Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
book64
Love reading
book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 8 mobile. Samsung 8 and 10 Tablets
Kobo Touch Remove all books and start again to speed it up?

My Kobo Touch has epubs from Kobo and other places on it
I try and just keep maybe 100 books on it from my library to stop it going slow
However now I find it is slow anyway through calibre adding and deleting books and just freezes after deleting just one book

Reading on it is fine though

Awhile ago I reset it But wary of doing that again as it froze midway and took a long while to get back to normal
#
Was wondering if there is a quick way of deleting ALL the books on it and then I could just add maybe 20 at a time to read?
book64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
You should not have to do that. Have you done a factory reset--or even better, just signed out of your kobo account and then signed in again which shoud give you a new database? I have 650 books on my Touch--a combination of kepubs, drm free epubs, and Adobe DRM books.

A factory reset removes all books from main memory. If you have an SD card, that should be removed before doing this. A sign out-sign in will leave your sideloaded books on the device and you can leave the sd card in place.

What firmware version is on your touch now?

Last edited by taming; 06-09-2013 at 10:32 AM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #3
book64
Love reading
book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
You should not have to do that. Have you done a factory reset--or even better, just signed out of your kobo account and then signed in again which shoud give you a new database? I have 650 books on my Touch--a combination of kepubs, drm free epubs, and Adobe DRM books.

A factory reset removes all books from main memory. If you have an SD card, that should be removed before doing this. A sign out-sign in will leave your sideloaded books on the device and you can leave the sd card in place.

What firmware version is on your touch now?
Thanks.
Did a factory reset awhile ago. But the kobo froze and it took 2 days to work again. So a bit wary to do it again.
Tried your suggestion to sign out and in again. But that has left me with some of the kobo books I removed from the device back on my kobo. Plus some of my sidelined books are gone and others no covers.
The shelves i created in calibre for the kobo are gone too.And so are the 12 Janet evanovich books I had on them.

Software is 2.5.2 is that what you need?
Seem to be worse off!
As I say the kobo works well when I am reading
It is just adding and removing books that is the problem

Last edited by book64; 06-09-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:22 PM   #4
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Try re-adding the books/shelves with Calibre now, and be very careful to make sure the Touch is properly ejected before disconnecting the USB cable. Now that the database has been rebuilt, adding books should go more smoothly.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:32 AM   #5
book64
Love reading

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
Try re-adding the books/shelves with Calibre now, and be very careful to make sure the Touch is properly ejected before disconnecting the USB cable. Now that the database has been rebuilt, adding books should go more smoothly.
Thank you.
But before I do that ....after signing out and in again as suggested I am now left with books now gone some with no covers etc !!!!!!!
So want to empty the Kobo then start again.
But not reset it as had problems with that before.
Plugging the Kobo into the PC let's me delete them one by one but freezes each time in between.
Advert
Old 06-10-2013, 06:24 AM   #6
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by book64 View Post
Plugging the Kobo into the PC let's me delete them one by one but freezes each time in between.
What do you mean by freezes each time in between? Is this when deleting the file, or after unplugging the device from your computer?

Anyway, you can delete all of the files at one time. That includes hidden files like the .kobo directory since the device will rebuild it.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:15 AM   #7
book64
Love reading

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
What do you mean by freezes each time in between? Is this when deleting the file, or after unplugging the device from your computer?

Anyway, you can delete all of the files at one time. That includes hidden files like the .kobo directory since the device will rebuild it.
When the kobo is still plugged into the computer and viewed through calibre all is well. Until I try and delete anything off it
I had hoped to delete all the books that way then add one by one the ones I want to read first.
However when I try and delete more than 1 at a time the pc screen freezes for 3 or 4 minutes before it deletes.
Even deleting one book does the same
That is basically the problem I have

Also can you tell me how I can stop it importing some kobo books I don't want on it now when I sync. Don't want to lose them Just don't want them on my kobo.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:21 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
When the kobo is still plugged into the computer and viewed through calibre all is well. Until I try and delete anything off it
I had hoped to delete all the books that way then add one by one the ones I want to read first.
However when I try and delete more than 1 at a time the pc screen freezes for 3 or 4 minutes before it deletes.
Even deleting one book does the same
That is basically the problem I have
Does this happen when you send a book to the device? I do see a few seconds freeze in calibre after an update to the device, but not for that amount of time.

The delete from calibre removes the books and cover images. Plus it deletes some rows in the database. There is a possibility the database is corrupt and causing the hang. The Kobo Utilities plugin has an option to check the database. Can you download and install that in calibre? Then run the check. It is under the "Database" menu. If the result says "Ok", the database is OK. If it says anything else, then the database is corrupt.
Quote:
Also can you tell me how I can stop it importing some kobo books I don't want on it now when I sync. Don't want to lose them Just don't want them on my kobo.
There are two options. You can delete the book on the device. This will remove it and tell the server not to sync the book. To get it again, you go to the Kobo site and look in your library there. You can also "Archive" the book. This removes the file, but keeps the info about it on the device. You can download it again later by tapping on the book in the library list.

You can also do this through the desktop app with the device connected. And trying this might be a good idea. If this has trouble communicating with the device, then it says the problem is the device or the USB connection. If it doesn't have problems, it looks like a calibre issue.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:28 AM   #9
book64
Love reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Does this happen when you send a book to the device? I do see a few seconds freeze in calibre after an update to the device, but not for that amount of time.

The delete from calibre removes the books and cover images. Plus it deletes some rows in the database. There is a possibility the database is corrupt and causing the hang. The Kobo Utilities plugin has an option to check the database. Can you download and install that in calibre? Then run the check. It is under the "Database" menu. If the result says "Ok", the database is OK. If it says anything else, then the database is corrupt.

There are two options. You can delete the book on the device. This will remove it and tell the server not to sync the book. To get it again, you go to the Kobo site and look in your library there. You can also "Archive" the book. This removes the file, but keeps the info about it on the device. You can download it again later by tapping on the book in the library list.

You can also do this through the desktop app with the device connected. And trying this might be a good idea. If this has trouble communicating with the device, then it says the problem is the device or the USB connection. If it doesn't have problems, it looks like a calibre issue.
Thank you for the advice. Also the help regarding Kobo books.
Not sure what to do with the plug in lol
Also it days back up the database first? Where is that?
Old 06-11-2013, 08:48 AM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Thank you for the advice. Also the help regarding Kobo books.
Not sure what to do with the plug in lol
Also it days back up the database first? Where is that?
The plugin just needs to be installed. Part of that will ask which tool bar to put it on. Putting it on the "main toolbar when a device is connected" is probably the best.

The plugin has a database backup option. It automatically get the database from the right place and prompts you were you want to save it. That option is pretty safe. The check option is also safe, as it doesn't cause any writes to the database.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:39 AM   #11
book64
Love reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The plugin just needs to be installed. Part of that will ask which tool bar to put it on. Putting it on the "main toolbar when a device is connected" is probably the best.

The plugin has a database backup option. It automatically get the database from the right place and prompts you were you want to save it. That option is pretty safe. The check option is also safe, as it doesn't cause any writes to the database.
I installed the plug in. It didn't ask me anything lol
Checked in the plug ins list and it says its there But no sign of it in calibres interface or anywhere lol

Is it the wrong one?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plug in.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	106893  

Last edited by book64; 06-11-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:58 AM   #12
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
I installed the plug in. It didn't ask me anything lol
Checked in the plug ins list and it says its there But no sign of it in calibres interface or anywhere lol

Is it the wrong one?
Yes, that's the wrong one. You have to use the instructions given by davidfor here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=215339

Including downloading the attached file in the first post in the link above.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:43 AM   #13
book64
Love reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
Yes, that's the wrong one. You have to use the instructions given by davidfor here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=215339

Including downloading the attached file in the first post in the link above.
Sorry if I don't understand but im not so young lol
Downloaded that zip file to start with But didn't know how to install it so searched and found the other one
Can you help me to unzip and install then maybe?
Old 06-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #14
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Sorry if I don't understand but im not so young lol
Downloaded that zip file to start with But didn't know how to install it so searched and found the other one
Can you help me to unzip and install then maybe?
heh..I haven't actually installed it myself yet, though I've been meaning to...so I've been just figuring it out as I help you

This is the instructions davidfor refers to in his "installation" section (you've done step 1):
To install a plugin using the Calibre gui:

1) Download the plugin zip file, taking care that it is not unzipped or touched by any antivirus or download managers you use.
2) In Calibre choose Preferences->Plugins. Click the Load plugin from file button (Calibre 0.8.6 or later) and click OK.
3) You may then be asked which toolbars/menus you would like the plugin to appear on if it is designed to have a user interface. Take care to put it on all you require, remember that there are different toolbars and menus for while your device is connected. You can always change your mind later using Preferences->Toolbar to change your selections.
4) Restart Calibre after installing a plugin. Ctrl+R is a convenient shortcut for this.
5) As discussed above, your plugin may need further customisation using Customize plugin from Preferences->Plugins or the Plugin Updater dialog.

I think that is clearer than I could write it, but if you don't get a step, ask!

Step 3 was what davidfor was referring to in his earlier post about being "asked where you want the plugin in the toolbar"

Last edited by Uschiekid; 06-11-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #15
book64
Love reading

Thanks Uschiekid
That worked. I clicked on Add new plug in before and got stuck!
Load plugins from file did the trick
So now its sitting there on the toolbar saying what can I do and I am saying -- err um well lol