Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-16-2011, 12:37 PM   #1
jackhulk
Connoisseur
jackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: K3 3G
Exclamation How to get "Insert metadata as page" option to stick?

Hello

I would like a summary of my books to be present at the front of each book. Searching threads I found other were successful with this task by selecting Preferences > Common Options > Structure Detection > Insert metadata as page at start of book (tickbox) > Apply.

I then re-converted a book, sent to Kindle, but summary still wasn't present? I repeated process many times to ensure I was doing everything correctly but still couldn't get summary on Kindle.

I then looked at the Convert individually > Structure Detection and found the Insert metadata as page at start of book was un-ticked? I ticked this, converted, sent to Kindle and finally the summary appeared!

This is great but has me puzzled as to how I can get this option to stick? I though by apply this in common options (along with page set-up), these options would be applied when ever I convert a book?
jackhulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 01:02 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhulk View Post
Hello

I would like a summary of my books to be present at the front of each book. Searching threads I found other were successful with this task by selecting Preferences > Common Options > Structure Detection > Insert metadata as page at start of book (tickbox) > Apply.

I then re-converted a book, sent to Kindle, but summary still wasn't present? I repeated process many times to ensure I was doing everything correctly but still couldn't get summary on Kindle.

I then looked at the Convert individually > Structure Detection and found the Insert metadata as page at start of book was un-ticked? I ticked this, converted, sent to Kindle and finally the summary appeared!

This is great but has me puzzled as to how I can get this option to stick? I though by apply this in common options (along with page set-up), these options would be applied when ever I convert a book?
Once you have converted a book, the options that were used THEN, will be used again unless:
you click the Restore Defaults button at the bottom of the first Conversion screen. This only applies to books selected.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2011, 01:11 PM   #3
jackhulk
Connoisseur
jackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Thank you, I found this too, but then what is the purpose of these settings also being present in common options if they are not active when selecting them? They only become active and saved once setup via convert individually menu.

Bug perhaps?
Old 10-16-2011, 01:29 PM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
As theducks said if you have converted a book previously the saved conversion options for that book will be used instead of the defaults.

You can remove the saved conversion settings in a bulk convert by unchecking box in left top corner.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 01:44 PM   #5
jackhulk
Connoisseur

But that's the problem, defaults set in common options are never used. For example, if I install a fresh version of calibre, so no library exists, nothing has been converted, I tick insert metadata as page at start of book within common options, convert a book, send to Kindle, summary will not be present. It seems even though the insert metadata is selected in common options, it will be ignore until selected within convert individually menu. Only then as you both rightly say, will then be active.

It doesn't really matter as it is working now once selected and saved via convert individually menu, but thought I should point it out in case any other newbies have the same trouble I did.

Last edited by jackhulk; 10-16-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Advert
Old 10-16-2011, 02:10 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But that's the problem, defaults set in common options are never used. For example, if I install a fresh version of calibre, so no library exists, nothing has been converted, I tick insert metadata as page at start of book within common options, convert a book, send to Kindle, summary will not be present. It seems even though the insert metadata is selected in common options, it will be ignore until selected within convert individually menu. Only then as you both rightly say, will then be active.

It doesn't really matter as it is working now once selected and saved via convert individually menu, but thought I should point it out in case any other newbies have the same trouble I did.
They ARE used for any book that has NOT been CONVERTED ONCE (or more). They are the Defaults.
Since each book can be unique, you can fine tune each conversion at the book level and it will be remembered (unless you clear it).
Old 10-16-2011, 09:19 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
But that's the problem, defaults set in common options are never used. For example, if I install a fresh version of calibre, so no library exists, nothing has been converted, I tick insert metadata as page at start of book within common options, convert a book, send to Kindle, summary will not be present.
This is factually incorrect. If you are converting a book for the first time the defaults will be used. If you added a book to your library that had previously been converted in calibre (because the source is "borrowed" from another users library or because you used the Save to disk feature) and you imported the external opf file with the book then it will use the previous conversion settings. If you want a book to use the defaults click restore defaults if converting a single book or uncheck the settings box in the top left corner if doing a bulk conversion.

Quote:
It seems even though the insert metadata is selected in common options, it will be ignore until selected within convert individually menu. Only then as you both rightly say, will then be active.

It does matter. Passing on inaccurate information is what will confuse a "newbie". Hopefully you and anyone reading this will be able to read around your inaccuracies and decipher how this actually works by the end of this thread.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:28 PM   #8
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:

It works for me. I set the preference to insert metadata and added a new book and converted it and the metadata was there in the converted book. (it was not in the original).

A new installation is not new unless you remove the configuration directory as well. Some saved settings are in this directory.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:50 AM   #9
jackhulk
Connoisseur

Look, I AM a newbie and so far I'm feeling VERY unwelcome here. All I've done is ask for help in a polite manner. I've explained the problem I was having, and whether that's "factually incorrect" or not, that's the EXACT results I was getting with my set-up. This is not the only thread where I've asked for help only to receive some what condescending replies.

This looks to be a great and informative site, but quite frankly, after my first day here I will have to consider looking for another, more friendly site, as newbies here are made to feel unwelcome and stupid. FACT!
Old 10-17-2011, 04:22 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Look, I AM a newbie and so far I'm feeling VERY unwelcome here. All I've done is ask for help in a polite manner. I've explained the problem I was having, and whether that's "factually incorrect" or not, that's the EXACT results I was getting with my set-up. This is not the only thread where I've asked for help only to receive some what condescending replies.

This looks to be a great and informative site, but quite frankly, after my first day here I will have to consider looking for another, more friendly site, as newbies here are made to feel unwelcome and stupid. FACT!
Bye
You have reinforced your unwillingness to learn from the folk that have been working with Calibre for a while.