Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 01-28-2010, 08:13 AM   #16
JenniP
JenniP began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook Lite
Hi All,
I also received my Jetbook Lite today and can't wait to get home and try it out. I have lots of books bought from Fictionwise and also some in Mobi format.
E-readers are still very expensive here in South Africa and I don't think we have a large following yet, but hopefully that will change with time.
Jenni
JenniP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:52 AM   #17
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Welcome Jenni! I wonder if yours is the first jetBook Lite in South Africa!

I've only met two South Africans, and one of them was famous - Manfred Mann!
GA Russell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:38 PM   #18
Linda!
Enthusiast
Linda! has learned how to buy an e-book online

Welcome Jenni. I hope you will be happy with your Jetbook Lite.
Linda! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:25 PM   #19
gr8npwrfl
The Wizard of OZ
gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Ipod Touch Wind Netbook
Problems

Linda,

I think I will go out and get a light just to have to read while I am working on Android on my original jetbook. I will see if I can duplicate the problems that several people seem to be having with not going past the first screen.

If you can do me a favor would you try the following:

1. Put a book you have never read on a cleanly formatted SD Card
2. Power the Jetbook lite up without any card in it.
3. Wait several minutes to make sure the Jetbook is not going past the startup screen.
4. Insert the SD card and watch to see if the jetbook shows the little status bar that says card inserted.
5. If it shows that message and continues you may have just unlocked your jetbook.

I have a feeling that all the problems we are seeing are all due to a problem with information being stored in memory to speed the jetbook up by caching information.

I think they all relate back to the same software bug and your problem may have been created when your batteries were to low to make a clean shutdown and the jetbook computer chip stored some data in flash memory that the computer now does not know what to do with.

I had a similar problem with a device I developed the software for. Our software had a bug in it that did not behave properly when we lost power. We used the same computer chip and since it can program itself, it can program garbage into memory if you are not careful.

I have the impression that Ectaco is not doing their own software development. I think they have a contract with the people that wrote the original firmware for the Chinese version.

Extaco is a marketing company, not an engineering company.

This is just my opinion from some of the responses people are getting from Ectaco.

Last edited by gr8npwrfl; 01-28-2010 at 04:28 PM.
gr8npwrfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:02 PM   #20
Linda!
Enthusiast
Linda! has learned how to buy an e-book online

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8npwrfl View Post
Linda,

If you can do me a favor would you try the following:

1. Put a book you have never read on a cleanly formatted SD Card
2. Power the Jetbook lite up without any card in it.
3. Wait several minutes to make sure the Jetbook is not going past the startup screen.
4. Insert the SD card and watch to see if the jetbook shows the little status bar that says card inserted.
5. If it shows that message and continues you may have just unlocked your jetbook.

I did the above and get no response. The screen remains frozen on the initial
startup screen.

I sent an email to the Ectaco help desk about the problem and am waiting a response.

Oh, I so loved my Jetbook Lite but my JBL didnt love me back.
Linda! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:18 PM   #21
gr8npwrfl
The Wizard of OZ
gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Ipod Touch Wind Netbook
thank you

Ok,

Then the unit is not hung up on a bad piece of data. Something in the unit failed. I know that this will not make you feel better, but if a unit makes it past 30 days then the chances of having a problem is very very slim.

Premature failure in electronics that happen in the first days of operation are usually due to static discharge that damaged on of the chips during manufacture.

This also gives me the hint that the units are not being burned in at all. The units must be turned on and tested, if they pass they are boxed to ship right away.

Your chances of getting two that have problems are very slim.
gr8npwrfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:03 PM   #22
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8npwrfl View Post
Your chances of getting two that have problems are very slim.
I started using mine Dec. 25, and it stopped working Jan.24.

The postage to ship it to Ectaco was 7.5% of the purchase price.

I had better not get another bad one!

Last edited by GA Russell; 01-29-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:06 PM   #23
heffe2001
Zealot
heffe2001 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage 3g
What service did you use to ship? Seems to be bit excessive to ship something so light (I'm going to guess around what, 8-9 bucks?). UPS would have shipped it for about half that, and it'd have fit into a USPS flat-rate box as well.

If it was UPS, I'm betting they didn't take into account it was a business address, not residential..
heffe2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:34 PM   #24
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Heffe, I shipped it USPS. The postage plus insurance came to $8.70.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:28 AM   #25
P.X. Fort
Connoisseur
P.X. Fort doesn't litterP.X. Fort doesn't litter

Device: JetBook Lite; EeePC 1005HA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda! View Post
I did the above and get no response. The screen remains frozen on the initial
startup screen.

I sent an email to the Ectaco help desk about the problem and am waiting a response.

Oh, I so loved my Jetbook Lite but my JBL didnt love me back.
Call ECTACO. Their email response is slow.

Call (347) 728 - 1354 this is the number to Jerry Cimadomo. he was very helpful with me.

you can also shoot him an email Jerry@ectaco.com

I used both and he responded to me very quickly.

Please keep us posted on the response because I read that some people have issue with ECTACO warranty for jetbooks purchased from other resellers.

Good luck

Did you try a reset with the SD card out?
P.X. Fort is offline   Reply With Quote