Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-20-2017, 01:43 PM   #1
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Pandora and other radio apps.

I thought I would start this thread to see how many people use radio apps and for any questions or comments related to them.

I like Pandora.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 02:57 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

I like Pandora Plus a lot. I have the $4.99 Plus plan. The custom radio station idea is very good for my listening preferences.

Pandora Free is okay, but somewhat limited in station customizations. There are commercials, but they are short (about 15 seconds in length) and you only get one commercial for every 5 or 6 songs.

I cannot get Amazon Unlimited Music Individual plan to play on my Echo or Dot, but it works on my iPad, iPhone, and FireTV. No play equals me saying "no pay", so I cancelled it before the trial expired. Even Amazon CS couldn't figure out how to make it work on my Echo or Dot.

Amazon Prime Music is okay, but it doesn't offer much and it repeats songs and artists way too often.

Last edited by jswinden; 02-20-2017 at 03:00 PM.
Advert
Old 02-20-2017, 06:18 PM   #3
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I don't like streaming services. I prefer to "own" my music and listen on MP3 players. I find new music from a variety of sources, including the radio programs Echoes (nationally syndicated) and Stars End (WXPN, simulcast over the internet but not available as a recorded podcast, to the best of my knowledge). I listen a lot at my computer, usually on Youtube or from my local collection on my hard drive.

I also pick up "used" CDs and LPs at local thrift shops. I have some software to digitize and restore music from LPs. They usually go for less than a dollar an album.

And, finally, I have found a lot of good music, free for non-commercial use, at netlabels like Kahvi and Jamendo.

Last edited by cromag; 02-20-2017 at 06:21 PM.
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:02 PM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Pandora is losing original content much to my chagrin. More and more, they're playing songs that are NOT the original recordings. The songs are re-recordings and I detest those songs. If I can't hear the original, I don't want to hear it at all. So, I've been leaning heavily on the thumbs down button. One day, I'll go to a station only to find silence

Anyway, for whatever reasons they're doing this (copyright issues, higher fees, etc), I'll have to live with it since I still like the free service.

Mini rant over
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:06 AM   #5
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Pandora is losing original content much to my chagrin. More and more, they're playing songs that are NOT the original recordings. The songs are re-recordings and I detest those songs. If I can't hear the original, I don't want to hear it at all. So, I've been leaning heavily on the thumbs down button. One day, I'll go to a station only to find silence

Anyway, for whatever reasons they're doing this (copyright issues, higher fees, etc), I'll have to live with it since I still like the free service.

Mini rant over
I have noticed mostly "live" albums.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2017, 10:36 AM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:

Mini rant over
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I have noticed mostly "live" albums.
I agree, they play a lot of different recordings of the same song, and many of those are live recordings which IMO tend to be far inferior to the highly controlled and edited studio versions. I like the studio versions much better. Live versions often are crap, and they often change the words around, sometimes just to appeal to a local audience. MEH!!!!! The good news is that I can thumbs down the bad versions without thumbing down the other versions, at least with the $5/mo paid service. The bad news is Pandora seems to find more bad versions to throw my way.

I'm also miffed that I cannot pause a song on one device, say my car radio, then go inside and finish listening to it on another device. Every device has its own play list rather than actually using a single play list that is cloud based. They are a streaming service after all, why can't they manage a single play list for your account in their cloud? D'oh! I swear, even Homer Simpson has more intelligence than most of the high tech firms seem to have these days.

My rant is over now too, for a little while anyway.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:30 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Pandora is losing original content much to my chagrin. More and more, they're playing songs that are NOT the original recordings. The songs are re-recordings and I detest those songs. If I can't hear the original, I don't want to hear it at all.
Agreed. My main listening tastes are classical music, and if I listen to a Mozart piano concerto I want to hear it being played by Mozart, not by some random pianist! It's just not the same when someone else plays it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:39 PM   #8
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
We got a super deal on Sirius (car + streaming) and also have a college student, so got Spotify for $5 a month. I like Spotify best, my husband seems to prefer Sirius. I currently have a free month of Amazon's music unlimited, and it's ok, maybe I am just more used to the Spotify interface. It's really awesome to be able to sit at my computer and use it to play music on my Echo or other blue tooth speaker.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:55 PM   #9
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Air 4
I dropped Pandora when they switched from annual to monthly subscriptions and hugely increased the cost. I currently listen to Slacker Radio which at the $4/month is still a little more expensive than Pandora used to be ($4/mo vs. $36/yr). The curated stations is an appealing feature.
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:13 PM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratinox View Post
I dropped Pandora when they switched from annual to monthly subscriptions and hugely increased the cost. I currently listen to Slacker Radio which at the $4/month is still a little more expensive than Pandora used to be ($4/mo vs. $36/yr). The curated stations is an appealing feature.
The Pandora paid service is currently $5/mo, but it is rather limited. Their premium service will soon be offered at $10/mo. I think it is supposed to be more feature rich like Spotify. So far I'm okay with Pandora at $5/mo, but if I ever decide I need or want a more feature rich service I will likely go with Spotify. The Amazon service was terrible and it would not even play well on my Echo. That is, it would stop and start and often even fail to play altogether. The Amazon bozos were clueless as usual, so I did not renew the free subscription.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:29 PM   #11
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Agreed. My main listening tastes are classical music, and if I listen to a Mozart piano concerto I want to hear it being played by Mozart, not by some random pianist! It's just not the same when someone else plays it.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:13 PM   #12
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Anyone use Google's streaming service that's part of the Play Music app? I've tried it because every Android phone already has Play Music installed. I like it so far, but then I don't use Pandora or Spotify and I haven't listened too much yet.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:23 PM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Anyone use Google's streaming service that's part of the Play Music app? I've tried it because every Android phone already has Play Music installed. I like it so far, but then I don't use Pandora or Spotify and I haven't listened too much yet.
I just finished a free 4-month trial. It worked great on my Android phone, but since it won't work on my Amazon Echo, I won't subscribe to it. I'm going with Spotify because it's a native app on the Echo.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:47 AM   #14
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I have paid subscriptions to Pandora, Google Play Music, and I have Amazon Prime and their included service. (I used to have the paid Amazon music, but I cancelled that when I subscribed to Google Play. I don't know if it is still a separate thing.)

I subscribed to Slacker for a short time, but I didn't see an improvement over Pandora. At the time, Pandora cost less and billed annually, which made it more attractive to me and I cancelled my Slacker subscription.

I used to use the free version of Songza, because I liked their curated playlists; when Google bought them, I switched over. I like that I can upload my own music to Google in addition to their library. When I used iTunes, any CDs that I ripped into iTunes were automatically added to my Google Play library, so it was very easy to add to it. I haven't added anything since I abandoned iTunes, but I would be surprised it wasn't a drag-and-drop type import.

I continue my Pandora subscription because I am an older user and get it at a discount. I can't get the playlists to work properly, but find it works okay for Christmas music and when I'm streaming to a device that does not work with Google Play. Pandora has an app for *everything*.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:15 PM   #15
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
I have paid subscriptions to Pandora, Google Play Music...
What's the benefit of a subscription to Google Play Music as opposed to the freebie version I'm using? (I'm sure Google would be happy to tell me, but I always dismiss those notifications)
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote