Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-10-2010, 08:06 PM   #91
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
iPad does have a Micro-SIM.
But with an adapter (I've got one for my MiFi, working flawlessly), you should be able to use it.
Works the other way around as well: You can cut a standard SIM to a Micro SIM.
To my knowledge, the only difference is size. You only have to be careful about regions. The US AT&T for example won't work in Germany because of the frequency used.
Yes, I've seen adapters. I've not tried 'em, though, and don't know whether there are other restrictions tied to the AT&T data plan. Given the low rate I'm paying, I'd be careful about using the card outside the terms of the agreement.

Until Android operates as smoothly and effortlessly for my vanilla needs as iPad does, I don't see myself switching to a Galaxy or other alternative. If I suddenly find my needs changing and not being met, I'll certainly explore. I've been able to do limited work on iPad, as well as use it for email, news and books, so my needs are being met.

For now, I'm much more tempted by the Dell Streak, because of its size and phone. I'm going to check it out the next time I'm stateside. I'm not in a rush.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:41 AM   #92
Lady_3Jane
total greenhorn
Lady_3Jane knows what time it isLady_3Jane knows what time it isLady_3Jane knows what time it isLady_3Jane knows what time it isLady_3Jane knows what time it isLady_3Jane knows what time it isLady_3Jane knows what time it isLady_3Jane knows what time it isLady_3Jane knows what time it isLady_3Jane knows what time it isLady_3Jane knows what time it is

Device: PRS 505; Galaxy Tab; PRS 350; Kobo Glo
@mgmueller : how can i assign an additional dictionary to the standard reader on the galaxy tab?
That one does all i need, but i would like to use the Webster prc. Or is that the wrong format?

Last edited by Lady_3Jane; 11-14-2010 at 09:50 AM. Reason: typo
Lady_3Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2010, 02:40 PM   #93
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_3Jane View Post
@mgmueller : how can i assign an additional dictionary to the standard reader on the galaxy tab?
That one does all i need, but i would like to use the Webster prc. Or is that the wrong format?
Sorry, just speculating here as I don't use the standard reader:
The standard reader uses ePUB, so "prc" (mobipocket) would be the wrong file format.
If you're using ePUBs, I'd recommend either "Aldiko" reader (way more options) or maybe even the "nook" app.
You can add your own books to the "nook" app and the "Kindle" app as well.
"Nook" handles ePUBs, "Kindle" handles .prc or .mobi.
And you perfectly can shop from those 2.

Or did you mean the "Kobo" app by "standard reader" (the one you find in the reader hub)?
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:08 PM   #94
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
To my knowledge, the only difference is size. You only have to be careful about regions. The US AT&T for example won't work in Germany because of the frequency used.
Are you sure about that, I think it is t-mobile us that uses the out of the ordinary frequency for 3g.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:18 PM   #95
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
Are you sure about that, I think it is t-mobile us that uses the out of the ordinary frequency for 3g.
Not entirely.
I've tried the AT&T SIMs, that came pre-installed on some of my readers: nook, Sony 900, US iPad, ...
None of them has been working over here in Germany. But this may be for other reasons of course...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2010, 11:43 PM   #96
cavi
Connoisseur
cavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enough

Device: prs600
does the galaxy have flash support? How about printing support? Those are the two main limitations that I find in the ipad that have caused me to still keep a netbook which I would love to ditch...
cavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:19 AM   #97
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavi View Post
does the galaxy have flash support?
It's running Android 2.2; so yes, it has flash support.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote