Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-16-2018, 06:31 AM   #1
Janota
Janota began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Question No SD card, No fun ?

I have been using e-readers since 2012, all 4 of them where kobos.
As time passed by they become more and more reliable, still from time to time (specially if i pack them into a backpack and take them out) the e-reader will freeze and nothing but a hard format will bring them back to life.

In the past this was not problematic for me, because i kept all my books in a SD card, after the format i could continue reading.
Now that kobos have no SD slots, i dont feel comfortable getting a kobo... knowing that at some point i will be in the middle of nowhere, without a PC or mobile internet access, the device will freeze and demand a format.

As i see it without a SD card... i will not be able to load books into the device, and i would only be able to read after gaining access to technology again.<<

So i am looking for an e-reader that has an SD slot, blue light filter and a good (or several monolingual dictionary.

Or for someone to show me a way to load books from my cellphone into a Kobo Clara HD or something.

Thanks for your time guys & gals !
Have a great day =)
Janota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:13 AM   #2
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
What model is your cellphone?
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:16 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
It's strange. In all the years I've owned Kobo's I've never had a freezing issue that requires a factory reset to recover from.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:48 PM   #4
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
I've been happy with my various Onyx devices.
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:55 PM   #5
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
My Kobo Aura One LE crashed(?) while in sleep mode overnight. The when I flipped open the case cover, the display was showing the nickle home screen, frozen.

After pressing the on/off button nothing happened; then pressing the button several times, the words "powered off" appeared but with the home screen displayed. I then leaned(?) on the on/off button until the blue indicator light started to blink.

Did not seem to need a reset but felt that it would be wise to do factory reset & reload my books. I does sound like this should be expected to happen occasionally.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 05:33 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
It is wise to power down to do a reboot from time to time, but factory reset is overkill.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:20 AM   #7
Marinolino
Groupie
Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura-One (using KOReader app), Boox Note-3, iPad(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janota View Post

Or for someone to show me a way to load books from my cellphone into a Kobo Clara HD or something.

Thanks for your time guys & gals !
Have a great day =)
You could try some cheaper wi-fi memory stick, wi-fi HDD, wi-fi HDD enclosure etc.

e.g. I can connect Kobo Aura One or Kindle DX to USB port on my wi-fi HDD enclosure, and then exchange files wirelessly between enclosure (i.e. its HDD), attached e-ink reader and any Tablet/Phone with installed ios/android app for my enclosure.

So, no need for internet connection, PC or external wireless network, because HDD enclosure creates its own network.

I have not been using it, but, Koreader is capable of transferring the files between Koreader devices on the same network, so, installing the Koreader on e-ink reader and phone, using wi-fi network of some HDD enclosure/stick, etc. could be a viable solution too.

It should also be possible to simply use e-ink reader's internet browser to transfer the files wirelessly between tablet/phone and e-ink reader, using wi-fi network of HDD enclosure, but without connecting them via USB beforehand and without using HDD's app for tablet/phone, but by using any app on tablet/phone (pdf/e-book/file manager etc.) with wi-fi sharing option.

Last edited by Marinolino; 08-17-2018 at 01:02 AM.
Marinolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:56 AM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Another thing you can do is replace the SD card that is inside with a larger one and hold all the books you need. There has been several threads here about how to do that.

Dale
Old 08-17-2018, 01:03 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
If the phone supports it, a USB OTG adapter might work. I haven't tried it, but I'm sure someone in the Kobo forum has mentioned using one successfully.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:27 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If the phone supports it, a USB OTG adapter might work. I haven't tried it, but I'm sure someone in the Kobo forum has mentioned using one successfully.
Hm, I've never tried connecting my Kobo to my phone (though I do connect our Garmin GPS device to it). That would be a nice backup indeed.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:35 AM   #11
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
I've never had to factory reset my Glo HD or my Clara HD, they've been the most reliable of my various devices. Even if your Kobo should freeze, long pressing the power button should reawaken it.
If I were you I'd take a chance with another Kobo, if you like them so much.
If you want a reader with a micro-SD card slot, you can go for a Pocketbook device. The Touch HD 2 (6 inches) and the Inkpad 3 (7.8 inches) have a smartlight feature.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:25 PM   #12
Janota

@Ghitulescu : my current phone - Altice S40 (Android 7.0). but if its possible to do it with other OS... i should not be a problem to me

@sealbeater : thanks, i will kinda overlooked them, will take a look at them !

@crane3 : i agree with @DaleDe, those hick-ups might happen from time to time. I dont know if a factory reset will prevent them from happening as often as they "normally" do

@Marinolino / @davidfor : thanks ! most viable Kobo solutions that i came across so far, i will gladly look into them

@Dalede: by replacing the card that is inside... im figuring that card will still be formated if i need to do a factory reset. Unless if maybe i could create a partition in that card... but i dont know much about it. Side question, by opening the device and changing the card would i would be violating the warranty, right ?

@LucyOne - Mby its me... but it happened many times to me that by pressing the power button for 10 secs (if i recall it correctly) would not make the devices reactive again. Glad to hear that your experience has been better then mine =)
I have looked into pocketbooks. I almost bought the Touch HD2 before making this post. The "Touch Lux 4" that is comming out next week (according to Goodereader) is defenitelly in my radar aswell. The Inkpad 3 looks awesome. But for now think i will bet on a 6inch... that i will carry around, and later i will grab a bigger ereader to use only while at home. My last ereader had 6,8... the extra size is something i rly apreciate

thank you all for the help =)
Old 08-17-2018, 01:55 PM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
@Dalede: by replacing the card that is inside... im figuring that card will still be formated if i need to do a factory reset. Unless if maybe i could create a partition in that card... but i dont know much about it. Side question, by opening the device and changing the card would i would be violating the warranty, right ?
The card has to contain the full OS just like the one it replaces. The method of getting that on the card in the first place is in other threads. Yes, it is likely to void the warranty but you can keep the old card and put it back in if you are worried about this. I believe the device can be opened without too much trouble and won't, in a of itself, void the warranty. Many have found that with more space for books there no need for another card. It is also worth exploring OTG to backup things.

Dale
Old 08-21-2018, 02:11 PM   #14
Janota

@DaleDe - My concern is not related with the lack of space, just with having my books in the same place as the Operating System... because if the Operating System crashes and i have to do a system format... all my books will "disappear", leaving me unable to read until i am able to reload them into the device.
A bit busy atm, but will definitely check the OTG to back things up once i got some time for it ^^

thanks for the help

Tags
blue light filter, dictionary, new ereaders, sd card