Old 10-18-2008, 01:48 AM   #16
ZenEngineer
Connoisseur
ZenEngineer has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
Check out PRSCustomizer
It looks ok, but I'm afraid of killing my Reader doing hacks like that.
ZenEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 03:54 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Ofcourse we all want a bigger screen or higher resolution. so appart from that.
Please don't make assumptions about what "we all" want . I don't want a larger screen - the 6" screen is the perfect size for a fiction reader. One of the reasons I sold my iLiad (which has an 8" screen) was the fact that it was too large to carry around with me all the time, as I do the Gen3 (which has the same screen as the Sony).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:29 AM   #18
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I would like some sort of built in RSS aggregator that automatically syncs new RSS feeds and deletes items that I've read. I'm hoping this will be a feature of calibre at some stage.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 08:19 AM   #19
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenEngineer View Post
It looks ok, but I'm afraid of killing my Reader doing hacks like that.
While nothing's guaranteed with software, it's as safe as it can be now that Jeff's GUI'd & automated the changes.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:49 AM   #20
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Dictionary support
Search function

All of the above without any negative impact on battery life.

Would very welcome 8" screen too
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 11:25 AM   #21
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
I would like to see:
  • Dictionary support
  • clock
  • user fonts
  • folder support
  • to be able to store more books on MS/SD but have the unit access/log them like it does the internal memory

other than those minor niggles (and probably easy for sony to solve with firmware upgrade, hint hint) I adore this reader. I use it far more than I ever imagined I would. I do about 90% of my reading on it now compared to my PB's.
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 02:22 PM   #22
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I've written an topic about improvements that can be done in the e-ink screen software ( to only update those parts of the screen that need updating, instead of refreshing the whole screen).

This made me wonder if the reader executes it's OS directly from it's flash memory chips, or if it like a computer first loads the OS (kernel) in the cpu and RAM.

An OS that runs directly from it's flash could possibly save tremendous amounts of battery life, and reduces the need for RAM.
That way most of the RAM will be dedicated to the books you read (eg: a pdf file of 27Mb goes straight in the RAM.
If they would replace the RAM with FLASH SLC memory, a 128MB would be more than sufficient, could mean you never need to reboot the device ever again (or boottimes could be close to 2 seconds), since instead the reader stays 'always on',without really consuming much energy at all being inactive.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 03:27 PM   #23
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Personally I'd like to see them add ereader support. After that it's folders and a faster refresh.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 11:16 PM   #24
dregar
dregar began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
After having using the PRS-505 for less than a week, there are a few things I would like:
- Dictionary support
- More than 3 sizes of font size, or rather some kind of a zoom feature (this applies more for PDF reading)
- More format support, especially mobi

I think the screen size is fine. If they were to make it any larger, they should target a different market. The buttons are well-placed and I never thought about needing the touch screen.
dregar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:01 AM   #25
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dregar View Post
After having using the PRS-505 for less than a week, there are a few things I would like:
- Dictionary support
- More than 3 sizes of font size, or rather some kind of a zoom feature (this applies more for PDF reading)
- More format support, especially mobi

I think the screen size is fine. If they were to make it any larger, they should target a different market. The buttons are well-placed and I never thought about needing the touch screen.
As far as I understood, there is a non-official dictionary for the 500 series.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:32 AM   #26
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Please don't make assumptions about what "we all" want . I don't want a larger screen - the 6" screen is the perfect size for a fiction reader. One of the reasons I sold my iLiad (which has an 8" screen) was the fact that it was too large to carry around with me all the time, as I do the Gen3 (which has the same screen as the Sony).
I don't think a large screen necessarily means a larger device. There is alot of available space taken up in the current device with buttons. The screen could be made longer to fill most of the front of the device. I know screens are not made that size now, but this is a wish list. The all important thing is to display as much text as possible without increasing the device size. Also, I would not want the font sizes to be smaller - I find the current smallest size just about OK, any smaller and I would have to strain to read it.

The buttons would obviously have to be moved/made smaller. The existing right hand page turning buttons are in the wrong place for me and give me RSI - they are too small and fiddly. I'm not a fan of touch sensitive screens. Perhaps the edges of the device could be made touch sensitve, e.g., so running your finger along the edge would turn the page - this would be much more like turning the page in a pbook.

For future e-ink devices I would like one that opens like a book so you have two screens worth of reading for each page turn. This would probably have to be a Plastic Logic type screen to save weight, with a hinge in the middle. Even with PL screens I think this would have to be two separate screens I don't think they will take being folded flat in the middle.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 12:24 PM   #27
ProDigit
Karmaniac

I really liked the bar the Iliad uses to turn pages, but having a small 'mousepad' (like the ones used in laptops) somewhere could be very handy for scrolling (up/dn).

However,I don't really understand how you can practically get a 'touch sensitive' area on the edge of the screen's bezel to turn pages. That's why the 700 has touchscreen.

besides, if it's in an area where you touch the device too much, you might accidentally swap pages pretty often...

But I agree that doing all the effort to make an electronic device look like a real pbook, by using an e-ink display, and then end up having a 'click'-button to swap the pages isn't really 'pbook'-like.

On the other hand, I don't know if the price difference between a touchpad (mousepad) and a touchscreen is all that great..
Old 10-19-2008, 02:02 PM   #28
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
I really liked the bar the Iliad uses to turn pages, but having a small 'mousepad' (like the ones used in laptops) somewhere could be very handy for scrolling (up/dn).

However,I don't really understand how you can practically get a 'touch sensitive' area on the edge of the screen's bezel to turn pages. That's why the 700 has touchscreen.

besides, if it's in an area where you touch the device too much, you might accidentally swap pages pretty often...
I was thinking of something like motion sensors down the edge of the device, so that when you ran a finger down the side it would register as a page turn. A motion in the opposite direction would turn to the previous page. This to me would be more natural and more like turning a page in a pbook.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:27 PM   #29
ProDigit
Karmaniac

you mean a small led like a LED mouse? I know of mini-notebooks that use this principle; but I think it uses quite an amount of battery too...
For that you'd almost need to equip the device with a second battery.
If sony made the space inside the guts of the machine, a second battery could cost you upto $20 max, and the additional wheight too.

I wouldn't mind my reader being a bit more heavy having 2 batteries inside.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:59 PM   #30
Canterbury Tail
Enthusiast
Canterbury Tail began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Mobi support

The ability to zoom out the margins on books, so if you have a DRMed book with excessively large margins (yes Sony store I'm looking at you), you can get rid of them within the reader for viewing.

Slightly larger page turn buttons on the right. The angle I hold it at just doesn't seem to always for for them.

The size of the device and screen are just perfect the way they are to me.
Canterbury Tail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
505, change, engineer, feat, thing