Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-22-2009, 12:06 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Three Ways to not use promotional ebooks

I wasn't going to post this, but today I received an email promotion that was wrong on so many levels that I can't help but respond. And before you ask, yes, I did send emails to the publishers several weeks ago. I'm not blindsiding them.

I'm on a lot of mailing lists. In fact, I'm on most of the email lists for Macmillan, so I get regular emails with details about their current promotions. In spite of what has been said about how Macmillan values ebooks, they are rarely used to promote a book. Here are 3 examples.

Picador started a new book club on Twitter a few weeks back. To promote the club they decided to release copies of each book before it is discussed. The only problem with this is that they have released 20 paper copies of each title. No ebooks have been given away. But that's okay. It's not like the average Twitter user is fairly tech savvy. And just forget about the fact that there are Twitter users all around the globe; I hope Picador realizes that they wrote off 95% of the world's poplulation as potential customers. What's worst is that only half the titles to be discussed were available as ebook when the club started.

For at least the past two months Minotaur Books has been giving away a different free title each week. Like Picador, they are only giving away paper copies. Due to shipping constraints the contest is of course limited to the US. Why have you given up on the rest of the world as potential customers? If you gave away ebooks, anyone could download it.

And this brings me to the email I received today. In order to promote John Hart's latest work, St Martin's Press is giving away his first novel as an ebook. I thought this was great, then I learned that it will _only_ be available as a PDF. And you can _only_ download it after giving your mailing address, email address, and agree to the fact that they can send you promotional material (aka spam) in the future. Why do they need my email address? They need my mailing address?!? For an ebook? In what universe does giving away an ebook require a mailing address? The only type of person I know that asks for that much information is a spammer. Okay, I know they're not spammers. But can we really be certain of that?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:12 PM   #2
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I wasn't going to post this, but today I received an email promotion that was wrong on so many levels that I can't help but respond. And before you ask, yes, I did send emails to the publishers several weeks ago. I'm not blindsiding them.

I'm on a lot of mailing lists. In fact, I'm on most of the email lists for Macmillan, so I get regular emails with details about their current promotions. In spite of what has been said about how Macmillan values ebooks, they are rarely used to promote a book. Here are 3 examples.

Picador started a new book club on Twitter a few weeks back. To promote the club they decided to release copies of each book before it is discussed. The only problem with this is that they are releasing 20 paper copies. No ebooks have been given away. But that's okay. It's not like the average Twitter user is fairly tech savvy, and could probably handle an ebook. And just forget about the fact that there are Twitter users all around the globe. I hope Picador realizes that they wrote off 95% of the world's poplulation as potential customers. What's worst is that only half the titles to be discussed were available as ebook when the club started.

For at least the past two months Minotaur Books has been giving away a different free title each week. Like Picador, they are only giving away paper copies. Due to shipping constraints the contest is of course limited to the US. Why have you given up on the rest of the world as potential customers? If you gave away ebooks, anyone could download it.

And this brings me to the email I received today. In order to promote his latest work, St Martin's Press is giving away John Hart's first novel as an ebook. I thought this was great, then I learned that it will _only_ be available as a PDF. And you can only download it after giving your mailing address, email address, and agree to the fact that they can send you promotional material (aka spam) in the future. Why do they need my email address? They need my mailing address?!? For an ebook? In what universe does giving away an ebook require a mailing address? The only type of person I know that asks for that much information is a spammer. Okay, I know they're not spammers. But can we really be certain of that?
I fear this is only going to happen more and more often as the people running these campaigns seem to be clueless about anything whatsoever to do with the internet. They constantly try to fit old models into new forms, and it just doesn't work.

I wish these companies would hire somebody who has a clue about what's happening out there.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2009, 12:15 PM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I stopped downloading every book that comes down the pike, just because of it being free - with lots of SPAM strings attached. It's worth paying for the book if I can get it without a thousand future emails about it.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:22 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've stopped downloading these free "eBooks" that are in PDF. They don't do anything for me. To convert them is more hassle then it is worth. If the book does seem interesting to me, I might email the publisher or author if there is an address available to tell them of their folly. It doesn't always work. But in sometimes it does. But more often then not it doesn't.

Just because it's free doesn't mean you have to have it.

When I see posts on MR about free eBooks and find out it's a PDF, I think to myself.. F@cking hell! Another useless PDF.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:32 PM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm OK with the PDF's because I enjoy reading on my PC. If the download doesn't come with lots of advertising headers and footers, it might be worth a quick re-format, but anything requiring practically re-typing the blooming thing just isn't worth it. There are plenty of other nicely formatted books out there to be read.
Advert
Old 04-22-2009, 12:39 PM   #6
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I'm OK with the PDF's because I enjoy reading on my PC.
Your eyes!!!1!one

Since we're talking about freebies, I guesss we shouldn't complain. And I understand why companies limit their promotions to the US... That's where their costumers are.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:47 PM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
Your eyes!!!1!one

Since we're talking about freebies, I guesss we shouldn't complain. And I understand why companies limit their promotions to the US... That's where their costumers are.

I've spent a lot of time learning how not to hurt my eyes while reading on the PC. But I've got a bit of eyestrain going right now, however, from playing Solitaire and watching TV a lot lately.

Speaking of freebies, go to the Writer's Corner and read Moejoe's Sleeping Dogs. It's 6 pages after skipping the cover and stuff, can be read in 5 mins. It's the feel-good short story of the year!
Old 04-23-2009, 01:04 AM   #8
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Quote:
And this brings me to the email I received today. In order to promote John Hart's latest work, St Martin's Press is giving away his first novel as an ebook. I thought this was great, then I learned that it will _only_ be available as a PDF. And you can _only_ download it after giving your mailing address, email address, and agree to the fact that they can send you promotional material (aka spam) in the future. Why do they need my email address? They need my mailing address?!? For an ebook? In what universe does giving away an ebook require a mailing address? The only type of person I know that asks for that much information is a spammer. Okay, I know they're not spammers. But can we really be certain of that?
This wont solve the problem of it being in PDF but........

Since they have your email anyway, why not just give a bogus mailing address if you want the book? Get the book, no spam...half the problem solved.

Cheers,
PKFFW
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:58 AM   #9
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post

Gosh! I didn't know I'd moved! I'd better tell me wife or she'll wonder where I am!

Regards, Alex
(who used to live in Launceston, Tasmania, before he was moved to the US)
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:07 AM   #10
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I will never enjoy reading off a computer screen (until they are small, low battery usage, and eink) and I will never enjoy reading pdfs (until they are not pdfs).

You could only entice me to read a free pdf when it comes with a free fried banana and peanut butter sandwich *

Donn

* I was channeling Elvis
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:12 AM   #11
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
Quote:
And you can _only_ download it after giving your mailing address, email address, and agree to the fact that they can send you promotional material (aka spam) in the future. Why do they need my email address? They need my mailing address?!? For an ebook? In what universe does giving away an ebook require a mailing address? The only type of person I know that asks for that much information is a spammer. Okay, I know they're not spammers. But can we really be certain of that?
Due to CAN-SPAM act there must be an easy way to unsubscribe from their mailings. You won't get flooded with promotional emails.

This is great to hear that actually some publishers think out their promotions. Email marketing is the most effective tool of promotion. (It's like $47 from every $1 invested in it.)

Not capturing prospects' emails is just plain stupid.
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:19 AM   #12
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
And you can _only_ download it after giving your mailing address, email address, and agree to the fact that they can send you promotional material (aka spam) in the future. Why do they need my email address? They need my mailing address?!? For an ebook? In what universe does giving away an ebook require a mailing address? The only type of person I know that asks for that much information is a spammer. Okay, I know they're not spammers. But can we really be certain of that?
Regarding email address: I have a special spam email address I would give in this case.
Snail address, however, I would not give them.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:37 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
PDF is not a good idea to use for a promotional free eBook. All it does is show to us how clueless the publishers/authors really are. And then we know the rest of the books in the series are not in eBook form in any way. So why bother? It just makes them look bad which they do.

Either do it right, or not at all. Because you lose more customers by doing it wrong then by not doing it at all.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:26 PM   #14
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
JSWolf, am I correct in assuming your dislike for PDF stems largely (or wholly?) from the fact that the paper size is generally incorrectly set either to letter size or to whatever size the physical book uses? Resulting in too small to read and difficult to aesthetically reflow garbage on most second generation ePaper based devices?
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:32 AM   #15
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
JSWolf, am I correct in assuming your dislike for PDF stems largely (or wholly?) from the fact that the paper size is generally incorrectly set either to letter size or to whatever size the physical book uses? Resulting in too small to read and difficult to aesthetically reflow garbage on most second generation ePaper based devices?
Exactly.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote