Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-24-2014, 01:32 PM   #61
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Is there some advantage of simple telnet over SCP and/or puTTY? Haven't tried tshering's Terminal but would it provide most of what telnet gives you? Maybe we are just talking about a WiFi interface? I prefer Sergey's USBnet as opposed to the WiFi.

I am probably missing something.

Luck;
Ken
My terminal is not very comfortable. Especially, if you want to run several related commands in a row. But it might be handy if you want to run only some one-liners. And of course, using the keyboard of your computer is so much more fun than taping on the touch screen.
A small draw back of Sergey's USBnet under windows is, that you need elevated rights to install the "unrecommended" driver. This is a problem if you have a to use PCs that belong to somebody else.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:58 PM   #62
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Seems not to work on my Aura HD. Installed the usual way and rebooted twice and just to be sure I powered off too. I added frontlightOnLevel=6 in usersettings.txt.

Tapping front light on has no effect. If the light is already on, when returning from nickel, front light off also does not work.

Am I doing something wrong?

Last edited by trekk; 02-24-2014 at 02:00 PM.
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2014, 02:09 PM   #63
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekk View Post
Seems not to work on my Aura HD. Installed the usual way and rebooted twice and just to be sure I powered off too. I added frontlightOnLevel=6 in usersettings.txt.

Tapping front light on has no effect. If the light is already on, when returning from nickel, front light off also does not work.

Am I doing something wrong?
I don't think you can do anything wrong here. Evidently, I did.
Edit: I uploaded a corrected version (to the original post)!

Last edited by tshering; 02-24-2014 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:26 PM   #64
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Perfect! Everything is good now.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:36 PM   #65
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Perfect! Everything is good now.
Thank you for testing. I have to be more careful with things I cannot test myself.
Advert
Old 02-24-2014, 02:55 PM   #66
trekk
Terraner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Thank you for testing. I have to be more careful with things I cannot test myself.
You are welcome! I tested this on my 6" Aura too. The files that worked well on the Aura HD unfortunately showed no effect on the Aura.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:12 PM   #67
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
You are welcome! I tested this on my 6" Aura too. The files that worked well on the Aura HD unfortunately showed no effect on the Aura.
Now I realize that in this post, you confirmed working only for Glo and Aura HD, but not for the 6" Aura. Do you by chance know whether Sergey's Launcher can control the front light of the 6" Aura?
Old 02-24-2014, 03:24 PM   #68
trekk
Terraner

Quote:
Do you by chance know whether Sergey's Launcher can control the front light of the 6" Aura?
Yes, the Launcher can do that.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:36 PM   #69
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Yes, the Launcher can do that.
Thank you again.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:10 AM   #70
tshering
Wizard

Warning: under FW 3.2.0, nickel doesn't seem to run from the menu.
When installing FW 3.2.0, the menu is disabled. For this case I have provided the KoboRoot.tgz in the reinstall folder of KBStartMenu_02.zip (post #1). But DON'T reinstall the menu, if you want to use nickel.

EDIT: I have running nickel now from the menu, but I cannot return to the menu (flipped screen). For the time being I reboot after nickel. If I cannot find a better solution, I will post this (reboot-) solution tomorrow.

Last edited by tshering; 02-25-2014 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:45 PM   #71
tshering
Wizard

I uploaded (to post #1) a new version that can handle FW 3.2.0. Until now it is tested only on Touch.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:59 AM   #72
trekk
Terraner

My main purpose of using your fantastic Kobo Start Menu is starting alternative reading apps such as Cool Reader without having to start nickel first. Do you by any chance have tried to start CR via the menu? Will this work with 3.2.0?
Old 03-01-2014, 05:46 AM   #73
trekk
Terraner

Quote:
USE THIS PACKAGE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

KBStartMenu_03.zip (for FW 3.2.0) replaces previous versions. I tested it on a Touch. If you try it on other models, please let me know how it works.
I tested this on a Glo. The menu installs fine, I can tap various menu entries, which will be highlighted then. Nothing else happens.

As the Pinhole procedure or other ways for a factory reset won't work, I'm kind of stuck now with a useless device. I've bravely taken the risk, but sadly no award for me

Edit: If the device is turned off, it still shows the menu. If you tap the screen, no menu entry will be highlighted. Make sure the device is turned off, hold the light button, while pushing and holding the power button. This will cause a factory reset. In my case the device only resets, while pressing the buttons during a startup. This was a fast debricking!

Last edited by trekk; 03-01-2014 at 06:01 AM.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:12 AM   #74
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
My main purpose of using your fantastic Kobo Start Menu is starting alternative reading apps such as Cool Reader without having to start nickel first. Do you by any chance have tried to start CR via the menu? Will this work with 3.2.0?
Yes, I run CR and KOReader from the menu.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:17 AM   #75
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
I tested this on a Glo. The menu installs fine, I can tap various menu entries, which will be highlighted then. Nothing else happens.
You see me speechless. Edit: After a second thought, I think this might indicate that this failure is not device specific, but that I might have made a mistake when making the final package (after testing!).

Quote:
As the Pinhole procedure or other ways for a factory reset won't work, I'm kind of stuck now with a useless device. I've bravely taken the risk, but sadly no award for me

Edit: If the device is turned off, it still shows the menu. If you tap the screen, no menu entry will be highlighted. Make sure the device is turned off, hold the light button, while pushing and holding the power button. This will cause a factory reset. In my case the device only resets, while pressing the buttons during a startup. This was a fast debricking!
I am glad you succeeded. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Last edited by tshering; 03-01-2014 at 08:22 AM.