Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-18-2017, 11:19 AM   #1
Heathside Boy
HB
Heathside Boy began at the beginning.

Device: Nook for PC / Calibre
EPUB format does not show left & right examples

I am reading the book ‘The Elements of Style’ via Calibre in EPUB format.

At some points in the book it gives examples of correct sentences and incorrect sentences.

So it may point out as an example:

In the left-hand column blah blah blah.

In the right-hand column blah blah blah.

These columns are not shown in Calibre on the left and the right side of each other as it states. It would be easier for clarity of reading if they were so.

Rather the columns are all shown jumbled up together with each line underneath each other so I would have to read the 1st, 3rd & 5th line underneath each other. This would donate the left-hand column and the 2nd, 4th & 6th line underneath each other would donate the right-hand column.

You can see from this that this causes confusion in the way it is read.

What I want to know is why the columns are portrayed this way and not as they are supposed to show as on the left and right of each other? Is it because of the EPUB format I am using that they are shown in this way?

What would I need to do so that the columns show in the correct way? Would I need to change it to another format perhaps? If so, what one and how do I go about doing this?

Any answers to this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

HB
Heathside Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:56 AM   #2
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I have that book both in PDF format and EPUB format. Both show the left and right columns properly, but that is because my EPUB format is a minimalist "repackaged" PDF format. It sounds as if your EPUB format was constructed via an OCR scan of the original PDF format.
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:34 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonST View Post
It sounds as if your EPUB format was constructed via an OCR scan of the original PDF format.

@Heathside Boy - I have it in ePUB from Gutenberg, sample :

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	159537

IMO, the left/right examples would be better off without the hanging indents.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:38 AM   #4
Heathside Boy
HB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonST View Post
I have that book both in PDF format and EPUB format. Both show the left and right columns properly, but that is because my EPUB format is a minimalist "repackaged" PDF format. It sounds as if your EPUB format was constructed via an OCR scan of the original PDF format.

I have now found the book in PDF format and you are correct that the left and right columns show properly in this format. I obviously do not need to put it in Calibre as I can read it as a stand-alone PDF.

Having said that, it would be nice to place it in Calibre so that it does show the columns the correct way and for me to read it in there.

1st, is there any way I can change the original EPUB version so that it shows the columns properly?

2nd, if that is not possible, if I place the PDF in Calibre, will it show correctly then as a PDF document in Calibre? Or, how do I make it into as you say, ‘an EPUB minimalist format repackaged from the PDF’ so it shows the columns left and right as it should?

Could anybody refresh my memory on how to do any of these procedures please?

Thanks

HB

Last edited by Heathside Boy; 10-19-2017 at 10:42 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:06 PM   #5
fidvo
Addict
fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathside Boy View Post
I have now found the book in PDF format and you are correct that the left and right columns show properly in this format. I obviously do not need to put it in Calibre as I can read it as a stand-alone PDF.

Having said that, it would be nice to place it in Calibre so that it does show the columns the correct way and for me to read it in there.

1st, is there any way I can change the original EPUB version so that it shows the columns properly?

2nd, if that is not possible, if I place the PDF in Calibre, will it show correctly then as a PDF document in Calibre? Or, how do I make it into as you say, ‘an EPUB minimalist format repackaged from the PDF’ so it shows the columns left and right as it should?

Could anybody refresh my memory on how to do any of these procedures please?

Thanks

HB
If you set Calibre not to use its internal viewer for PDF files, you can store the PDF in Calibre and still read it with your favorite PDF viewer.

Preferences -> Behavior
Uncheck PDF in the "Use internal viewer for" box, if it's not already unchecked.
fidvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:37 AM   #6
Heathside Boy
HB

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidvo View Post
If you set Calibre not to use its internal viewer for PDF files, you can store the PDF in Calibre and still read it with your favorite PDF viewer.

Preferences -> Behavior
Uncheck PDF in the "Use internal viewer for" box, if it's not already unchecked.
I checked those settings and the PDF box under the title “use internal viewer for” is already unchecked.

Now that I have put the PDF into Calibre, I can read it as it is meant to be read and the columns are in the right places on the left and right of each other.

What I want to know is: can I in anyway change the PDF to EPUB so that the EPUB can be read in Calibre so that the columns are correct in this format?

If this can be done, can somebody, please give me step-by-step instructions on how to do this?

Thanks

HB

Last edited by Heathside Boy; 10-20-2017 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:39 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I checked those settings and the PDF box under the title “use internal viewer for” is already unchecked.

Now that I have put the PDF into Calibre, I can read it as it is meant to be read and the columns are in the right places on the left and right of each other.

What I want to know is: can I in anyway change the PDF to EPUB so that the EPUB can be read in Calibre so that the columns are correct in this format?

If this can be done, can somebody, please give me step-by-step instructions on how to do this?

Thanks

HB
Have you read the stickie about PDF?
PDF is problematic. It is a 'paste up language'.

2 column PDF is problematic * problematic
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:26 PM   #8
Heathside Boy
HB

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Have you read the stickie about PDF?
PDF is problematic. It is a 'paste up language'.
I hadn’t, but I have now thanks.

In other words, it is not worth the hassle and I’m better off reading it as it was meant to be read in the first place, as in PDF format.

Shame, EPUB is my favourite format to read on a PC.

What did the earlier poster mean when he said his EPUB format is a minimalist "repackaged" PDF format? He referred that this worked for him and that he could read his EPUB as it was in the original PDF. Or am I missing something here?

Thanks

HB
Old 10-20-2017, 03:08 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

What did the earlier poster mean when he said his EPUB format is a minimalist "repackaged" PDF format? He referred that this worked for him and that he could read his EPUB as it was in the original PDF. Or am I missing something here?

Thanks

HB
He probably is reading very simple PDF. Words single column paragraphs, all laid down linearly.
Once you start adding extras, PDF is no longer linear. The fleuron may now be at the end of the original section. Corrections (replacement) are at the end.

PDF is a make a graphic and then 'place this here'
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote