Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-21-2022, 01:18 PM   #31
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
That's not a 3rd party manual; it's the real Kobo manual.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Thanks for the information. I really thought that was written by a dedicated fan. I can't imagine why Kobo don't host it on their own site.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 01:47 PM   #32
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry for all the questions. I can't see anywhere on the Kobo drive to sideload books. I'm trying to put a PDF file (user manual) on the reader. I know this isn't a great format.
When I open the drive, I can see: ADE, Kobo, Kobo Images. If I look inside Kobo the only file which looks like it contains books is called Kepub. But where do I put non-kepub books, such as epubs and this PDF?

I've tried doing this using Calibre, but Calibre doesn't appear to see the Libra - there's no "Send to Device" icon.

Help would be appreciated. I'm new to Kobos. Thanks.
Advert
Old 03-21-2022, 02:16 PM   #33
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
What version of calibre are you using?

Could you run calibre in debug mode and post the logfile after connecting the Kobo.

On the Kobo website, goto My Account / My Books https://www.kobo.com/ca/en/library?filter=Books

Underneath each book I see a menu of ... Selecting that gives me an option to download, which in turn gives me an ACSM file that has to be opened by ADE to provide an Epub.

Alternatively, you can use OBOK (part of the NoDRM plugin) that will retrieve a kepub format book from the Kobo desktop program.

Update: See https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/artic...-device-or-app

Last edited by PeterT; 03-21-2022 at 02:37 PM.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 02:34 PM   #34
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not sure how I missed this --> https://www.kobo.com/userguides

Old 03-21-2022, 02:40 PM   #35
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Sorry for all the questions. I can't see anywhere on the Kobo drive to sideload books. I'm trying to put a PDF file (user manual) on the reader. I know this isn't a great format.
When I open the drive, I can see: ADE, Kobo, Kobo Images. If I look inside Kobo the only file which looks like it contains books is called Kepub. But where do I put non-kepub books, such as epubs and this PDF?
The User Guide PDF can be treated as a special case, see attached Windows screenshot. If you drag-drop it to
Code:
DriveLetter:\.kobo\guide\userguide.pdf
then you will be able to access it via the Kobo GUI, i.e.
More > Help > Other Resources User Guide

You will need to create the .kobo\guide subdirectory if it's not already there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo_userguide.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	192882  
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2022, 02:49 PM   #36
BookCat
C L J

I'm using an old version of Calibre, recommended on the website for people still using Windows 7: 3.48

After posting the query I googled how to sideload books onto kobo libra 2. These said that as long as the books weren't DRM'd to just put them into the Kobo drive on the pc. I've done this with a couple of Dickens from this site, and the user guide. I can't see any of them.
As these books weren't bought from Kobo, I'm not sure syncing would help? I earlier downloaded a low priced Austen and Delphi Complete Works of Shakespeare (bought from Kobo) - he'll be better at 7" - and these are fine. It's just the sideloaded (nothing to do with kobo) that I can't see, I'm not sure they're going in the right place.

I'm used to kindles. With those, you had to put books into the Documents folder on the drive, so I'm wondering if there's a correct place to put kobo books.

jackie_w I've just seen your post. I tried putting it in the Guide folder, but didn't look in the right place to find it. Unfortunately, when I reattached the reader to the computer, I deleted it! I'll try this again. Thanks.

Last edited by BookCat; 03-21-2022 at 02:52 PM.
Old 03-21-2022, 03:04 PM   #37
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
The User Guide PDF can be treated as a special case, see attached Windows screenshot. If you drag-drop it to
Code:
DriveLetter:\.kobo\guide\userguide.pdf
then you will be able to access it via the Kobo GUI, i.e.
More > Help > Other Resources User Guide

You will need to create the .kobo\guide subdirectory if it's not already there.
I did this exactly as suggested. I'm looking in More, Help, but under Other Resources it just suggests that I visit help.kobo.com or contact Kobo Customer Care!!!
Old 03-21-2022, 03:12 PM   #38
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I did this exactly as suggested. I'm looking in More, Help, but under Other Resources it just suggests that I visit help.kobo.com or contact Kobo Customer Care!!!
Did you use the exact filename and subdirectory name I posted? Don't forget the Kobo is a Linux device, not Windows, and so, in general, case may matter, i.e.
.kobo\guide not .kobo\Guide
userguide.pdf not UserGuide.pdf (or any other original filename you downloaded)

If all else fails try a full reboot after you've copied it to the right place

P.S. Don't put your books in \.kobo Create a new subdirectory, e.g. \Books (can be anything you like) in the root of the attached drive.

Last edited by jackie_w; 03-21-2022 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-21-2022, 04:52 PM   #39
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Did you use the exact filename and subdirectory name I posted? Don't forget the Kobo is a Linux device, not Windows, and so, in general, case may matter, i.e.
.kobo\guide not .kobo\Guide
userguide.pdf not UserGuide.pdf (or any other original filename you downloaded)

If all else fails try a full reboot after you've copied it to the right place

P.S. Don't put your books in \.kobo Create a new subdirectory, e.g. \Books (can be anything you like) in the root of the attached drive.
Everything was correct except for capital letters in the name of the pdf, so I've changed these. Other Resources is still just giving a link to kobo.com.

I've been reading through an old text file in which I kept cut-and-paste notes from MR from when I bought a Kobo Mini for a friend of mine and wanted to put books on it. According to that, you can put books into any folder whose name isn't preceded by a dot. I don't know if this is still the case.

I wondered if my usb port was okay, but have successfully loaded a book onto one of my kindles.

How do I fully reboot the Kobo? Is this the same as a Factory Reset?
Thanks.

(My poor cat is getting really fed up with me!)
Old 03-21-2022, 05:36 PM   #40
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
How do I fully reboot the Kobo? Is this the same as a Factory Reset?
No, don't do a Factory reset. Full reboot just means full power cycle, i.e. switch it off with long press (3-4 seconds) of On/Off button until it fully shuts down rather than simple short press which just puts it in standby.
Old 03-21-2022, 05:52 PM   #41
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
No, don't do a Factory reset. Full reboot just means full power cycle, i.e. switch it off with long press (3-4 seconds) of On/Off button until it fully shuts down rather than simple short press which just puts it in standby.
I've tried that several times throughout the process because it's used with kindles when books are stuck indexing.
I've just tried it again, but there's no change.

I'm going to play with the file system, creating a file called Books and putting a few public domain epubs in it to see if they show.
Old 03-21-2022, 06:50 PM   #42
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=12

Old 03-21-2022, 07:40 PM   #43
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I've tried that several times throughout the process because it's used with kindles when books are stuck indexing.
I've just tried it again, but there's no change.
Then I don't know what else to suggest because I've done exactly what I described on my own Libra2 and it works fine for me as you can see in this screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_001.png
Views:	106
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	192885  
Old 03-21-2022, 08:07 PM   #44
ableal
Enthusiast
ableal began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook (2009), Kobo Clara HD (2018), Kobo Libra 2 (2022)
Quote:

I've turned off his wifi and will now try to read a freebie on him. If all goes well I'll purchase a third party cover from Amazon which has a silly graffiti design, sleep cover and stands the reader.
This cover particularly amuses me: https://www.amazon.es/-/pt/gp/product/B09MS8MJL2

ableal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 08:11 PM   #45
ableal
Enthusiast
ableal began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook (2009), Kobo Clara HD (2018), Kobo Libra 2 (2022)
Quote:

After posting the query I googled how to sideload books onto kobo libra 2. These said that as long as the books weren't DRM'd to just put them into the Kobo drive on the pc. I've done this with a couple of Dickens from this site, and the user guide. I can't see any of them.
In the PC, are you ejecting the Kobo drive before unplugging?
ableal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
libra 2, thinking of buying