Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-22-2019, 11:12 PM   #1
frankrec
frankrec is less competitive than you.frankrec is less competitive than you.frankrec is less competitive than you.frankrec is less competitive than you.frankrec is less competitive than you.frankrec is less competitive than you.frankrec is less competitive than you.frankrec is less competitive than you.frankrec is less competitive than you.frankrec is less competitive than you.frankrec is less competitive than you.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I have poor vision, need 10 inch high contrast reader

Hello, because of my poor vision I need advice on a high contrast screen at least 10 inches. I do not care if it is back lighted as I'd have the light off so as to reduce damaging the one and only eye that I now use. Clear black text a must. What would you recommen

Last edited by frankrec; 04-23-2019 at 08:04 AM.
frankrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:40 AM   #2
Bob Willis
Enthusiast
Bob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle, IPAD Pro, Boox Note
I owned a Boox Note and really satisfied with it when reading books. It has a 10.3 inch screen, which is large enough to read PDFs and comic books without zooming all the time. With high resolution of 1872x1404 pixels (227dpi), you can read even under the sunlight. The Note does not carry a front light, and it is cheaper when compared with the Note Pro. And you could learn more from their official website.
Bob Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2019, 07:19 AM   #3
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
There is no substitute for actually trying a few of the options to see if they suit you. I use e-ink because it is much easier on my eyes amongst other reasons. Whilst the contrast is good on a front lit e-ink screen, you may be better considering something like an IPad.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:17 PM   #4
frankrec
frankrec is less competitive than you.frankrec is less competitive than you.frankrec is less competitive than you.frankrec is less competitive than you.frankrec is less competitive than you.frankrec is less competitive than you.frankrec is less competitive than you.frankrec is less competitive than you.frankrec is less competitive than you.frankrec is less competitive than you.frankrec is less competitive than you.

I'm thinking of either the likebook mimas or the boox note. I do not plan on using the back light as that harms the eyes. Now I'm wondering which of these have a sharper image
Old 04-24-2019, 01:37 PM   #5
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrec View Post
I'm thinking of either the likebook mimas or the boox note. I do not plan on using the back light as that harms the eyes. Now I'm wondering which of these have a sharper image
Actually, the back light (or front light) on an ereader doesn't harm the eyes at all. A tablet is a different story. I just don't use it because I have a decent reading light in the first place, as you do. I was also checking out the bigger screened ereaders and Onyx seemed to be the best choice. With the new multisized fonts on the Kindles, however, I can delay that need for now.

https://onyxboox.com/boox_note
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2019, 06:18 AM   #6
heyman
Connoisseur
heyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it is

Device: sony
6" one is the one you need to get i believe, better contrast than big size ones
heyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:37 PM   #7
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Although it's not 10 inches the Kobo Forma is extremely sharp. It's 8 inches. They're also available from Walmart in addition to ordering online. So perhaps you could check with a local Walmart and see if you could test drive one. You can rotate it so that the long side is horizontal so that could give you more space to increase the size of the text.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 02:30 AM   #8
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
I'm thinking of either the likebook mimas or the boox note. I do not plan on using the back light as that harms the eyes.
What sort of eye harm are you worried about? Is this something your ophthalmologist has said to you because of your specific situation?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:17 PM   #9
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
What sort of eye harm are you worried about? Is this something your ophthalmologist has said to you because of your specific situation?
I realise the OP should answer this, but I've heard that LED lights contribute to macular degeneration. I don't think this would apply to e-ink readers which are FRONT-lit, just to tablets and computers where the light is shining into the viewer's eyes.

I could be wrong about the OP's situation, just throwing in my pennyworth.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:41 PM   #10
frankrec

Thank you, it might be that only the back lit tablets are a risk. I only have sight in one eye and I'm very cautious. My good eye has had 5 operations, and is only so so. Thank you
Old 05-20-2019, 08:38 PM   #11
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Thank you, it might be that only the back lit tablets are a risk. I only have sight in one eye and I'm very cautious. My good eye has had 5 operations, and is only so so. Thank you
Probably best to chat to your eye doctor, assuming he/she knows what eink is.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:42 AM   #12
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
There is a (inconclusive, but cannot be completely discounted) link between long-term exposure to very high intensity blue light (including sunlight) and macular degeneration. A sensible level of warm frontlighting doesn't fall into that category.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:48 AM   #13
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
There is a (inconclusive, but cannot be completely discounted) link between long-term exposure to very high intensity blue light (including sunlight) and macular degeneration. A sensible level of warm frontlighting doesn't fall into that category.
Does sensible level non-warm front lighting fall into that category?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 04:52 PM   #14
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Does sensible level non-warm front lighting fall into that category?
Any lighting on current devices and displays is safe compared to our environmental exposure.

I have not seen any well constructed research into environmental exposure compared to that from displays, probably because it is blindingly obvious that environmental exposure is very much greater and, of course, is dependent on season, latitude, time of day, etc. and display. But no doubt they exist because I see estimates (e.g. by Zeiss) that exposure to blue light under an overcast sky is approximately 30 times that from a typical display.

So, taking that as an example, one would have to read on a typical display for approximately 30 hours to have the same exposure as one hour exposed to an overcast sky. Furthermore, under natural light one is also exposed to the fact that the blue light extends strongly into the ultraviolet and while the jury is out somewhat on what extent UV plays in degeneration, cataracts, pterygium, etc. there is little doubt there is some danger because we know the negative effects of UV on skin (degeneration, solar keratosis, various cancers, and other lesions).

So, if one applies the sensibility test, exposure to blue light from devices is not significant compared to our other exposures to it and those who are concerned about blue light from their device causing eye disease but are fans of E Ink because it enables them to read outside seem to be unaware of the facts.

Last edited by AnotherCat; 05-24-2019 at 04:55 PM.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 05:32 PM   #15
frankrec

Wow, that is well thought out. Thank you very much

Tags
high contrast, large