Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 08-01-2018, 02:49 AM   #1
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Ectaco jetBook Lites (new) $35

Not in retail box ...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ECTACO-jetB...ed1ffc|iid%3A1

I'm happy with my "standard" jetBook (which show up on shopgoodwill.com) from time to time.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 02:55 AM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Formatted ePubs instead of FB2 or Text?

I just recently discovered that the Ectaco jetBook can use embedded fonts in formatted ePubs. What's weird is that I have never seen any review or image with a well-formatted ePub displayed in a jetBook. Do most people read only read text in jetBooks? I see the jetBook Mini will only use FB2 and Text formats. I believe the jetBook Lite is pretty much the same as the jetBook in this regard (that it will display well-formatted ePubs). Is that true?

(This post was meant to be in a different thread, but I guess it doesn't matter.)
Advert
Old 08-01-2018, 05:56 AM   #3
Sarmat89
Evangelist
Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I see they just used text files to convert them to FB2 without any essential formatting like chapter headers and so on. Lazy job.

FB2 is a superior format to EPUB, as it supports metadata like book titles, annotations, author and translator names, original titles, allows you formatting poetry with a proper line wrap, epigraphs, etc.
Sarmat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:11 AM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarmat89 View Post
FB2 is a superior format to EPUB, as it supports metadata like book titles, annotations, author and translator names, original titles, allows you formatting poetry with a proper line wrap, epigraphs, etc.
I converted an ePub to FB2 in Calibre and moved it to the jetBook, but it came out basically looking like text (no embedded font, quoted text not inset etc.). It did retain italics, but that seems to be the main difference between Text and FB2 on the jetBook. Did I do something wrong?

I've attached four images comparing the two formats. I thought FB2 would retain more detail, so maybe I screwed something up in the conversion process?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180801_081528.jpg
Views:	687
Size:	620.6 KB
ID:	165359   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180801_081600.jpg
Views:	665
Size:	665.6 KB
ID:	165360   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180801_081633.jpg
Views:	685
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	165361   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180801_081646.jpg
Views:	674
Size:	732.9 KB
ID:	165362  

Last edited by rcentros; 08-01-2018 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:44 AM   #5
Sarmat89
Evangelist
Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It depends on the conversion settings. The proper way to format chapters in FB2 is like this:

Code:
<p>....</p>
</section>
<section>
<title>
<p>CHAPTER 22</p>
</title>
<p>Chapter text...</p>
Try formatting a header in the resulting FB2 like this, and see if it will be formatted properly and appear in the TOC.
Advert
Old 08-01-2018, 03:58 PM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
It depends on the conversion settings. The proper way to format chapters in FB2 is like this:

Code:
<p>....</p>
</section>
<section>
<title>
<p>CHAPTER 22</p>
</title>
<p>Chapter text...</p>
Try formatting a header in the resulting FB2 like this, and see if it will be formatted properly and appear in the TOC.
I'm not sure how to implement this (my Calibre experience is extremely limited). Will this retain embedded fonts?
Old 08-02-2018, 09:31 AM   #7
Sarmat89
Evangelist

No, FB2 doesn't support embedded fonts.

You can right-click the book in Calibre, "Open Folder", then open the FB2 file with a text editor, then choose a chapter and see if its header is formatted properly. Add the missing tags as needed, and see how it looks on the device.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:39 AM   #8
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Man, I always wanted one of these back in the day. Love the idea of replaceable batteries.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:07 PM   #9
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
I see they just used text files to convert them to FB2 without any essential formatting like chapter headers and so on. Lazy job.

Download Three Men in a Boat it shows the capabilities of the jetbook to display fonts and images.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:53 PM   #10
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
Man, I always wanted one of these back in the day. Love the idea of replaceable batteries.
Currently available NOS on Ebay for about $42 including shipping in original packaging but opened, no returns. Another seller has it for about $57 with 30 day return, again with original packaging. Both apparently from a school system that never used them. I saw a claim that the set of batteries will last about 90 hours if you use Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries. NIMH battery charge life not listed.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 11:20 AM   #11
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Mine arrived from the above mentioned ebay source and was basically unopened. Only problem was it has been in storage so long that the batteries were dead and had leaked into the packaging. Batteries not installed in the reader in the package so no damage to the reader. Unit takes 4 AA batteries and the battery bulge and cover makes for a good handle for holding the reader with the left hand. Listed as working with Alkaline and NIMH batteries and mine is working with the Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries. The Ectaco is still listed as available on their web site for $99 and they list a firmware update available for download.

Controls and screen are identical with the Aluratek LCD screen reader but the firmware is different. Also the included book content is different and the Ectaco content appears to be aimed more at a school student environment. The Aluratek content is all public domain classic books. Neither is fast responding by current ebook reader standards as the cpu is about 1/5 the clock speed of current readers. Design is old enough so both use the USB generation 1 USB Mini connector.

Last edited by Richwood; 02-19-2020 at 11:41 AM.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote