Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-21-2022, 11:46 PM   #1
codychan
Groupie
codychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
How to replace the book on Kobo device without losing the Annotations?

I know most likely the answer is no. But I still would like to ask this here.

This happens a lot to me. When I'm reading a book on Kobo, after I have read it for a while, there will be Reading Stats for this book such as reading position, total reading time, most importantly I may already have multiple "Annotations" or "Notes" inside the book, I notice I need to change the style of the book, such as the font is fixed I cannot change the font family on Kobo or I need to use different fonts for different sections in the book, or the line height and margin issues, or something like these. My current solution is, edit this book using Calibre's built-in program called "ebook-edit", connect Kobo with my PC, delete the book on Kobo and resend the modified book into my Kobo device, but if I use this solution, all info about this book on my Kobo device will be gone, especially the "Annotations/Notes".

So can I resend the modified book into my Kobo device without losing the "Annotations/Notes"?

Last edited by codychan; 04-22-2022 at 07:29 PM.
codychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 12:04 AM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by codychan View Post

This happens a lot to me. When I'm reading a book on Kobo, after I have read it for a while, there will be Reading Stats for this book such as reading position, total reading time, most importantly I may already have multiple "Annotations" or "Notes" inside the book, I notice I need to change the style of the book, such as the font is fixed I cannot change the font family on Kobo or I need to use different fonts for different sections in the book, or the line height and margin issues, or something like these. My current solution is, edit this book using Calibre's built-in program called "ebook-edit", connect Kobo with my PC, delete the book on Kobo and resend the modified book into my Kobo device, but if I use this solution, all info about this book on my Kobo device will be gone, especially the "Annotations/Notes".

So can I resend the modified book into my Kobo device without losing the "Annotations/Notes"?
If you haven't modified the ToC, split files or other major surgery, you could check Do not treat replacements as new books checkbox on the Collections, covers & uploads tab of either the KoboTouch or KoboTouchExtended driver. Basically, don't delete the book, just resend the modified copy.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2022, 04:05 AM   #3
codychan
Groupie
codychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If you haven't modified the ToC, split files or other major surgery, you could check Do not treat replacements as new books checkbox on the Collections, covers & uploads tab of either the KoboTouch or KoboTouchExtended driver. Basically, don't delete the book, just resend the modified copy.
Thanks, already checked that option.

Just tried it, do some simple edits like line-height/font-size/font-family/margin, resend the book, the position and annotations are still there.

Sometimes I delete html/css/image/font in the book or even regenerate the whole ToC or use something like `page-break-before:always` in css which will split html, I'll do more tests when such things happen.
codychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 12:18 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by codychan View Post

Just do the editing before you send the eBooks to your Kobo. In most cases, there is going to be poor formatting that you'll want to fix. I do this and I get a very good reading experience.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annotations, calibre, kobo