needs a new name!

Ok, so I figured that it's time to address this topic once and for all, because there seems to be a lot of confusion, and a lot of unnecessary duplication of the same answers again and again

Many users simply don't seem to get that the (device) jailbreak and the Kindlet jailbreak(KJB) are two different beasts. The reason is pretty clear. So, the term "jailbreak" should probably be reserved exclusively for the device jailbreak, and we'll have to come up with a fancy new name for the KJB.

Here are a couple of proposals, in no particular order:
- Kindlet Enhancer
- Kindlet Liberator (*note: might again cause confusion, because there's also Librerator)
- Kindlet Restrictions Removal Kit
- Kindlet Emancipator
- Kindlet Savior

I don't want to influence you folks, but I like "Kindlet Restrictions Removal Kit" (KRRK) best. But maybe someone has a catchier idea?

I thought about adding a poll to this post, but then only my suggestions would be selectable. So I'll go without a poll.

Thoughts/comments?

PS: Yes, it's only the name that changes (the functionality is practically unchanged -- and keeps working -- since I originally wrote it for the K3). But ideally, all Kindlets that use it should be updated to use that new name, and the relevant threads as well. Luckily, I think that this would mostly affect my own stuff, and KUAL/ the "NiLuJe's snapshots" thread. That's a little bit of work, but worth it in the long run IMO.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:58 AM   #2
nausica
Connoisseur
nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Energy Reader Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
I don't want to influence you folks, but I like "Kindlet Restrictions Removal Kit" (KRRK) best. But maybe someone has a catchier idea?
Why not just "Kindlet Kit"...
Advert
Old 02-02-2014, 11:07 AM   #3
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
What about Kindlet Escalator ?
Old 02-02-2014, 11:11 AM   #4
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nausica View Post
^^^ that ^^^
Old 02-02-2014, 11:12 AM   #5
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
From a strictly 'user' side, something simple like "Kindlet Keys (KK)" or 'Kindlet Skeleton Keys (KSK)" would make intuitive sense to me especially when paired with the Dev's Certificates. Or a shorter version of your favorite- "Kindlet Restrictions Kit (KRK)"?

(on second thought, would KK be confused for Kindle Keyboard? would the context make the difference obvious? when is never? is Batman a transvestite?.... who knows )
Advert
Old 02-02-2014, 11:30 AM   #6
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
+1 for Kindlet Keys
Old 02-02-2014, 11:50 AM   #7
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nausica View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
From a strictly 'user' side, something simple like "Kindlet Keys (KK)" or 'Kindlet Skeleton Keys (KSK)" would make intuitive sense to me especially when paired with the Dev's Certificates. Or a shorter version of your favorite- "Kindlet Restrictions Kit (KRK)"?

(on second thought, would KK be confused for Kindle Keyboard? would the context make the difference obvious?
Thanks for the answers so far!

"Kindlet Kit" doesn't sound bad... but it "loses" the semantics of what the KJB is - namely, *only* a way to escape the standard restrictions imposed on a Kindlet (hence the original name "Kindlet Jailbreak", and the "Kindlet Restrictions Removal Kit"). These make the purpose clear (IMO), and after a second thought, are probably preferrable to "esoteric" names like liberator, escalator, savior etc.

Conceptually, the dev keys and the KJB are two completely separate things. To take KUAL or CM as an example: they require both of these as prerequisites, but both of them can actually "break" independently.

1. The dev keys are required *before* the app is even started, when the Kindle verifies if the app is signed with a key known to the device. If it is not, you get the message "You are not authorized by the developer to execute the app" or something along these lines.
Every time you unregister the Kindle, the dev certificates get deleted, and you'll get this error until you re-install the certs.

2. The "actual" Kindlet jailbreak is required once the app is running and doing stuff that would normally not be allowed for Kindlets. It's the application's responsibility to check whether the KJB is available or not, which is usually done right when the app starts. The KJB will generally get deleted on firmware updates.

As said, these are -- in principle -- two separate issues, which can -- in principle -- be resolved separately. Then again, I also find myself using NiLuJe's all-in-one files whenever I run into one of these problems, because that all-in-one file fixes both of them at the same time.

So, here's yet another proposal:

Let's call it "Mobileread Kindlet Kit" and have it include the MR certificates, and the KJB. So in fact, it would be NiLuJe's all-in-one kit, just with a different name.

From a user perspective, that's only one thing to install when any problem occurs. From a developer perspective (or rather: from the paedagogic perspective for would-be-developers), it would also make sense, because it will encourage people to sign their applications with our well-known "standard" MR keypair, instead of creating their own vanity keys. And, as a side effect, it also mentions that all of this stuff comes from the MR community.

Looks like a win-win-win situation to me

Last edited by ixtab; 02-02-2014 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:59 AM   #8
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
I like simple (even if not 100% accurate!)....MKK looks like a winner to me, I don't think even I could screw it up

Well, I probably could.......
Old 02-02-2014, 12:43 PM   #9
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
I like simple (even if not 100% accurate!)....MKK looks like a winner to me, I don't think even I could screw it up

Well, I probably could.......

Well, screwing up is always easier than one thinks. I don't even count the times anymore when I'm "d'oh! WTF did I....?"

Let's get some more feedback in this thread (plus, I'll personally ask NiLuJe and twobob, just to be sure), but yeah, looks good to me too.

Last edited by ixtab; 02-02-2014 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:17 PM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Bonus point: I first read that as MMK, which somehow instantly expanded into 'Make Mine Kindle!'. (Yes, I haven't slept much ;D).

Kidding aside, yup, definitely a good idea .
Old 02-03-2014, 10:00 PM   #11
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
sounds good mmmmkay...

Old 02-13-2014, 07:45 AM   #12
stepk
Groupie
stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5 B011 5.3.2.1
kindle unchained?
Old 02-13-2014, 08:19 AM   #13
tommytomtom
Enthusiast
tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle Touch
(Personal) Kindlet Allower
Old 02-14-2014, 06:06 AM   #14
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
KindletEnabler
Old 02-14-2014, 06:42 AM   #15
tommytomtom
Enthusiast
tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle Touch
Yes, aditya3098, that's what I was thinking about! I second "KindletEnabler"
Closed Thread