Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-26-2022, 11:14 AM   #16
Grahamk
Grahamk doesn't litterGrahamk doesn't litter

Device: Kobo One
Thanks for kepubify v4. I can now convert my epub to kepub and load them from my IPad to my Aura One wirelessly. Before this conversion my epubs did not have the proper chapter’s or pages left in chapter’s displayed.
Grahamk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 05:01 PM   #17
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is there any reason you cannot upgrade to Windows 10? It would make your life so much easier.
Or Linux Mint... even better

I've found that there are usually reasons why people stick with one OS instead of going with another and try to work with what they use.

I've downloaded the Linux version and tried it, also tried the Web version — both work well. Now if Kobo would just give us the option for page numbering that doesn't change when font sizes or margins change.

But really good work on Kepubify. Can't get much easier. Thanks to geek1011.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2022, 09:15 PM   #18
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is there any reason you cannot upgrade to Windows 10? It would make your life so much easier.
Simply that I don't like Windows 10 and think that 7 was the last good OS microsoft had. Also a bit miffed that MS claimed that 10 would be the last Windows version but now have 11.

I stayed with Windows XP until MS stopped faffing about and eventually released a decent operating system. Didn't bother with Vista etc.

Bottom line: I stay with 7 because I like it.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 09:49 PM   #19
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Simply that I don't like Windows 10 and think that 7 was the last good OS microsoft had. Also a bit miffed that MS claimed that 10 would be the last Windows version but now have 11.

I stayed with Windows XP until MS stopped faffing about and eventually released a decent operating system. Didn't bother with Vista etc.

best wishes koboy
koboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 12:57 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Or Linux Mint... even better

I've found that there are usually reasons why people stick with one OS instead of going with another and try to work with what they use.

I've downloaded the Linux version and tried it, also tried the Web version — both work well. Now if Kobo would just give us the option for page numbering that doesn't change when font sizes or margins change.

But really good work on Kepubify. Can't get much easier. Thanks to geek1011.
Kobo does give you the ability to change the font, font size, line hight, and font weight without the page number changing. Just use RMSDK to read ePub and you have this.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2022, 01:00 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

The thing is, things you sre trying to do are either going to be a hassle or won't work. Windows 10 will make your life with your Libra 2 so much easier. Plus, I think Windows 10 is better then Windows 7. I have used both and would go for 10 over 7 easily.
Old 04-28-2022, 01:02 AM   #22
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
XP was the last version of Windows I used regularly. When I heard they were gong to "end of life" it I finally moved permanently to Linux. They actually kept putting off EOL for XP for about three or four years but, by then I had already moved over and didn't go back.

Quote:
You're not alone. There's still many Windows 7 users out there.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 07:08 PM   #23
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Oh wow, I just realized that I can run the arm version of seriesmeta locally on a Kobo by running

Code:
seriesmeta /mnt/onboard/
and it works, no computer needed! Not sure why it took me this long to figure that out, lol.

So I'm thinking maybe I should keep a copy of kepubify on this thing too just in case, but I'm not sure which version to get: The regular arm version, or the arm v6 version. Does anyone know which version will run better on a Kobo? I'm not sure what version/generation the cpu is.
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 11:59 PM   #24
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
You'll want ARM v7
sherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 01:30 PM   #25
mrecom
mrecom began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Is it possible to have the output be *.kepub format? I ask because in Calibre it is nice to be able to differentiate from original epub version and kepub.
mrecom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 09:02 PM   #26
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrecom View Post
Is it possible to have the output be *.kepub format? I ask because in Calibre it is nice to be able to differentiate from original epub version and kepub.
That depends on what you are asking.

If you are asking about what is on the device, it has to be ".kepub.epub". That is what the device looks for. If you put it on the device a just ".kepub", the book will be ignored.

In calibre, the extension used is ".kepub". That is because calibre, like most other applications, are looking at the normal extension. If you want to add a kepub to calibre, then you should use that. But, it I do not believe kepubify has a way to add the generated kepub to calibre. Personally, I think storing kepubs that have been generated from other formats in calibre is pointless. There is no use for them except to send to a Kobo device. Calibre will let you view them, but, you cannot edit them. If you need to fix something, you will probably be better to fix it in the original book and generate the kepub again for your device.

But, if you really want to add the kepubs to calibre, there are plenty of ways to change the extension.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 03:55 AM   #27
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrecom View Post
Yes: the option --calibre will generate a file with .kepub instead of .kepub.epub as the output extension. The only use of this option is to have a file that can be added to calibre. You can see the help page of kepubify. And of course, as said davidfor, You can always manually change the file extension.
But in my opinion even though kepubify is faster, if You want to add the kepub file to calibre it is usually not worth using kepubify instead of calibre to create it. It can be useful only if for some reason the conversion is very very long with calibre and it is faster with Kepubify.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 04:15 AM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

kepubify is best if you want to use the command line to convert from ePub to KePub.
Old 08-02-2022, 08:19 AM   #29
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
But in my opinion even though kepubify is faster, if You want to add the kepub file to calibre it is usually not worth using kepubify instead of calibre to create it. It can be useful only if for some reason the conversion is very very long with calibre and it is faster with Kepubify.
I'm not sure I agree with this. Default settings Calibre uses for book conversion are optimized for converting from non-ebook documents, and can quickly make undesired changes to book formatting. Common examples are changing font sizes and in-appropriate page splits between graphic, chapter title and subtitle.

It's easy to fix this when you are very familiar with the conversion settings, but for people who don't edit books often, a kepub converter that *won't* mangle the book might be a good idea.

This doesn't apply too book converted on the fly by the kobo touch extended plugin, which is probably the recommended way to do it for most. But one benefit of converting and storing the kepub is the ability to download kepub from the content server if you like to get your books that way.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 08:40 AM   #30
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
I'm not sure I agree with this. Default settings Calibre uses for book conversion are optimized for converting from non-ebook documents, and can quickly make undesired changes to book formatting. Common examples are changing font sizes and in-appropriate page splits between graphic, chapter title and subtitle.

It's easy to fix this when you are very familiar with the conversion settings, but for people who don't edit books often, a kepub converter that *won't* mangle the book might be a good idea.

This doesn't apply too book converted on the fly by the kobo touch extended plugin, which is probably the recommended way to do it for most. But one benefit of converting and storing the kepub is the ability to download kepub from the content server if you like to get your books that way.
All of that is why I usually use the word "transform" for what the KoboTouchExtended driver does. Calibre's conversion does so much more, and there is a plugin for kepub conversion, so I want to make the distinction. What kepubify does is basically the same as the extended driver, so I'd use transform for it as well.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, epub, kepub, kepubify