Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-10-2015, 06:42 PM   #16
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi BR,

I mistakenly hit "edit" instead of "quote" and ruined your post above by mistake. My sincere apologies. Please repost if you can so others can see what you wrote originally. My response inside your post makes no sense.

I will be more careful in the future. I am still new to this moderator stuff and the buttons on my iPad are hard to read with my bifocals sometimes

KevinH

Last edited by KevinH; 06-10-2015 at 06:44 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:52 PM   #17
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Hi BR,

I mistakenly hit "edit" instead of "quote" and ruined your post above by mistake. My sincere apologies. Please repost if you can so others can see what you wrote originally. My response inside your post makes no sense.

I will be more careful in the future. I am still new to this moderator stuff and the buttons on my iPad are hard to read with my bifocals sometimes

KevinH
Yeah - that's easily done - the buttons should be more distinct

Best I can do is a screen shot of what I posted. I've nulled the original

I'm not interested in a discussion about whether Digia knows more about Windows Deployment than Microsoft knows. I can live with my existing symlink workaround

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-10-2015 at 08:51 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2015, 09:30 PM   #18
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I will note that the QStandardPaths documentation says this:

Quote:
QStandardPaths::DataLocation Returns the same value as AppLocalDataLocation. This enumeration value is deprecated. Using AppDataLocation is preferable since on Windows, the roaming path is recommended.

QStandardPaths::AppDataLocation Returns a directory location where persistent application data can be stored. This is an application-specific directory. To obtain a path to store data to be shared with other applications, use QStandardPaths::GenericDataLocation. The returned path is never empty. On the Windows operating system, this returns the roaming path. This enum value was added in Qt 5.4.

QStandardPaths::AppLocalDataLocation Returns the local settings path on the Windows operating system. On all other platforms, it returns the same value as AppDataLocation. This enum value was added in Qt 5.4.
I'm guessing (without quick access to the codebase ATM) that Sigil is still using QStandardPaths::AppLocalDataLocation or QStandardPaths::DataLocation instead of the newer (as of Qt5.4) QStandardPaths::AppDataLocation which would return the Microsoft recommended AppData\Roaming on the Windows platform.

Probably worth a look.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:01 PM   #19
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi DiapDealer,

But if we do that wouldn't we end up making a backwards incompatible change. If someone on Windows upgraded to this new path, they would lose all stored settings, plugins, user word lists, and etc.

So perhaps we save this change until Sigil 0.9 or even Sigil 1.0 since many other things would change at the same time?

What do you think?

KevinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I will note that the QStandardPaths documentation says this:

I'm guessing (without quick access to the codebase ATM) that Sigil is still using QStandardPaths::AppLocalDataLocation or QStandardPaths:ataLocation instead of the newer (as of Qt5.4) QStandardPaths::AppDataLocation which would return the Microsoft recommended AppData\Roaming on the Windows platform.

Probably worth a look.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 03:46 PM   #20
rubeus
Banned
rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Quote:
But if we do that wouldn't we end up making a backwards incompatible change.
Not really. The new Version can check if there are settings in the local folder and if there is no roaming folder existing yet copy the old content to the new path. On the other hand, how important is it to have the sigil settings in a roaming profile?
rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2015, 05:40 PM   #21
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But if we do that wouldn't we end up making a backwards incompatible change. If someone on Windows upgraded to this new path, they would lose all stored settings, plugins, user word lists, and etc.
Yep. All that would be lost (unless it was backed up and moved--manually or automatically).

Quote:
So perhaps we save this change until Sigil 0.9 or even Sigil 1.0 since many other things would change at the same time?

What do you think?
I don't think there needs to be any hurry. It's not like other applications don't still store that kind of stuff in AppData\Local. It won't kill anything for it to be there a while longer.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:02 PM   #22
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
This is in part why I suggested the use of an environment variable in Post 9 -- to dodge that very bullet.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-11-2015 at 06:28 PM.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:31 PM   #23
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Hi BR,

KevinH
I've done that a few times -- never hit "save" though.

@BR -- you can view the edit history of your post and restore the original version.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:51 PM   #24
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post

@BR -- you can view the edit history of your post and restore the original version.
Couldn't find an edit box it my browser cache all I could find was posts, or perhaps your trying to tell me there's a forum feature that does that, [edit]I had a look nothing, but leapt out at me[/edit].

I had a gadget once that would log posts to nominated forums, media comments etc. When it contracted a boatload of socmed enhancements infections I gave up on it.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-11-2015 at 07:01 PM.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:53 PM   #25
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I've come close--very close. I'm certain I'll do it eventually.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:58 PM   #26
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I've come close--very close. I'm certain I'll do it eventually.
- maybe the rumoured new forum format will put a bit of distance been the buttons.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:04 PM   #27
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Couldn't find an edit box it my browser cache all I could find was posts, or perhaps your trying to tell me there's a forum feature that does that, [edit]I had a look nothing, but leapt out at me[/edit].

I had a gadget once that would log posts to nominated forums, media comments etc. When it contracted a boatload of socmed enhancements infections I gave up on it.

BR
The little line at the bottom of this^^ post that says "Last edited by BetterRed; Today at 06:01 PM."

It is actually a link. Take a look at what it gets you.

This isn't the only highly unobtrusive link around, for example I only just recently learned how to view poll results after you click "vote" and leave the page it redirects to.

P.S. What leapt out???
Old 06-11-2015, 09:59 PM   #28
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
The little line at the bottom of this^^ post that says "Last edited by BetterRed; Today at 06:01 PM."

It is actually a link. Take a look at what it gets you.
Well I never... knew that.

I won't bother resurrecting the post as it would throw the rest of the thread off kilter.

Quote:
P.S. What leapt out???
Nothing much, but for a misplaced word or some such aberration

I rarely take part in polls - most don't have an 'I don't give a rats elbow' option.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-11-2015 at 10:02 PM.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:13 PM   #29
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Well I never... knew that.

I won't bother resurrecting the post as it would throw the rest of the thread off kilter.
Sure, but at least now you know.

Quote:
Nothing much, but for a misplaced word or some such aberration