Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-11-2011, 09:09 AM   #1
comet
Connoisseur
comet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis , Kindle Oasis 2, Tolino Epos
reading during charging over usb on linux?

Hallo,

I don't succeed in using my kindle during it is charged by my linux-box over usb. If I eject it without unattaching the usb-cable (following the advice on the kindle-screen) nothing changes. Is it only possible to do so using windows or mac?

Last edited by comet; 06-11-2011 at 09:16 AM.
comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:10 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Doesn't work in Windows either, FWIW; ejecting the device from Windows 7 does nothing to the Kindle display for me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2011, 09:29 AM   #3
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I've found the key is to use the "Eject" option, not the "Unmount" or "Safely Remove Drive" option (depending on distro). Either will unmount the Kindle safely, but the Kindle will only notice if I use "Eject"

I've also found that the "Eject this Device" button in Calibre works.

Last edited by avantman42; 06-11-2011 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Forgot to add note about Calibre
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:12 AM   #4
Gort
Enthusiast
Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I tend to use the command line when mounting or unmounting devices (habit from the past), so my experience is based on that. If you use umount to unmount the device, then it'll act the way the OP says. However, as mentioned above, using the eject command does allow you to use the device as it's charging (eject /dev/sd*, etc). If you're using the GUI, then avantman42's suggestion of using eject is the way to go. You should get a device icon turn up on your desktop when you plug in the Kindle, and if you right-click that, you should find various items, eject being one of them.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:12 AM   #5
comet
Connoisseur
comet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis , Kindle Oasis 2, Tolino Epos
@Gort: I am using KDE, so there is no icon (and the icon in dolphin has no "eject"-option), but using "eject" on the command line works well! :-)
comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2011, 04:56 PM   #6
Spoudason
Spoudason began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
In Windows 7 with your Kindle plugged in to the computer, go to the Kindle icon in Windows Explorer and right click it. Find eject and click it. Your normal screen will appear on your Kindle while still plugged in. Continue reading while it charges.
Spoudason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:58 AM   #7
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool use 'computer' (my computer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Doesn't work in Windows either, FWIW; ejecting the device from Windows 7 does nothing to the Kindle display for me.
in win7 go to computer, there are all your drives including the kindle. right click on the kindle drive icon and and choose 'eject', then your screen should revert to wherever you were when you plugged the kindle in.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:17 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
in win7 go to computer, there are all your drives including the kindle. right click on the kindle drive icon and and choose 'eject', then your screen should revert to wherever you were when you plugged the kindle in.
Thank you - that works . The "Safely Remove Hardware" option, though, which on Windows XP returned the Kindle to its reading screen, does not do so on Windows 7. As you say, though, "Eject" works fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote