Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-12-2012, 11:30 AM   #1
jdanniel
jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Nexus 7
How do I View My Own Test E-Books via Kindle for Android?

Hi everyone.

I just bought a Google Nexus 7 and am requesting help with viewing e-books.

I've installed the Kindle for Android reader onto the Nexus.

I've also created a couple of test e-books, using Sigil. The test e-books are in EPUB format, but I also used Calibre to convert them into MOBI format.

My goal is to view these e-books on my tablet. Could I please get some assistance with that? I'm not quite sure where to start.

I know how to sideload files onto the tablet. But I'm not quite sure how to store the e-books in the cloud.

Where do I start with that? I'm not sure if I've given you enough information, so if not, please let me know and I'll reply asap.

Thank you! J. Danniel
(Please call me Jd.)
jdanniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:04 PM   #2
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanniel View Post
Hi everyone.

I just bought a Google Nexus 7 and am requesting help with viewing e-books.

I've installed the Kindle for Android reader onto the Nexus.

I've also created a couple of test e-books, using Sigil. The test e-books are in EPUB format, but I also used Calibre to convert them into MOBI format.

My goal is to view these e-books on my tablet. Could I please get some assistance with that? I'm not quite sure where to start.

I know how to sideload files onto the tablet. But I'm not quite sure how to store the e-books in the cloud.

Where do I start with that? I'm not sure if I've given you enough information, so if not, please let me know and I'll reply asap.

Thank you! J. Danniel
(Please call me Jd.)
You want to read the mobi files you produced on your tablet with the Kindle for Android app, yes? The methods in this thread still work, I believe:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=181477
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #3
jdanniel
jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for replying. I'm not sure if that thread helped. They talked mainly about sideloading, which I know how to do--although I haven't tried it yet with the MOBI file.

The thread didn't seem to say much about downloading from the cloud. If they did talk about it, I either missed it or didn't understand it.

How about I rephrase the question a little bit?

Let's say I want to read my test e-book on the Kindle for Android app from the cloud, and NOT from sideloading.

Now, let's take it a step further. Let's say I want some other people to be able to download the test e-book from the cloud, so they can proofread it and check to see if it works properly for them.

Where would be the best place to place the test e-book, so that anyone can have access to it?

Thank you! Jd
Old 09-12-2012, 01:23 PM   #4
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for replying. I'm not sure if that thread helped. They talked mainly about sideloading, which I know how to do--although I haven't tried it yet with the MOBI file.

The thread didn't seem to say much about downloading from the cloud. If they did talk about it, I either missed it or didn't understand it.

How about I rephrase the question a little bit?

Let's say I want to read my test e-book on the Kindle for Android app from the cloud, and NOT from sideloading.

Now, let's take it a step further. Let's say I want some other people to be able to download the test e-book from the cloud, so they can proofread it and check to see if it works properly for them.

Where would be the best place to place the test e-book, so that anyone can have access to it?

Thank you! Jd
Sideloading is anyway of getting the data on the device beside the official Amazon delivery mechanisms, so even if you use "the cloud" you are still side loading.

"The cloud" is a very vague term referring to any kind of Internet data storage.
If you have a PARTICULAR could in mind, like Amazon's Cloud Drive, then let us know.

But, for example, Dropbox is cloud storage, too, and that was mentioned in the thread.

Putting a file on your own web site and giving a link to folks would be "cloud storage" as well.

Emailing the doc to your Kindle address and letting it be archived by Amazon (if Kindle for Android allows that.) would also be using "the cloud" though it wouldn't be side loading, as it's one of the 'official' delivery mechanisms."

ApK
Old 09-12-2012, 01:31 PM   #5
jdanniel

Okay....let's see if I can get more specific.

I want a certain group of people to view the e-book, but not just anyone.

So...I am assuming that eliminates Dropbox and Google Cloud. Am I correct?

I am reserving those things for just me, myself, and I.

So, where does that leave us? How about my web site? I have my own domain, so I can give a URL to a specific group of people. They can download the e-book from there.

But that brings us back to the main point: Once these people have access to the e-book, how do they view it on the Kindle for Android app? That is what is confusing me.

All I see when I open Kindle for Android is Library>Periodicals. I'm surprised there isn't a File/Open option.

So, let's do this: Let me get more specific.

Let's say I put the MOBI file somewhere on my web site. I give people the URL for it.

What's next? How does that MOBI file get loaded into Kindle?

What about the Kindle Store? Is there anything along the lines of Google Cloud or Dropbox, specifically for Kindle, where I can upload my MOBI file, and people can access it?

Hopefully I've been more specific and have narrowed things down a bit.
Advert
Old 09-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #6
ApK

OK, there are two different issues.

1. Distributing the file to a limited group.
2. Reading the file once they have it.

On 1, many cloud storage services let you give access to only a certain group of people. Dropbox has the Shared Folder mechanism, I know others, like yousendit.com, have similar systems. I'd be surprised if Google didn't.

On 2, the details depend on the device they are using, but in the case of Kindle for Android, they would need to sideload the file once they get it from the cloud, by moving it to the appropriate folder where the Kindle app can see it. The thread I linked above gives several ways of doing that, among them, using the Dropbox app, which would make for a fairly simple solution if you also used Dropbox to handle the distribution.

There is no "File Open" in Kindle land. There is only Get it from Amazon, or sideload it.

There is no private equivalent of the Amazon store to use for integrated private distribution to Kindles.

Someone will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong.

ApK

Last edited by ApK; 09-12-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #7
jdanniel

Okay now we are getting somewhere. Let's talk for a moment about sideloading.

I'm a little confused about the semantics of the term. I was under the impression that sideloading meant manually placing data onto the device using a wired connection, or by using external storage such as an SD card or USB Flash Drive.

The Google Nexus 7 has no capacity for external storage, so let's use my own device as an example. Instead of using an SD card or USB flash drive, I'd have to hook the tablet up to my desktop PC via the MicroUSB cable.

I could then see the file structure on my desktop PC, and copy the MOBI file somewhere to the tablet, using Windows Explorer.

Am I right so far?

But you mentioned Dropbox. That confuses me. Can we discuss this in a bit more detail? I'm a little lost once the word Dropbox is brought into the conversation.

Let me see if I understand it. Dropbox is just one of several ways for people to obtain my MOBI file. Is that what you are saying? But no matter how someone obtains my file, they'll still have to sideload it manually, by hooking their device up to their PC? Or via SC Card/USB?

I'm not 100% if that's what you mean. I can't just put something in Dropbox and someone can view the file in Kindle simply by accessing that file in Dropbox?

I don't think that's what you mean, but I want to be sure. I think what you're saying is that no matter whether they get the file from Dropbox or my web site, the bottom line is it has to be sideloaded in order to view it?

I'm pretty sure anyone can access the MOBI file via Kindle Store, but I'd have to go through Kindle Direct Publishing to do that, and I'm far, far from ready to do that.

Sideloading manually is the only way to go, for now? Jd
Old 09-12-2012, 02:07 PM   #8
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Okay....let's see if I can get more specific.

I want a certain group of people to view the e-book, but not just anyone.

So...I am assuming that eliminates Dropbox and Google Cloud. Am I correct?

........ snip ........
So, let's do this: Let me get more specific.

Let's say I put the MOBI file somewhere on my web site. I give people the URL for it.

What's next? How does that MOBI file get loaded into Kindle?

What about the Kindle Store? Is there anything along the lines of Google Cloud or Dropbox, specifically for Kindle, where I can upload my MOBI file, and people can access it?

Hopefully I've been more specific and have narrowed things down a bit.
He is actually answering your question, but his limited answer is not on his lack of understanding your question its the lacking of the Kindle app for Android. The app is not an Android friendly app, it only tries to do the bare bone minimum.

Most apps that work properly with Android you could just download an app from the web, dropbox, Google Drive, etc... and a menu would pop up asking if you wish to open a file via App (xyz). The Kindle app does not support this feature so the only way to view apps in the Kindle app is to place them in the /sdcard/kindle directory or downloading them from the Kindle store(which places the file in the /sdcard/kindle) directory. Which essentially is the same process of side-loading eBooks.

So you can use your web(URL), Dropbox, Google Drive and just tell whoever is going to look at the file to place the mobi file in the /sdcard/kindle directory then launch the Kindle app and you should see the eBook.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 09-12-2012 at 02:12 PM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:09 PM   #9
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post

On 1, many cloud storage services let you give access to only a certain group of people. Dropbox has the Shared Folder mechanism, I know others, like yousendit.com, have similar systems. I'd be surprised if Google didn't.
Let me add that most could systems have a public and private views/sharing. For private sharing, users must have accounts on your chosen system. For Public sharing you are given a URL that you can send them (or even directories that both share*). This is essentially the same thing as giving them a URL on your website.

* Directory sharing is for more powerful but more complex to use.
=X=

Last edited by =X=; 09-12-2012 at 02:12 PM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #10
ApK

Quote:
Okay now we are getting somewhere. Let's talk for a moment about sideloading.

I'm a little confused about the semantics of the term. I was under the impression that sideloading meant manually placing data onto the device using a wired connection, or by using external storage such as an SD card or USB Flash Drive.
As someone who once wasted(?) an entire computer science class period debating the proper use of the terms upload vs download on remote controlled peer systems, let's cut it short by saying a wired connection is not required.

In this context, I use the term to mean adding content which was not obtained though the reader's intended content-getting mechanism. i.e., the Amazon store or the Amazon Personal Document service.
Doesn't matter if that content is brought in over a usb wire from a pc, or if it was brought over from another folder on the same tablet.

Quote:
Let me see if I understand it. Dropbox is just one of several ways for people to obtain my MOBI file. Is that what you are saying? But no matter how someone obtains my file, they'll still have to sideload it manually,
Yes.
Quote:
by hooking their device up to their PC? Or via SC Card/USB?
No. Once they get it on the tablet, the sideloading process just involves moving to the right place so the Kindle app can see it, and then possibly the need to restart the app so the new content will be detected.

According to the info in that thread I linked, the Dropbox app can drop it into the correct location directly. If the file is gotten some other way, some other file handling tool would be needed to move it to the right location.

And this is all about Kindle for Android. If your potential readers are using an eink kindle, or Kindle for PC, the process is different, and simpler. Most eink Kindles and Kindle for PC can often download and open mobi files directly.

Quote:
I'm not 100% if that's what you mean. I can't just put something in Dropbox and someone can view the file in Kindle simply by accessing that file in Dropbox?
See above. If I'm using an eink Kindle or Kindle for PC, and you send me an accessible Drobbox file link, or any web link to a mobi file, I can probably just download it and read it.

In Kindle for Android, I'd have to make sure it gets to a particular folder on the device, and then I may need to restart the Kindle app. That's sideloading in my book.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:31 PM   #11
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Let me add that most could systems have a public and private views/sharing. For private sharing, users must have accounts on your chosen system. For Public sharing you are given a URL that you can send them (or even directories that both share*). This is essentially the same thing as giving them a URL on your website.

* Directory sharing is for more powerful but more complex to use.
=X=
Correct. A public file link is easiest. Unless security is a real concern, that's the way I'd go.
Strangers are not going to stumble upon the file, unless someone sends them the link.
The inherent security by obscurity is probably more than enough in this case, and you can always take the file down after a while.

Last edited by ApK; 09-12-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #12
jdanniel

I think I got it. I think I understand. I think I successfully downloaded my MOBI file to my Nexus via Dropbox.

Let me conduct a few more tests, and I'll get back to you with my results.

I think Dropbox MIGHT be the best way to go, since there is a Dropbox app that will let you download to the SD folder of your choice. I'd just have to instruct people on what to do.

I'm going to have to figure out the public/private thing, though. That's another issue.

Thanks for helping out! I will return later with results. Jd
Old 09-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #13
ApK

Quote:

I'm going to have to figure out the public/private thing, though. That's another issue.
I think =X= and I agree a public file link is the best way to go.
Only send the link to the people you want to have it.

From the Public folder help file on Dropbox:

Step 1: Drop a file into the Public folder.

Step 2: Right-click this file, then choose Dropbox > Copy Public Link. This copies an Internet link to your file that you can paste anywhere: emails, instant messages, blogs, etc.

That's it! To share your file, just send the link to a friend.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:15 PM   #14
jdanniel

I think we are finally all on the same page. I think I understand now.

I'm beginning to wonder about something, though...but it's not really relevant to this thread. If I want to ask questions about it, I'll start a new thread.

Thank you, everyone, for helping me. Jd