Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-09-2018, 11:18 AM   #1
franknight
franknight began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Searching comments in calibre

I use calibre a lot and keep a fairly large library. I like to have abstracts in the comments for each book. It is tedious to go through each comment to check its integrity. So I decided comments less than 200 characters i would replace. But when I did a search on short comments the answers were erratic. I used the rational expression ^.{0,200}$ in the calibre search comments box from "edit metadata, edit metadata in bulk, search and replace." I replaced the short comment fields with blanks (because I don't know how to mark them otherwise) and many comment fields are not blanked that only hold 10 or 20 characters. Any help? Thanks if you can help me. frank
franknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 11:05 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You'd probably need to get the . to match all characters including newlines, other wise itll only match text whoose first line is less than 200 chars. Prefix the expression with (?s) for that.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2018, 03:35 PM   #3
franknight

Thank you for your quick response. I'm sorry to be such a noob but I just don't understand. It seems to me most all first lines would be less than 200 chars so I would have matched most comment fields. But it didn't - It matched about 3% of them and didn't match some with 20 chars total. Could you feed my feeble mind with a little more info. Many thanks. frank
Old 09-10-2018, 08:47 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by franknight View Post
Thank you for your quick response. I'm sorry to be such a noob but I just don't understand. It seems to me most all first lines would be less than 200 chars so I would have matched most comment fields. But it didn't - It matched about 3% of them and didn't match some with 20 chars total. Could you feed my feeble mind with a little more info. Many thanks. frank
The problem is that your regex is matching against each line in the comment. That is, it is matching against lines of comment that end in a new-line character. If the comment has a single line with less than 200 characters in it, then it will be matched. And from what I have seen, that will be fairly common.

Kovid's suggestion is to change the regex to :

Code:
(?s)^.{0,200}$
But, I'm not sure if that will do exactly what you want. I can't test it at the moment.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:54 AM   #5
franknight

You are exactly right. It does have something to do with new line (carriage returns) but it doesn't act as you would think. You would expect it to delete any comment field with a line (chars between carriage returns) less than 200 chars. It does not. I tried a comment field with six lines of 30 chars each and it did not delete them. But put them together into one 180 char line and it does delete it. I don't understand all this but I don't think I can do what I want unless there is a way to add the number of chars in a line together with all the other lines number of chars in the comment field. Is this possible? Or is there another way or is this just too silly for you to continue with? lol. frank PS: BTW I really enjoyed learning a bit about regular expressions - something I didn't even know existed being a computer engineer from the 60's.
Advert
Old 09-12-2018, 08:02 AM   #6
franknight

Thank you for your 'dotall' suggestion of (?s) -- I have prefixed the expression as you suggest but it makes no difference. If I put one carriage return in a short calibre comment neither expression will catch the comment and delete it. In fact it seems the (?s) doesn't modify the ^.{0,200}$ expression at all. i.e (?s)^.{0,200}$ = ^.{0,200}$ in calibre RE at least in the comment fields. Please ignore my last post when I didn't understand the dotall modifier. Am I nuts here or starting to figure it out? thanks for any reply, frank
Old 09-12-2018, 09:02 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's possible the dot all modifier does not work (it might be overriden) In which case you can do something like

Code:
[^|]
instead of using the dot. As long as your comments dont use the | character it should work.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:12 PM   #8
franknight

Hmmm. That's a bit cryptic. Would that make the expression [^|](?s)^.{0,200}$ My comments don't use the | character to my knowledge.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:58 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Cryptism is regex's raison d'être.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:21 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No, just

Code:
[^|]{0,200}$
Old 09-15-2018, 05:01 AM   #11
franknight

Very clever BeterRed! Thanks Kovid - I'll run some tests.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:16 PM   #12
franknight

I'm still fooling with my little short comment problem. It seems the first suggestion (?s)^.{0,200}$ works the best. After more reading I can't understand why it isn't perfect but it is very good. When I get a match now I prepend the string SHORT COMMENT to the tags column. Works fine and I can then search for them.

BUT the comments that fail prepends the entire comment into the tags field. I can't imagine why. Help?
Old 09-20-2018, 04:41 PM   #13
franknight

I think I understand why the RE (?s)^.{0,200}$ fails sometimes. The following comment fails with this formula: <div><div style="text-align: justify;">1234567890</div></div> This only has 10 digits and the test case in calibre works fine for this short comment but the actual comment fails to be recognized as less than 200 chars because of the punctuation. Is there any way to get calibre or the RE engine to ignore the punctuation?
Old 09-21-2018, 12:31 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No I'm afraid not, the regex engine has no knowledge of html markup
Old 09-21-2018, 02:14 AM   #15
franknight

Ahhhh! THANK YOU Kovid. This may have solved the mystery. Do you think the RE engine is getting hung up on these markup descriptors. And if so is there any way to make my calibre comments have less of them? If not I will need to find another way or just 'thumb' though 60 thousand books. Ughhh! Thanks so much for your patience. I'm sure the average mobileread forum participant has no interest in this stuff.

Tags
calibre, comments, rational expressions, search