Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-18-2018, 04:04 PM   #391
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
A barrel maker going into battle

BR
Don't laugh, I was wondering....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Don't know why I even look at this thread as most of the tech stuff is over my head, but I can answer this non-tech question
Sheldon Cooper is a character on the TV sitcom Big Bang Theory.
AH. That 'splains why I don't know it/him. Thx!

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:26 PM   #392
trichobezoar
Riding Against the Wind
trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 10.1 & Kindle Touch
We've been having problems with internet access the past few days. If I'm MIA for a day or so it's 'cause of the weather possibly. My roommate just told me it's a satellite connection and finicky when it comes to rain.
trichobezoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2018, 11:42 PM   #393
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
After last months Windows 10 update now another program I use refuses to launch. Compatibility options does nothing. Uninstall/Reinstall still Nothing. Grrrr ...

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
When I upgraded to Windows 10 64bit my favorite CD burning software, Burrrn, stopped working. It turns out there was suddenly an incompatibility between it and a few other programs I have (including VLC). It needed "wnaspi32.dll." This is part of a Nero package that I have but don't use much.

I pasted into a folder that I use to keep install packages. I turn it on and off as needed.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:51 AM   #394
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
When I upgraded to Windows 10 64bit my favorite CD burning software, Burrrn, stopped working. It turns out there was suddenly an incompatibility between it and a few other programs I have (including VLC). It needed "wnaspi32.dll." This is part of a Nero package that I have but don't use much.

I pasted into a folder that I use to keep install packages. I turn it on and off as needed.
Cro?

No joy even in compatibility mode? I've had to run any number of old faves that way...???

Hitch
Old 09-21-2018, 08:41 AM   #395
nferia
Freakishly Shy
nferia began at the beginning.

Device: samsung galaxy lite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
What's a Sheldon Cooper?

Hitch
He is a very smart sitcom character, that everyone thinks has Asperger's syndrome, (like me), lol but, when things are not working out right, he goes a wee cra cra from time to time.... like me.
nferia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2018, 10:01 AM   #396
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nferia View Post
He is a very smart sitcom character, that everyone thinks has Asperger's syndrome, (like me), lol but, when things are not working out right, he goes a wee cra cra from time to time.... like me.
I see. I confess, the last sitcom I watched was MASH. That's a few years ago. They're not really my cuppa. ;-) Thanks for the explanation.

Hitch
Old 09-21-2018, 11:42 AM   #397
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I remember standing in line at midnight on release night of one of the HP books (I forget which one) and being very disgruntled at Rawling's decision to not release them in e-book format. [Truncated].
Rowling eventually recanted, and they are available as eBooks now. She had the notion that they were children's books, and kids needed paper volumes. She missed the fact that a good chunk of the market were grownups, not kids, and wouldn't have an issue dealing with eBooks. (For that matter, neither would the kids...)

I saw a set of Potter eBooks from well before Rowling decided to release eBook versions. Someone had laboriously scanned all of the books, run OCR on the scans to get text, proofread, then added the markup needed for a proper eBook. It was an enormous amount of work, and I was awestruck. I was pleased that Rowling finally decided to license official versions. It says a lot about Potter fandom that someone would make the effort to produce good eBook versions from scans of the hardcopy.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:56 AM   #398
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trichobezoar View Post
I don't enjoy reading as much, I should say. I still read for enjoyment from time to time (Harry Potter)... I think part of the enjoyment (back then) was posting on a Harry Potter fan site, to be honest with you. We were all nerds and that was ok. lol The nerdier we were, the better.
I've always read anything that didn't read me first, and some that did. I understand the joy of posting to fan sites, but most of what I read isn't that sort of material.

Quote:
The simplicity of having one dedicated ereader helped...
Anything that reduces friction is good.

Quote:
I have to pick a few ereaders--the ones I enjoy using the most--and make a conscious effort to have them near me and in sync. That shouldn't be too difficult; 'just have to make it a priority.
Agreed. I use Android devices, and have several on which I can read eBooks. I use FBReader on all of them to not have to care about the eBooks formats. One is the main device, but I keep a subset of my collection on the others too. Since I use Calibre to maintain the eBook library, it's just a matter of connecting the devices when I do Calibre updates and want to add books to/remove books from the devices in question. Since the OS and reader program don't change, only the form factor differs, It's not a problem

Quote:
Thank you for commenting.
You're welcome.
______
Dennis
Old 09-21-2018, 11:58 AM   #399
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
After last months Windows 10 update now another program I use refuses to launch. Compatibility options does nothing. Uninstall/Reinstall still Nothing. Grrrr ...
Which program? It's possible something else might do the job.
______
Dennis
Old 09-29-2018, 08:32 AM   #400
trichobezoar
Riding Against the Wind
trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 10.1 & Kindle Touch
To purchase or not to purchase Object Desktop: that is the question: whether 'tis nobler in mind to keep one's word and purchase a Mathway.com's premium membership or to delight in the configuration of a Windows desktop at last... at long last. I have waited far too long for such a venture and to think that it is near. No more dreadful destop, no more boring icons and static wallpaper... Next month perhaps.
trichobezoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:25 AM   #401
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trichobezoar View Post
To purchase or not to purchase Object Desktop: that is the question: whether 'tis nobler in mind to keep one's word and purchase a Mathway.com's premium membership or to delight in the configuration of a Windows desktop at last... at long last. I have waited far too long for such a venture and to think that it is near. No more dreadful destop, no more boring icons and static wallpaper... Next month perhaps.
I ran Stardock's Window Blinds back in the day. If eye candy is what you want, they do it well. These days I'm less concerned with eye candy. The desktop is minimal and static, with the intent that what I normally need to run or access is a double click away.
______
Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Win10_desktop.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	311.7 KB
ID:	166572  
Old 09-29-2018, 09:51 AM   #402
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
My latest beef with Windows is inability to single-thread a queue of file transfers. Do any of the desktop enhancement products support that?
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:57 AM   #403
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
My latest beef with Windows is inability to single-thread a queue of file transfers. Do any of the desktop enhancement products support that?
Which version of Windows, and why do you need to do that?

I don't believe any of the the desktop enhancers do that, as it isn't their job.

There are alternative file copy programs that may. I used to run a freeware product called Teracopy which was faster than Windows native file copies, but Win10 is now as fast, and I dropped it.
______
Dennis
Old 09-29-2018, 11:20 AM   #404
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
I ran Stardock's Window Blinds back in the day. If eye candy is what you want, they do it well. These days I'm less concerned with eye candy. The desktop is minimal and static, with the intent that what I normally need to run or access is a double click away.
______
Dennis
I confess that that's lovely, but it would be very hard for me to use. :-)

Hitch
Old 09-29-2018, 11:44 AM   #405
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I confess that that's lovely, but it would be very hard for me to use. :-)
Er, why? The wallpaper is a shot from Fritz Lang's Metropolis. The icon columns are the standard Windows icons plus desktop folder in the left, icons far all drives in the middle, and some miscellaneous icons in the right. I also have the open source Rocket Dock which adds a Mac like dock, but that's set to autohide on the right edge.

(If I am missing the obvious, I claim disrupted sleep cycle. The SO seems have have gotten a cold I had last week in a mild form which is rather worse for her, and leads to her unintentionally waking me in the wee hours of the morning.)

Of course, having a 23" flat screen monitor in 1920x1080 mode helps. There's no such thing as enough screen real estate. If I had the room, I'd have two of them.
______
Dennis