Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-06-2018, 01:37 PM   #1
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
Does firmware update 5.9.6 survive jailbreak?

I'm not brave enough to try.
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:50 PM   #2
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Yes, on the KOA2. I was just brave (or fool) enough to try it! I saw the "bridge" indication as the new firmware was loading.

Edit: Just reinstalled mr package installer. Seems to work as before!

Last edited by downeaster59; 06-06-2018 at 01:54 PM.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 02:11 PM   #3
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
Yes, on the KOA2. I was just brave (or fool) enough to try it! I saw the "bridge" indication as the new firmware was loading.

Edit: Just reinstalled mr package installer. Seems to work as before!
Thank you! And of course I meant does the jailbreak survive.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:17 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscris View Post
Thank you! And of course I meant does the jailbreak survive.
The answer was: Yes.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 02:53 PM   #5
jscris
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The answer was: Yes.
The subject line was wrong.

Updated to new firmware, reinstalled mrpi, python, KUAL, screensavers. KUAL ont menu shows all entries and recognizes KOA2. More than one font can be placed in the Fonts folder and the new firmware will show one Custom Font entry in the Aa menu, but allows you to choose which of the user-installed fonts is to be used. I only tried two, so don't know if there's a limit. Bolding of the user-installed font seems to work.
Old 06-06-2018, 03:30 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Huh. Is hell freezing over or is that Amazon implementing a 10 year-old user request?

The potentially crashiest of them all, to boot.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-06-2018 at 03:49 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 04:13 PM   #7
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Huh. Is hell freezing over or is that Amazon implementing a 10 year-old user request?

After the zipSlip vulnerability report, I was hoping they would allow us to upload fonds in .zip format, and we can use that to jailbreak, but no, it says there right in plain text

Quote:
1. If the font is packaged into a compressed file (such as a ZIP file), uncompress the files using your favorite file extracting program
BOOO!
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:58 PM   #8
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
While fixing up my margins in the jars, I found this little gem I'm 99% sure I haven't noticed before...

Future plans?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-06-06 at 7.56.16 PM.png
Views:	521
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	164337  

Last edited by 7hir7een; 06-06-2018 at 09:27 PM.
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:42 PM   #9
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7hir7een View Post
While fixing up my margins in the jars, I found this little gem I'm 99% sure I haven't noticed before...

Future plans?
No, it was available all the way back in 5.7.4 and newer, I looked at the code and it appears to just be the code that reads from "Todo" servers and fills out the screensaver folder.

So, maybe they meant to, but its been there for Years.

Last edited by coplate; 06-06-2018 at 08:53 PM.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:00 PM   #10
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
Ah, guess I was just looking for new things what with the font update. Thanks for confirming!
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:35 PM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yeah, that vaguely rings a bell, so it may have been here for quite a while (since SO, I'd wager).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:42 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7hir7een View Post

Future plans?
That loads Amazon's custom, special offer, screen savers.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:03 PM   #13
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post

It looks like they're validating the font at least to some degree and renaming it out of the way if it looks like it might crash something. (Though I do wonder if one jailbreak route might now be to look at the FreeType git commit logs and write a font that exploits one of the extremely numerous overflows and fuzz-detected problems found in FreeType, then load it using this new mechanism before they release a new firmware using a FreeType new enough to contain that commit. Is whatever they're using to detect problematic fonts *that* good, I wonder? )
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:23 PM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Didn't we have a font file based jail break in the past?
It would have been prior to 2012 when I joined, but still being mentioned from time to time back then.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:17 AM   #15
Solus
Solus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle KOA2
Did you get the screensavers to work on KOA2 somehow? If so, which BIN file did you use?

Or is this on another device?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscris View Post
...Updated to new firmware, reinstalled mrpi, python, KUAL, screensavers. KUAL ont menu shows all entries and recognizes KOA2. ...
Solus is offline   Reply With Quote